Will Hay comes to Blu Ray

Dispatched from Amazon.

Same here Bri, will pop up later and I am sure they will have it as they have an offer from that range at the moment, but fingers crossed.

2017-05-15 16.13.14.jpg

The cover says 75 minutes.

:clap:
Bri

I wasn't going to watch this as I haven't been feeling too well today. I decided to give it a go anyway. It really picked me up and I loved it. A damn good laugh. I'd completely forgotten William Hartnell was in it. Maybe my first piece of Hartnell HD as well as Hay.

Bri

I believe the bluray has a running time of 75 mins which is 4 minutes short. If so, this is unforgivable.

From what I have read the BBC has the master of the full version. The BBC have been refused permission to show this full version on TV. The makers of this bluray have also refused to use the complete BBC Master.
Most disquieting.

Have you watched it yet?

Bri

Yes watched it last night Bri and loved it , picture quality was rather good bar a few scenes so very happy and makes me want more now, also watched all the extras as well, a nice 20min talk about Hay's life and career, the short was very much welcome as I have never seen that before and the Radio 3 episode was fine, so a nice neat package.

See you watched it as well Bri and it cheered you up a bit:thumbsup:

But what are these 4mins that Mark below is saying are missing, the cut version of the film is 66 mins, this is 75mins and is claiming to be uncut, but IMDB and a few others have it at 79mins and I can't find anywhere online saying what these 4mins are.

@mark6226 , can you post a link about this version the BBC have, or if you have a link about the missing 4mins, just interested as I guess a few others would be on here as well.

I believe the bluray has a running time of 75 mins which is 4 minutes short. If so, this is unforgivable.

From what I have read the BBC has the master of the full version. The BBC have been refused permission to show this full version on TV. The makers of this bluray have also refused to use the complete BBC Master.
Most disquieting.

It's on the Internet. Search for this movie and add the word cut. Imdb has this at, 79 mins. They are rarely wrong.

From memory I would say that some of the second classroom scene is missing. There's a chance my mate has the full version of the movie. It may have been recorded to a DVD HD from TV many years ago. He can't check because he's moving house and everything is packed away.

My copy is on its way.....can't wait. The film is complete from all accounts.

There are slight running differences between the dvd and blu ray. This is apparently due to the frame rate.

My copy is on its way.....can't wait. The film is complete from all accounts.

There are slight running differences between the dvd and blu ray. This is apparently due to the frame rate.

The British tv system PAL operates at 25 frames per second but film is 24 fps. So there is a 4% speed up when watching PAL DVD and tv. The blu should be at the original 24 fps so should be at the same length as in the cinema. A 4% speed up on 79 minutes would be around 3.1 minutes. If the original film was 79 minutes there would appear to be cuts.

Bri

Last edited:
Most disquieting.
Did the BBC broadcast a 'minor' cut version of this master back in the 1980s then?

Over on this archive thread from 2009 at Britmovie.co.uk, three users quote their BBC recording from the 1980s as being 72min 13/20sec long:
The Goose Steps Out (uncut) Will Hay - Page 2

Those would have been broadcast and recorded at 25i/50i. So accounting for 25fps 4% speedup means this broadcast BBC version would be 75 minutes at 24fps film speed. This corresponds with the DVD and Blu-ray at 72min and 75min respectively. That thread also has a mention that 75 minutes is what is quoted in the Will Hay biographies Good Morning Boys and the more recent one by Graham Rinaldi.

Where does this 79 minutes come from other than IMDb? Is there a better source somewhere that quotes/lists this? Does your knowledge of it being 79 minutes predate seeing it listed as such on IMDb?

There's a chance my mate has the full version of the movie. It may have been recorded to a DVD HD from TV many years ago. He can't check because he's moving house and everything is packed away.
I wonder how many years ago. If it's from the 1980s it may be the same 72 minute 'PAL speedup' version talked about in the Britmovie thread above.

It's on the Internet. Search for this movie and add the word cut. Imdb has this at, 79 mins. They are rarely wrong.
They've often had original aspect ratios, among other technical details, wrong in the past.

Btw, IMDb lists the Film Length as "2,033 m (Netherlands)". Not sure what the "(Netherlands)" means, but doesn't that length in meters (m) for the listed 35mm film calculate as 74 minutes and 6 seconds.

This link is about the previously cut version but does mention 79 minutes as the correct time of the film. SPOILERS

The Great Ealing Film Challenge 47: The Goose Steps Out (1942) | HuffPost UK

Bri
It also says in () that they copied that figure from IMDb and Lovefilm (in the form Lovefilm existed back when that article was written).

Putting it in the player (rather than trusting what it says on the box) 1hr 14mins 13secs.
So even this NTSC version is nearer (but lower) to 75 minutes without 'PAL speedup'.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pickwick Welcome to the forums. It's nice to have your input. It would appear the whole thing depends on whether IMDb are correct with the time. I've no idea if they are usually accurate especially on this kind of film. It would have helped if I'd got a reply to my email to Studio Canal or the actual release stated it was uncut. Maybe other members could email them with their concerns. Tell them you're not buying as you think it may not be the complete version.

Like many others I only ever saw Will's films on tv when I was a kid. I hadn't seen the (possibly) full version since then. I can't remember any other missing bits. Can anyone else actually remember a part of the film that isn't on this release?

Bri

@Pickwick Welcome to the forums. It's nice to have your input. It would appear the whole thing depends on whether IMDb are correct with the time. I've no idea if they are usually accurate especially on this kind of film. It would have helped if I'd got a reply to my email to Studio Canal or the actual release stated it was uncut. Maybe other members could email them with their concerns. Tell them you're not buying as you think it may not be the complete version.

Like many others I only ever saw Will's films on tv when I was a kid. I hadn't seen the (possibly) full version since then. I can't remember any other missing bits. Can anyone else actually remember a part of the film that isn't on this release?

Bri

Yes welcome to the forum @Pickwick , thanks for the input, like you I need a link or something about this 4mins comparing the new Blu and the run time IMBD is quoting but I have searched high and low and can't find anything, why I asked @mark6226 to post a link.

On the Vintage Classic thread on the Blu channel from post 404 they are discussing the same thing and thinking the IMDB run time is wrong as they can't find anything about these 4mins

I will drop an email on Monday Bri to see if we can get some sense out this 4mins missing malarkey, fingers crossed.

@Pickwick It would appear the whole thing depends on whether IMDb are correct with the time. I've no idea if they are usually accurate especially on this kind of film.
I'm just a bit concerned an incorrect internet entry that may be a bad approximation is causing all the confusion here.
79 minutes does suspiciously look like a 25fps to 24fps adjustment of 75 minutes. It almost looks like 75 minutes was taken as the complete runtime but was thought to be at 'PAL' 25fps.

Don't know if one copied the other but BFI's old Screen online project website has 79 minutes like IMDb:
BFI Screenonline: Goose Steps Out, The (1942)

On the Vintage Classic thread on the Blu channel from post 404 they are discussing the same thing and thinking the IMDB run time is wrong as they can't find anything about these 4min.
Do you have a link to this thread? I can't find it. Is it on avforums?
I've just found this.

Watch The Goose Steps Out online

So the BFI online version is also 75 minutes.

Bri

It may be worth asking the BFI what they think the correct runtime should be as that article mentions they collaborated with SC on this.

Interestingly I did an online search on their national archive and the longest version they have in feet of this feature calculates to no more than 76 minutes. That was listed as 1978 stock date though. Of the 1942 film stock date they have, the longest they have calculates to 75 minutes. See here if you like:
Collections Search | BFI | British Film Institute

Part of the problem seems to be this rumour that the BBC hold the only complete print, but if that's what they used to broadcast it in the 1980s/90s at 72 minutes 25fps speedup then it looks like SC have used it for the blu ray.

I see the blu ray has been confirmed on here as 75 minutes but is that from looking at the player counter as well. Is it confirmed to be encoded at 24p? Sometimes blu ray can be encoded at 50i for 25p material.

Also is it confirmed that the two famous missing scenes from the old butchered DVD are definitely there: i.e. "Slough & Cirencester" in the classroom and later on the "The Pincer Panzer Movement" over the invasion map.

The old butchered 2009 DVD was 66 minutes at 25fps speedup. At 24fps corrected it would be about 69 minutes. If 75 minutes is indeed the correct runtime for this film then any missing scenes would be 6 minutes long. At 6 minutes difference that DVD wasn't quite as butchered as I thought - still bad though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom