Who else tries to avoid the World Cup, and what do you do to achieve it?

Tom Tom

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am not a football fan. Since leaving school and not feeling like I have to like football to have friends I try to avoid it as much as possible.

I also hate the flags on cars and drunken national pride that always feels aggressive rather than patriotic. (I feel it is more prevalent with football than say rugby or cricket).

So with the World Cup about to hit us again. How do you avoid the work talk / games etc that are now surely about to take over.

I have two massive TV screens above my desk I am sure 95% of the office are going to want to have the games on! Time to plug in to spotify and try to ignore everything going on around me.

(With that any good rock/melodic metal albums you can suggest I should give a go to)

The first thing I do is put a filter on my work email that sends any messages which refer to the football, World Cup etc to the trash!

I don't work in an office now but when I did, it always annoyed me that they relaxed the working hours rules and set up screens in the staff lounge for people to watch football matches, but never did it for any other sports or events.

I am not a football or any sport fan but I do try to support my national team which is England and as they never stay long in a football competition these days I don't tend to watch many matches.
As for the rest it does not bother me, millions enjoy the game of football and good luck to them, if it gets a bit over the top so what it is only 4 weeks.

Last edited:
I am not a football or any sport fan but I do try to support my nation team which is England and as they never stay long in a football competition these days I don't tend to watch many matches.
As for the rest it does not bother me, millions enjoy the game of football and good luck to them, if it gets a bit over the top so what it is only 1 week.

FTFY, and anyone else that supports England!;)

Last edited:
I don't watch football at all, aside from the Adam & Joe song I hate everything about it.

I have no problem avoiding it. The Mrs watches it, as she does Wimbledon. I go in my room and watch BDs :)

Simple - Netflix and a Zelda blitz :). If anyone tries to engage me in a football related conversation, I stare two inches above their left shoulder with a slack, unfocused expression on my face and that usually does the trick.

I don't move in football-fan crowds so avoiding it will be a simple matter of business as usual :)

I know what it stands for.
The suggestion is that if you only follow England they will be coming home after a week, so you won't be watching it for 4 weeks, as you commented: "I don't tend to watch many matches"

I am not a football or any sport fan but I do try to support my nation team which is England and as they never stay long in a football competition these days I don't tend to watch many matches.

I'm even luckier than you. I'm Scottish so I don't need to watch any games. :)

The suggestion is that if you only follow England they will be coming home after a week, so you wwon't be watching it for 4 weeks
Errm, I thought that I had made that plain enough in my original post:
I do try to support my nation team which is England and as they never stay long in a football competition these days I don't tend to watch many matches.
Which is why I have been confused.

I'm even luckier than you. I'm Scottish so I don't need to watch any games. :)
I'm in Scotland, self exiled Englishman for the past 40 years. Oh the banter I have enjoyed over sporting events involving England and Scotland.

I do try to support my nation team which is England and as they never stay long in a football competition these days I don't tend to watch many matches.

Oddly enough, I had just edited that into my post. But that's the point, when you said it was only on for 4 weeks, it was suggested that that was rather optimistic.

In your post you mention supporting England and it lasting 4 weeks.

He FTFY(Fixed that for you) and in the quote section changed it to 1 week.

I also find it frustrating that people can't comprehend that you don't care. I avoid all teams (national one more so as it's that one that is affecting the people I may have to deal with daily) and they just want to say, "I get not supporting a team but your national side...."

It's then I mention the Welsh connection I have and usually that means football is no longer an issue :p

I'm not interested in football either, if I happen to be watching TV and England are playing then I might watch it.
I most probably wont be going out of my way to watch any of the games though.

Apologies MrFraggle, I’ll try to be less obscure in future. :)

Seems odd to actively avoid it tbh if people start chatting football, just sack up and say you're not interested. Jobs a good'un. :smashin:

I don’t care about football one bit until it comes to the Euros and the World Cup.

As the current world champions, I can’t wait for us to win this World Cup, again. To make it five times.

Hopefully England manage to do something this time. It would be good for the country. A bit like how the olympics went.

The first thing I do is put a filter on my work email that sends any messages which refer to the football, World Cup etc to the trash!

I don't work in an office now but when I did, it always annoyed me that they relaxed the working hours rules and set up screens in the staff lounge for people to watch football matches, but never did it for any other sports or events.
Great idea, I've just fine this. Would be great to have the power to remove certain words from people's actual spoken vocabulary!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom