Answered Why Blu Ray Disc with 4K Disc

pat clancy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All ,why is a blu Ray disc included with the 4k release.I don't ever remember getting a DVD with a Blu ray release.It would make the price cheaper.

The only reason I can think of, is that the Extras are only on the BR. Some also have different video or audio formats.

The only reason I can think of, is that the Extras are only on the BR. Some also have different video or audio formats.
Oh I thought it was a blu ray version of the film included .

It's the same reason they also put a DVD version in with the blu-ray:
So you can lend the lesser quality disc to your skanky friend.

Yes, the BR has 1080p movie and 4K Disc is 2160p with HDR / DV.
Ok ,but why the Blue ray ,I understand Doby Atmos ,Dtsx ,why would you want an inferior product included.

Possibly because a household might only have one PJ/TV/4k player setup but likely more than one TV/blu ray player/games console setups in other rooms where a 4k disc only couldn’t be used.

I'ts so you can lend out the blu-ray disc to your mates/relatives that don't have a 4K blu-ray player.

No, it's none of those reasons. Money. Money is the reason.

With more discs in the package, the studios can "justify" higher prices.

No, it's none of those reasons. Money. Money is the reason.

With more discs in the package, the studios can "justify" higher prices.
Blu-rays used to come with included DVDs in the case. When blu-rays stopped coming with included DVDs the price didn't go down...

Yes I definitely remember many blus coming with the DVD version. The 4k discs tend to have little or no extras on them. By sticking in the standard blu you get the extras that are included on it as well as the actual film.

Bri

Yes I definitely remember many blus coming with the DVD version. The 4k discs tend to have little or no extras on them. By sticking in the standard blu you get the extras that are included on it as well as the actual film.

Bri
Leaving more space on the UHD for better bitrates/lower compression (although apparently a lot of UHDs aren't exactly filled to the brim :()

Leaving more space on the UHD for better bitrates/lower compression (although apparently a lot of UHDs aren't exactly filled to the brim :()

I gather most discs are dual layered rather than triple. I'm not usually that bothered by extras but they could surely put more on if all of the discs were triple layered. Those discs are more expensive to produce though. Having said that leaving out the blu should help keep the cost down.

Bri

Blu-rays used to come with included DVDs in the case. When blu-rays stopped coming with included DVDs the price didn't go down...

Blu-rays are far cheaper now than they were in the early days.

Blu-rays are far cheaper now than they were in the early days.
...so they are actually making more money now at the same retail price, than when they were in the Triple Play days (now lower costs & no DVD), so ‘more discs justifies higher prices’ doesn’t really fly.

Another reason for including the Blu-ray disc might be for those who don't own a UHD player at present, but intend to upgrade at some point in the future. It avoids having to buy the same movie twice. The cost of including a second disc is probably minimal.

I appreciate it because I don't have a 4K TV yet, but for some reason I've decided to start future proofing my collection by buying 4K movies. Having the Blu-ray allows me to at least watch the movie still, while having a better version ready for when I eventually buy a new TV.

This has come up before and dropping the Blu-Ray won’t magically reduce the price as some seem to think, Disney are the prime example as releases used to include the film, a bonus disc, a copy on DVD and a digital copy then they dropped all but the film disc but the price never changed.

The primary reason to include a Blu-Ray seems to be so it can house the extras while the UHD can be devoted entirely to the film which is certainly something I welcome.

I wish they'd offer the 4k disc on its own in a 4k case. Most of the films I would probably buy on 4k I already have on BR so I have the extras. These are repeat watch titles like the Alien movies, Indiana Jones etc. I will not pay £25+ for a film I haven't already seen and therefore know I like enough to watch again.

But if I'm honest they wouldn't reduce the price enough to really tempt me. 4k is overpriced and there's no reason to believe this will ever change. They started at £20 and are now £25 or even more. If the BR is £15, give me the chance to buy the standalone 4k for the difference.

Prices aren't really that different to those of DVD and Blu-ray in their first few years, but with multiple different formats on the shelf they will never be equally priced but you can already pick up most new releases for £20 you just need to shop around or wait a week or two.

Price isn't related to content. Some disks have lots of content, some hardly any. Some have two disks, some just one.

The only thing to be certain of is it's a premium at launch and then the price generally falls with time.

Price isn't related to content. Some disks have lots of content, some hardly any. Some have two disks, some just one.

The only thing to be certain of is it's a premium at launch and then the price generally falls with time.
Sort of my point. So I'm not sure if you're disagreeing or disagreeing with me.

And some titles have 3 discs and still cost much less than those with two discs. One title has four discs and costs the same as those with two.

The Harry Potter boxset with just 8 UHDs dropped so much content that to get what was on the earlier blu-rays you had to buy the blu-ray sets as well as the UHD boxset to get the Making of series (or as I did buy the 3 disc Australian individual releases). So all those clamouring for just UHDs in the case be careful what you wish for doesn't have unwanted consequences.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom