Why are my new speakers (Klipsch RP-600M) so much quieter than my old speakers (ELAC Debut 6.2) with the same amp?

rkeiii

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Beocreate amp that has 2x 60 watt channels supposedly capable of driving 2-8 Ohm speakers. It uses 3x of these TI class D amplifiers: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa3129d2.pdf.

I originally paired this amp with ELAC Debut 6.2 speakers which have 6 Ohm impedance and a sensitivity of 87db. These work pretty well. They play reasonably loud and I like the sound.

Yesterday I received a pair of Klipsch RP-600M speakers in the mail. I plug them into the 60 watt channels on my Beocreate amp and was immediately surprised by how quiet the speakers are. Despite the 96db sensitivity rating my little amp doesn't seem to be able to get much volume out of these speakers. This was very surprising to me because I'd heard of people using these Klipsch speakers happily with low power tube amps so I thought they would be a good fit for my Beocreate amps.

So my real question is, why do the ELAC Debut 6.2 speakers produce much more volume from the same amp than the Klipsch RP-600M's? The only reason I could come up with was that this must be a result of the change in impedance from 6 Ohms to 8 Ohms in the speakers but I'm finding conflicting/confusing information on this.

Any help would be appreciated. It would be awesome to find out this is something I could fix with proper tuning/configuration but I'm starting to lose hope.

Not wanting to teach Granny to suck eggs -

Double check you have connected red-red and black-black between the amp and the speakers plus if you are bi-wiring the jumpers are removed or if you are not bi-wiring the jumpers are there. If they are also new, speakers, unlike a lot of hifi, can change after being used for a few hours (20-100) as the mechanical parts loosen up so may be worth leaving them on at mid volume for a while whilst out if you can.

Theoretically, for the same power the Klipsch should sound twice as loud (6dB difference in sensitivity).

I'm an idiot. Somehow I failed to realize the DSP profile I had loaded with the proper volume got removed because I reset the amp.

Thanks for the reply anyway. Sorry to waste your time.

As long as it's sorted. :smashin:

Klipsch speakers are normally quite efficient due to the use of the horn coupled tweeters, so I was surprised by your initial post. I am glad you solved the issue by resetting DSP.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom