Wifi in home

@ChuckMountain please dont get me started on Openreach and FTTP on new houses. Builders blame Openreach for wanting to much to provide it on new builds, Openreach blame the builders for refusing to put the necessary infrastructure in for them and paying for Openreach to do their part, it is a farce. Also most builders still seem to be in the dark ages on new builds - they put multiple phone points in still but cannot drop some Cat6 in strategically or provide a central hub for connectivity. How hard would it be to run some Cat6 into the loft from wherever the FTTP / Mastersocket is? And many sites point blank refuse to let owners add additional cabling at first fix, meaning that on a new build you have to chase and retrofit.

That's a tight bend radius around the top of the door :blush: it's also a shame they had to run it that way.
Yep, not ideal to have fibre cabling at 90 degrees bends. However the Openreach Engineer was ok with this when I enquired and he said the light loss tests at the ONT were well within spec so nothing to worry about. Touch wood, never had any issues with my FTTP service.

CityFibre are also installing FTTP in our area, plan is to get their ONT installed to the left of the power sockets and then tidy up the cabling going over the skirting and door frame. CityFibre will be using the same Openreach u/g ducts (under PIA arrangement) so fibre entry point *should* be the same as Openreach fibre.

Hello all, well finally got the electrician booked in to get the cabling sorted for this along with other cabling being run in the house.
I've found the 2 internal access points and the external one which I'm ready to order, and now need to look at a PoE switch to connect it all....Am I correct in thinking this is all I will need extra?

Make sure the electrician uses the correct cable as they have a tendency to buy the cheapest cable which is copper clad aluminium and should not be used for networking.

And don’t let him terminate it. They have a habit of stripping 10cm of sheath and untwisting 10cm of pairs. Every time I go to an electrician install it looks like alarm wiring.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom