Why Women Kill (CBS All Access / Alibi) upcoming S2, S1 September 11, 2020 (Alibi)

mafaa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why Women Kill Trailer Previews Three Saucy Revenge Stories | TV Guide

The series stars Ginnifer Goodwin (Once Upon a Time), Lucy Liu (Elementary), and Kirby Howell-Baptiste (Killing Eve) as a trio of women living in three very different time periods, but who all suffer infidelity from their spouses and each have murder on their minds as a result.

As the trailer shows, Goodwin's Beth Ann is a housewife in the '60s who goes to great lengths to keep her husband happy — only to find him constantly ignoring and cheating on her until she snaps. By the time she starts verbally romanticizing the idea of his death over the dinner table, it's probably too late for her dimwit hubby's compliments about the meat loaf to change her mind. Meanwhile, Liu's Simone is an '80s socialite who loves nothing more than a good party but is not ready to dance over the news that her husband has a paramour of his own. And Howell-Baptiste's Taylor is a lawyer in 2019 whose relationship is much more open than the rest... but that doesn't mean she's going to stand by and let absolutely anything go on with her husband's extramarital dalliances.

Why Women Kill is created by Desperate Housewives' Marc Cherry and also stars Jack Davenport, Sam Jaeger, Reid Scott, Alexandra Daddario, Sadie Calvano, Leo Howard, Alicia Coppola, and Katie Finneran.

Last edited:
whywomenkillposterginnifergoodwin.jpg

Ginnifer Goodwin, Why Women Kill

whywomenkillposterlucyliu.jpg

Lucy Liu, Why Women Kill

whywomenkillposterkirbyhowell-baptiste.jpg

Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Why Women Kill

Spoiler Ahead

‘Why Women Kill’ Poised To Be An Anthology Like ‘American Horror Story’ – TCA – Deadline
Regarding a possible Season 2 being akin to an anthology, Cherry said: “I have an idea of Season 2 and I’m absolutely going to try and bring back as many people as I can.” Natch, this would be with the actors as different characters, in a different setup

“There are three murders, three deaths at the end of the series, but they’re not all committed by the women you see on stage today (Goodwin, Liu or Howell-Baptiste) nor are the men (Reid Scott, Jack Davenport) necessarily the victims,” Cherry said. “And no one person is killed due to infidelity. Infidelity is just the catalyst for the series.”

9 episodes in, entertaining :laugh:

Note : finale at episode 10 :)

Last edited:

Tolman will play Alma, a timid and awkward housewife, who remains optimistic in the face of the world’s cruelty. Alma yearns for a spot in the local garden club and to see her ungainly daughter married, but her life is disrupted once she learns of her husband’s secret hobby.

Frost will play Bertram, Alma’s beloved husband who spends his days as a veterinarian putting sick and injured animals out of their misery. Always kind and good-humored, Bertram has a secret hobby that is darker than his jovial nature lets on

Parrilla will play Rita, the sardonic wife to the wealthy and evil Carlo Castillo. As she waits for her elderly husband to die, Rita runs the garden club with an iron fist and spends much of her time engaging in an affair with a younger lover.

Cannon will portray Dee, Alma’s wry and brassy daughter who works as a waitress in a local diner. Though self-deprecating, Dee can be vulnerable under her emotional armor and finds her illicit affair with a secret lover to be both exciting and humiliating.

Christie is Vern, a tough, rugged private detective. Vern is intrigued and suspicious when he’s hired to investigate Rita’s younger lover, whom she suspects is cheating on her.

Daddario will play Scooter, Rita’s gorgeous, sexy and not-so-bright lover. A charming would-be actor, Scooter is well kept by Rita but pursues a secret relationship elsewhere.

Falcón will play Catherine, Carlo Castillo’s spinster daughter. Prim and proper, Catherine detests her father’s gorgeous wife, Rita, and returns to town after a mysterious accident, seeking a way to destroy her.

This season of the dark comedy features a new ensemble cast and storylines set in 1949 that will explore what it means to be beautiful, the hidden truth behind the facades people present to the world, the effects of being ignored and overlooked by society, and finally, the lengths one woman will go in order to finally belong.

Last edited:

Williams will play Grace, one of the beautiful, wealthy, upscale women who are Rita’s (Parilla) friends and members of the exclusive garden society. Unlike the other members, though, she’s sincere and warm and befriends the outsider, Alma (Tolman).

Phillips will portray Joan, a beautiful, upscale, entitled woman who is a member of a very exclusive garden society lead by Rita (Parilla). She laments that her son is having an affair with a much older woman.

Galindo plays Isabel, Rita’s (Parilla) maid with a bit of an edge, wry and pragmatic. She is well aware that Rita is not only having an affair with a younger man, but had hoped and believed that her elderly husband would be dead by now. On the surface, Isabel is the perfect maid, who helps with the garden party and other chores, but underneath it all she may understand Rita the best

O’Malley
plays Mavis, a beautiful, upscale and entitled member of the garden club with a beautiful singing voice. Quiles plays Brenda, as beautiful and entitled as her friends and another member of Rita’s exclusive garden club.

Very impressive @mafaa. 16 posts on a topic that you've managed to keep going, all by yourself!

I'm not sure if this is on any streaming services or whether it was broadcasted in the UK, but I had Google play credits to use up so took a punt on this.

I like Marc Cherry's shows having seen all of Desperate Housewives and Devious Maids. They are easy viewing if repetitive and not too similar from each other.

Why Women Kill (at least the first season), I think is his best work. Whilst the audio-visual traits appear textbook Cherry, the daytime drama style has a more daring bite to it, with an outlook of marriage and infidelity that is less clear-cut than its pulpy opening titles leads you to believe.

The cast is largely strong, but gets progressively weaker as the timelines shift from the 60s to 21st century. Ginnifer Goodwin is simply terrific - like "Joaquin Phoenix as Joker" levels of being able to mask pain behind her trademark grin. I agree with @mafaa. That finale... wow. Just a masterclass on how to conclude a story.

Sadly I suspect @mafaa is no longer with us given the abrupt sudden stop of his posts :(

I've enjoyed the 3 seasons of this so far, just takes a while to adjus to the new setup each season.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom