Which wireless earbuds

giotecno

Standard Member
Reaction score
Folks I narrowed down to 3 wireless earphones.

• Cambridge audio melomania 1
  • Sony wf-1000xm3
  • Libratone track air+
I have a phone which has Aptx and would prefer USB-C however, sound quality and comfort is more important than anything else.

Any thoughts. Price is not a factor thx.

I'm in the same predicament and likely to go for the Sony wf-1000xm3. Primarily because of ANC, along with the customization you can do in the Sony app on your phone.

The latest F-Ware release allows you to now change the volume on the ear-pieces which was most reviewers biggest bug-bear (as you had to use your phone when they were initially released).

Some good reviews on YT, especially this one -

The Cambridge's are good value for money now but can only be updated via Android which doesn't help me, plus they look a bit Frankenstein'ish. The fit is supposed to be a bit 'meh' (although that is very personal) and I don't like the idea of pressing a physical button on the bud to skip tracks/ volume etc...

There is also no supporting app, which is probably not a bad thing as if it was anything like their 'Cambridge Connect' app it will have been developed based on getting to market quickly vs. features / user experience. However, some very good reviews on YT. Just be aware that What Hi-Fi? give everything with a CA badge a 5-star rating.

Build quality will be excellent as per all their equipment. I own a CXR, CXN, CXA & CP1 and they are all superb.

By from Amazon and return if needed (at cost).

Thx for the great advice and resources. I think I will go with the Sony as I have been happy with the quality of their products and based on reviews etc. Thx again

No problem. Let me know how you get on as I’m pulling the trigger soon too.

Just remember that IEMs need to have the exact fit in you ears else they can sound tinny so try the different buds that come with them.

I think for the money the CA are the better buy as you can't really compare sub 100 quid buds with 200 quid ones and budget is usually the first consideration tbh...If money no object then the Sony no doubt about it bar the caveat the lack of waterproofing hurts the Sonys if you are a gym or run bunny. As I have said elsewhere here once I had the new larger foam buds my fit worries disappeared and I found these exceptionally good.

I've been looking for earbuds for a while.
I bought a pair of AirPod Pros from Argos (seems to be the only UK stock at the moment, or was 2 weeks ago) and I've just returned them.

They're superb quality, look great, comfortable, pair with iPhone, iPad, MacBook and MacMini with no problems, and the sound quality was excellent - neutral, but really well-balanced.

BUT - I just soundly get a good seal and fit, so the ANC just wasn't working unless I held them in (which defeats the object!). I bought some after-market foam tips (described as "Memory Foam" but wasn't) and that didn't work either. Shame there's no Comply ones available yet.

So back they went - not without problem as Argos' returns policy says they must be unopened, so I had to say they were faulty (a bit naughty, but for £250 I couldn't justify holding on to them.

Now I'm torn -
The Sony's get great reviews, but I'm not sold on the appearance.
I'd like to try the Jabra Elite 75Ts too as they get nice reviews.
But - I'm fancying the look of the new B&O E8 MkIII and the Bose Earbud 500s when they're available.

Decisions - decisions....

I think for £165 the Sony’s are good VFM and worth the extra money for the additional features (app and ANC). They seam to get really consistent reviews too.

I was originally put off by the looks (reminding me of a handsfree ear-piece) but with the tech inside them I don’t think can be much smaller.

I will get the sony this week but also agree the look isn't very appealing but the technology apparently is second to none.the libratones look really good.
I just don't know what to expect for sound as I had the sennheiser momentum true wireless 6 months ago and they were very good but sold them due to ear fitment. Bloody decisions :)

I have the Sony’s and can confirm they are the dogs danglies.

I have the Sony’s and can confirm they are the dogs danglies.
I know I said I didn't like the look, but I wouldn't go that far.... ;)

As an aside - and in relation to my point above regarding returning the AirPods I bought - how do you test earbuds in any meaningful way?

I know Bose and B&O offer a complete return/refund policy if you buy directly from them (which suggests they're very confident you'll like their products enough to keep them) and decide it's not for you.

But as far as I can tell, every other retailer will only accept a return and give a refund if the it item is as it was supplied - i.e. unopened and unused. Obviously, if something is faulty you're covered, but not because you've bought it, tried it and decided you don't like it.

Even trying them in a store, if you can find one that will let you (and with earbuds it begs a question around hygiene, reusing earbuds someone else has had in their ears), IME you need a few hours to try them properly.

So true, if only we could try. I am torn between the libratones and the sonys. The only reason I would go with Sony is because the reviews have been mainly positive but I am still not convinced on the way they look and petrude out.

Over the last few years I've bought around 3-4 pairs of over-ear and IEM's from Amazon.
I've opened them carefully, used them and returned them for a full refund with no hassle.
I take great care when opening them without damaging any of the packaging and tend not to open or use any of the accessories such as charging cables, user manuals etc.
I suspect (although it would be good to get confirmed from someone in the know) that Amazon have some type of contract with manufacturers and suppliers that allow them to return open/used items where the likes of ear tips and other disposable items are replaced.

I've opened them carefully, used them and returned them for a full refund with no hassle.
I take great care when opening them without damaging any of the packaging and tend not to open or use any of the accessories such as charging cables, user manuals etc.
The people I spoke to in Argos just said no because I'd removed the outer cellophane wrapping.
I tried all three sets of tips, but refitted the S & L into the packaging - you wouldn't have known they'd been out (I also wiped all three sets with antiseptic wipes, but for my one peace of mind as much as anything else).
I seriously can't see how you can tell anything about ANY product while it's sealed!!!
Especially in a store where it's impossible to look at anything before you buy it.

I always check the returns policy at Argos which differs from item to item.
They always state certain items are excluded under their 30 days return policy etc so I always check carefully.
That's why I use Amazon for buy and try, under the myriad of reasons for return I usually select “didn't meet expectations” (forget the actual wording) or similar.
I more often than not end up keeping one of the items after trying them.

I will get the sony this week but also agree the look isn't very appealing but the technology apparently is second to none.the libratones look really good.
I just don't know what to expect for sound as I had the sennheiser momentum true wireless 6 months ago and they were very good but sold them due to ear fitment. Bloody decisions :)

What did you go with in the end?

You can barely see the Sony’s when you’re wearing them to be fair. The only issue is the size of the case.

I bought the sonys in the end and I am very impressed with the sound and build quality. I stand by what I said regarding the way they look and they do stick out a bit. Also the supplied ear tips are not great, I bought some InAirs Air1 foam tips and they seal well and comfy. Overall I am pleased, no such thing as a perfect product but the sound quality and ANC is amazing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom