Question Wifi Calling with a Motorola G6 Plus

GMEv

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - is there any UK network that supports this specific phone with wifi calling ? This is a great phone which I only bought a year ago after intensive research that totally missed wifi calling compatibility as I took it for granted. Sometimes I miss calls and/or can't call out and it can take several minutes to send texts when there is poor reception at home. I can use WhatsApp and Messenger etc to get around some of it - but it's still inconvenient. I'm currently looking into all options from buying a new phone to signal boosters and planning to door knock the local network shops tomorrow to see what they can suggest. If anyone can share a magical (cheap) solution I would be eternally grateful. Mark.

I've got this phone and it's the best thing ever.

Just a shame that the network that I'm with doesn't support wifi calling.

The following will be of some help:

Thanks for the info - I think EE might be my best shot as they support three Motorola phones including the G6 Play. I had a trawl around many of the websites - not sure they are always up to date as I was looking at a Samsung A50 and called Sky - they confirmed wifi calling even though it's not on their website listing. I also found this website which was an interesting read - updated 16th Jan 2020 - although I am not sure of the validity of the comments for some providers about supporting wifi calling but not SMS as my good lady uses Vodafone wifi calling and doesn't seem to have any issue.

No luck via any of the network stores - EE even tried their own SIM in my phone but to no avail.
So it's down to a new phone or move house :)

this is likely of no help at all but I just replaced my Moto G5S which I was very happy with and the main reason was that it did support wifi calling and 6 months after I got it 3 and it seems all other providers drops wifi calling via an app and made it native hardware supported only which left me out in the cold. It also had a pretty crap reception compared to any other phone it seems comparing it my other half's or friends it was always lower in bars or none when they had some service which made the lose of wifi support a real pain. Sorry to see that the support for it on the G6 is also oddly links to the build of the phone.

for me it was the ability to receive texts - most commonly from Microsoft purchases or my bank or other retailers than wanted me to confirm something on my phone. Rarely actual phone calls.

According to the following:

Just out of being curious, why do you need wifi calling, when you have whatsapp?

As Dave & Fe said - I was missing incoming SMS and calls and could only phone out or message people who were Whatsapp or Messenger users. If I sent SMS there were many times it just stuck on ''sending'' until an error message came back and I had to try sending again until I left the house when it did send. Also, online banking and some other services often send an SMS with a code for sign in which could arrive an hour after being sent depending on signal strength.

Last edited:
Update - reluctantly went for the new phone (Huawei Mate 20 pro via Vodafone) which works great with Wifi calling - definitely needed for me as I can see it regularly and automatically switching in and out of that mode due to the poor phone signal at home (phone signal strength has not changed with different providers used previously). Thanks for the info. Seems to me that the feature should be included more often in phone reviews with a cautionary note to check with providers. Anyway - next time the kids pester me for a new phone - I have one ''oven ready'' :)

I'd be very, very careful in regards to buying a Huawei product.
Understand the concern - thanks - and I'm cautious how I use my phone - but do I trust Apple or Google more ? that could go way off topic :)
Then there is Motorola owned by Lenovo since 2014 - a Chinese multinational based in Beijing.

Understand the concern -
i believe @Knight Rider 1963 is referring to the future support of Huawei in the West and in particular the ability to access Google services, not the trustworthiness of Huawei

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom