Will calibration with YPAO with a 3.1 setup lead to "incorrect" sound when the center is turned off and only the 2.1-setup is playing?

Northernsound

Standard Member
Reaction score
Time for an ignorant and stupid question from a noob:

I have a Yamaha RX-V483 with a 3.1-setup. I do YPAO with the microphone so it calibrates my 3.1-setup, will it then somehow be incorrect when I'm listening to music with the center turned off so it's just 2.1 playing, because the YPAO was performed with the 3.1-setup?

No. The centre channel and or any other discrete channels present will be and are mixed down into the 2 front channels. The YPAO simply levels the speakers and deals with the room EQ correction. Each and every speaker is levelled to the exct same reference db relative to your listening location and they are not calibrated in differently in accordance with their location or the type of audio channel they are intended to handle.

The speaker configuration and or layout doesn't effect how the individual speakers are calibrated.

Last edited:
No. The centre channel and or any other discrete channels present will be and are mixed down into the 2 front channels. The YPAO simply levels the speakers and dals with the room EQ correction. Each and every speaker is levelled to the exct same reference db relative to your listening location and they are not calibrated in differently in accordance with their location or the type of audio channel they are intended to handle.

The speaker configuration and or layout doesn't effect how the individual speakers are calibrated.
Thank you so much for your answer! It's incredibly appreciated! 🙂

I have a Yamaha RX-V483 with a 3.1-setup. I do YPAO with the microphone so it calibrates my 3.1-setup, will it then somehow be incorrect when I'm listening to music with the center turned off so it's just 2.1 playing, because the YPAO was performed with the 3.1-setup?
What do you mean by turning the centre speaker off?

If you want to listen to two channel music then just ensure that your AVR is not applying an upmixer, so is in straight or stereo mode, and in that instance the AVR will ignore the centre speaker.

What do you mean by turning the centre speaker off?

If you want to listen to two channel music then just ensure that your AVR is not applying an upmixer, so is in straight or stereo mode, and in that instance the AVR will ignore the centre speaker.
We always use "straight". When the audio source is stereo, yes, then I don't have to set the center on "off". :) But sometimes we listen to/watch performances that has audiosources that's not in stereo.

Last edited:
We always use "straight". When the audio source is stereo, yes, then I don't have to set the center on "off". :) But sometimes we listen to/watch performances that has audiosources that's not in stereo.
Okay. For multi channel audio soundtracks, you can still select stereo downmix which would be the correct way to listen to those in stereo, then the AVR will mix all of the audio into a stereo mix or a 2.1 mix to use the sub.

If you just unplug the centre speaker, you will lose a lot of information, as the AVR will still send most of the dialogue to that speaker, not realising it isn't there, which could make things confusing!

Okay. For multi channel audio soundtracks, you can still select stereo downmix which would be the correct way to listen to those in stereo, then the AVR will mix all of the audio into a stereo mix or a 2.1 mix to use the sub.

If you just unplug the centre speaker, you will lose a lot of information, as the AVR will still send most of the dialogue to that speaker, not realising it isn't there, which could make things confusing!
Thank you for your answer. I thought that when I in the menu of the Yamaha avr set the center to "none" it would send all the information to the 2.1 that's still there. I never physically unplug the center-speaker. :)

Thank you for your answer. I thought that when I in the menu of the Yamaha avr set the center to "none" it would send all the information to the 2.1 that's still there. I never physically unplug the center-speaker. :)
Oh okay, that would work also. Bit of a long way round though. Selecting the stereo downmix option might be quicker. I don't think it really matters though, so whatever works for you.

Maybe you don't need the centre speaker at all, just have a stereo set-up?

Oh okay, that would work also. Bit of a long way round though. Selecting the stereo downmix option might be quicker. I don't think it really matters though, so whatever works for you.

Maybe you don't need the centre speaker at all, just have a stereo set-up?
We really like the center for movie-watching, clearer dialogue. I'll try out the 2ch Stereo-mode some more. Thank you for the tip! :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom