Question Will a Nest Thermostat work with warm air heating?

chrisnewmanjnr

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Could anyone advise me please if a nest thermostat will work with a warm air system?

I would like to buy my parents one as a Christmas gift.

Here is the info I have about the sytem:

• The boiler is a Johnson & Starley Hi-Spec J65-J90.
  • There is a control on the wall with "modair" written on it and numbers 1-10.
  • There is a timer under the stairs but it never gets used (possibly doesn't work)
  • Their is a water cylinder in the airing cupboard
Pics attached.

Many thanks in advance!

PS - If anyone installs these and can help please get in touch!

Attachments

• 20161125_092119.jpg
    20161125_092119.jpg
    838.5 KB · Views: 467
  • 20161125_092318.jpg
    20161125_092318.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 580
  • 20161125_092717.jpg
    20161125_092717.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 703
  • 20161125_093300.jpg
    20161125_093300.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 346
  • 20161125_092736.jpg
    20161125_092736.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 374
Probably a bit late now, but I'm 90% sure that you cannot fit a nest to these warm air heaters. In fact in certain that you can only fit the Johnson and starley controls to them. Don't think they have wireless controls either.

It depends on whether the existing stat simply switches on/off (so could be replaced or bypassed), or whether turning the stat up to max and connecting in place of the 2-channel timeclock could be easily done.

At the end of the day there is nothing inherently special about this kind of heating - after all in the US Nest was designed to replace the old 5 wire thermostat used to control central/blown air heating/cooling systems.

The thermostat on these units is not a simple on off signal. So that's why I don't think a nest can be used. I've not seen any in a few years so I'm a bit rusty on those models.

You absolutely can fit nest to warm air heating, I did it about a week ago. I have a Johnson and Starley C10DW which I believe is heir latest boiler.

The installer had never done one before but called up J&S and they talked him through it.

One comment they made is that you lose the modulation ability when going with nest, this is the functionality that allows the boiler to output at different speeds.

This didn't worry me though as in my experience with hot air, it's all or nothing anyway, mine now works really well, all through nest and through Alexa

Loosing the modulation means that you will loose some of the efficiency too. But if it can be done then this may be the only option to get the type of control you want like nest.

Yeah that's the trade off, hot air heating is terrible anyway so it's not much of a loss for me.

Hi All,

Could anyone advise me please if a nest thermostat will work with a warm air system?

I would like to buy my parents one as a Christmas gift.

Here is the info I have about the sytem:

• The boiler is a Johnson & Starley Hi-Spec J65-J90.
  • There is a control on the wall with "modair" written on it and numbers 1-10.
  • There is a timer under the stairs but it never gets used (possibly doesn't work)
  • Their is a water cylinder in the airing cupboard
Pics attached.

Many thanks in advance!

PS - If anyone installs these and can help please get in touch!
Hi did you have success with the best thermostat on this boiler. We're there any issues or problems?

Many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom