Wide & Height Channels: Angle vs Distance

Mr Flibble

Established Member
Reaction score
My cinema is in a loft room, with sloping roof.

I've currently 5.1, with the FL and FR channels in the corners of the room either side of the screen.

I've always assumed that height channels aren't possible due to the low height of the room, nor wides due to the width.

If angle is actually more important than distance and Audyssey DSX will calibrate the speakers: can I place the wides and height quite a lot closer to the listener?

This will achieve the right angles, but have them half way into the room.

Thanks! :)

What is the dispersal of the speakers? Most consumer softdome speakers are fairly wide - 120 degrees or more. If so, then angle becomes less of an issue. You would want to minimise bounce of the ceiling, so quite a bit of down angle may well help.

Certainly adjusting the delay to move the speakers further away from you will help to reposition them in the sound field. There is a good chance this will work for you, but the down side is of course how to you lash it up to try it out without trashing your ceiling...

Thanks for your help!

I've currently Mission M53s floorstanders for FR/FL (review), M7C1 centre, 77DS bipoles on the rear wall. Not sure about dispersal? (couldn't see anything obvious in their tech specs)

By angle I mean position relative to the listener (e.g. moving closer will change the angle as if they were wider/higher), as opposed to the direction they are pointing.

Should I look to test it out with speakers that have narrow dispersal and pointed directly at the listener?

With DSX are the wide/height channels only used for SFX, or do I need to ensure the speakers are of similar quality to the rest?

I see what you are saying...

In terms of speaker dispersal, it is safe to assume it will be fairly wide unless the boxes are horn loaded (Like a PA or Disco speaker) this narrow HF dispersal to make them more "pointy".

I have not played with high and wide speakers as my system is lounged based and there is only so much I can do without it being noticed...

Similar voicing will help the speakers to deliver a natural extra dimension. If they are much harsher for instance, this will become very noticable. For this reason choosing speakers from the same series is a good idea.

I spoke to gecko the other day re the same and was told that in nearly every install the wides end up on the side Walls to achieve the critical angle. i have no experience in this but in the process of putting together an all triad 9.2 (with highs) system with their help and thats the advice I've been given, unfortunately my room is still at the build stage so not had a chance to play!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom