Question Why does Sky+HD 1080i output looks terrible on my 55" LG B9 OLED?

Doctor Hades

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I haven't really watched much Sky+HD since getting my 55" LG B9 OLED TV in late August but have recently started to catch with autumn recorded shows such as The Flash.

However, on the default 1080i output, both The Flash and even fast moving sports such as the rugby looks awful. It's hard to describe the issue but it looks jerky and there's an odd flicker (I think that is how I would describe it) that is very noticeable during scene transactions. The Flash has a lot of fast moving imagery and looks almost unwatchable IMO at 1080i. It just does not look right when the camera pans quickly but it's okay during slower pans or mostly static scenes.

Switch the Sky+HD box to 720p and the image looks so much better without changing any other settings on the TV itself. It's like the issue is with the TV's inability to deal with an interlaced image, though I might be wrong. Everything else about this TV is superb. I've watched tons of 1080p and 4K stuff on NetFlix, YouTube and disc (both BD and 4K UHD BD) with and without HDR and I cannot fault it. It looks great.

I have my Sky+HD box's HDMI connected to my Xbox One X and the console it connected to the TV. This is how I've had this set up since I got my original Xbox One back at launch and it looked absolutely fine on my previous 1080p Sony Bravia KDL-40W705C TV.

So why does 1080i look so bad on the LG B9? Is there anything I can do to "fix" the image or am I better off just sticking with 720p?

P.S. The TV has ULLM and HDR enabled for HDMI port 1 for my Xbox One X. The console reports the TV is 4K capable and all the check boxes on the TV info are... erm... checked as are the 50Hz, 60Hz, 24p and VRR boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom