Whisky drinkers? Which is best?

So, having just been on a distillery tour, I'm tempted to treat myself to a nice bottle of whisky, up to around the £50 mark.

My previous go to at that price was the Aberlour A'Bunadh, enjoyed a few bottles of that that over the years, but I won't pay the new price.

In not a fan of anything heavily peated or smoked, but open to most suggestions. ;)

I can't remember how much I paid for mine (batch 61) but I know it was enough to not want to drink it too often! Especially at 61%, definitely a weekend dram. Nice though

It's very nice, much like a pudding indeed. I should get another bottle at some point, my first one was a gift...

The nice thing about the Lagavulin 16 is that although it's pretty strong with smoke and peat, so far I've found it to be the most pleasant and drinkable combination. I got a bottle of Talisker Storm for example and frankly it's just plain horrible. Not sure which ones of your recommendations would fit that mould?
Well I've a bottle of the Benriach and Bunna coming tomorrow I hope so can let you know what they are like....
.....I'll try to ignore the Talisker Storm comment. Though I did say the same for the Lagavulin, so tit for tat.

My guess is the Bunna will to your liking.

It's typical isn't it... no activity on this thread for a couple of months and then, as soon as I start my October no alcohol month, temptation abounds ;) :D

It's typical isn't it... no activity on this thread for a couple of months and then, as soon as I start my October no alcohol month, temptation abounds ;) :D
Good luck - I did it a few years ago. Raised a few ££ for charity and couldn't;t wait to have a drink at the end. :D

Amazon are streaming a live tasting tonight at 7:30.
Screenshot_20191024_092449.jpg

Anyone got an opinion on Berry Bros and Rudd? Looking at the speyside and sherry cask on Amazon today but can't find much in the way of reviews.

Anyone got an opinion on Berry Bros and Rudd? Looking at the speyside and sherry cask on Amazon today but can't find much in the way of reviews.

They’re well regarded in the wine business. Or is it that the whiskey is “made” by them?

For blended it looks quite expensive, regardless of reviews. With decent deals you can get a nice single malt for the same money - especially from Lidl/Aldi.

Not long back from visiting my daughter in Dubai. Very little choice in the restaurants (Johnnie Walker everywhere), but some excellent options at the airport.
None available to taste, of course, but picked up a bottle of Writer's Tears Copper Pot for around £24.
It's a lovely Irish single malt/single pot still, triple-distilled, as with lots of Irish whiskies. Very smooth.

30B4ED78-829F-46AF-92C8-0663DF979909.jpeg

The Glenfarclas 15 and Cardhu Gold were from Christmas.
The rest have been with me a while:
L-R: Glenfarclas 15, Writer’s Tears (Irish Single Malt purchased “blind” at Dubai International Airport), Teeling Irish Single Malt, Glenmorangie The Tarlogan (another airport purchase) Redbreast single pot still (possibly my favourite Irish whiskey), Glenmorangie La Santa, Jura Origin (unopened - one of the last before they went onto the new malts), Tamnavulin, Jura 10 Years (the new malt), Penderyn Welsh Rich Oak (their nicest single malt to date, IMO), Sullivan’s Cove American Oak (boxed, award-winning single malt bought at the distillery in Hobart, Tasmania), The Chita (Japanese blend), The Balvenie 12-y-o Triple cask, Cardhu.
I’d asked for the Glenfarclas for Christmas but the Cardhu was a nice surprise - and a whisky I’ve never tried.

I've been drinking more and more whisky recently, it started to get expensive, especially because my whisky of choice is the lagavulin 16yr. I've discovered a big money-saver, a whisky called 'Highland Black' blended 8yr from Aldi. It's nothing spectacular but at £13 for 70cl its an absolute bargain and better than many others sold at double the price in my humble opinion. I save the lagavulin for special occasions.

IMG_20200118_132909.jpg

I've been drinking more and more whisky recently, it started to get expensive, especially because my whisky of choice is the lagavulin 16yr. I've discovered a big money-saver, a whisky called 'Highland Black' blended 8yr from Aldi. It's nothing spectacular but at £13 for 70cl its an absolute bargain and better than many others sold at double the price in my humble opinion. I save the lagavulin for special occasions.

View attachment 1246222

Is it peated or smoky.

I was working an event last night. It was late and the party was in its final half an hour. The caterer and I sat down and he offered me a Whisky. I had never tasted one like it! It was a Whyte and Mckay 30 year old bottle. Just so smooooooth! I've never been a huge whisky drinker but I have been searching online for the past hour and cannot find a bottle anywhere. I'm gutted!

I was working an event last night. It was late and the party was in its final half an hour. The caterer and I sat down and he offered me a Whisky. I had never tasted one like it! It was a Whyte and Mckay 30 year old bottle. Just so smooooooth! I've never been a huge whisky drinker but I have been searching online for the past hour and cannot find a bottle anywhere. I'm gutted!
Hope you got deep pockets if you do.

This is a lovely one. Laddie has never failed me with their whiskies. It's a touch pricey (£70) for an 8yo, but the rarity of the barely used will always keep this price high.

Very smooth especially for 50%.

An auction ended on a bottle of Whyte and McKay yesterday before I saw it. Went for £220 which I think I would have matched tbh. Will check out the Laddie, thanks. Any others worth checking out that are a little pricier?

The "ordinary" White & McKay is very nice - and very reasonably priced (and often on offer).

Never tried a 30-y-o, but I can only imagine what it was like.

Having had a few 30-y-o malts (Highland Park, Glenfarclas to name 2) and compared to their younger ones, you can tell how they mature as they get older.

An auction ended on a bottle of Whyte and McKay yesterday before I saw it. Went for £220 which I think I would have matched tbh. Will check out the Laddie, thanks. Any others worth checking out that are a little pricier?
Laddies?

Well Black Art of course. Just so moreish. I've had two bottles that haven't last very long. The latest one sounds great. 25yo where as the others I think have been 21yo. Unpeated, but still very complex.

If you want pleated the Octomore is the one to go for. Again a young offering, but flavour profile is seriously good and defies it's age.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom