Will Hay comes to Blu Ray

You should be ashamed of yourself. Not only is it in SD but it has a logo/dog too. Joking aside the logo is a big thing for me. I hate them. Is anyone else having problems using the smilies? Since the site update I haven't been able to use them on my tablet and now my phone has joined in.

Bri
Not to mention endless ads for life assurance/equity release,mobility scooters and cruises.Not heard anyone else with smillie problems;how far do you get?Can you not even open the drop down box selection?
Oh.....and I am!:blush:

Not to mention endless ads for life assurance/equity release,mobility scooters and cruises.Not heard anyone else with smillie problems;how far do you get?Can you not even open the drop down box selection?
Oh.....and I am!:blush:

After my last post I fiddled around a bit and they've started working again. This is on my phone. I'll check my tablet tomorrow.

:)
Bri

After my last post I fiddled around a bit and they've started working again. This is on my phone. I'll check my tablet tomorrow.

:)
Bri
Definitely fiddly on fone!- That’s all I’ve got. :smashin:

Re: run-time discussion from earlier in the thread, and where that 79 minutes comes from.
I'm thinking that 79 minute run-time listed on IMDb and everywhere else is probably from a trade journal of the time, or book. Did Kine Weekly list run-times? I know it lists aspect ratios. Anyone able to check a copy to confirm what it has for The Goose Steps Out run-time?

britmovie once listed it as 79 minutes and reference the book Forever Ealing (1982?) by George Perry. They list the synopsis at least as being extracted from that book: The Goose Steps Out 1942 | Britmovie | Home of British Films

Could the 79 mins figure come from there? Anyone have the book to check?

This may have been mentioned or discussed on forums elsewhere, but the listing in the U.S. trade journal Motion Picture Herald, of August 29th 1942, is 78 minutes. It also mentions 7000 feet, which translates to 77 minutes and 46 seconds:

It also lists it later here and here:

So did the premiere / U.S. premiere / original run have 2.5 minutes extra that are now lost? Was it just extra studio/distributor intro or more titles/credits? Who knows!

Re: run-time discussion from earlier in the thread, and where that 79 minutes comes from.
I'm thinking that 79 minute run-time listed on IMDb and everywhere else is probably from a trade journal of the time, or book. Did Kine Weekly list run-times? I know it lists aspect ratios. Anyone able to check a copy to confirm what it has for The Goose Steps Out run-time?

britmovie once listed it as 79 minutes and reference the book Forever Ealing (1982?) by George Perry. They list the synopsis at least as being extracted from that book: The Goose Steps Out 1942 | Britmovie | Home of British Films

Could the 79 mins figure come from there? Anyone have the book to check?

This may have been mentioned or discussed on forums elsewhere, but the listing in the U.S. trade journal Motion Picture Herald, of August 29th 1942, is 78 minutes. It also mentions 7000 feet, which translates to 77 minutes and 46 seconds:

It also lists it later here and here:

So did the premiere / U.S. premiere / original run have 2.5 minutes extra that are now lost? Was it just extra studio/distributor intro or more titles/credits? Who knows!

These publications maybe available in the British Library. I think the film is probably the full version on the blu. No one has come up with any solid information or memories of missing scenes to back up the existence of the longer version.

Bri

keep-fit-blu-ray-.jpg

Network are releasing this in March. Surely a good sign that we might still get another Will Hay blu.

Bri

Great news and a decent price too.

Still no sign of Oh Mr Porter or Ask a Policeman, I guess whoever holds the rights ITV/Granada ? doesn’t want to release them and wants too much money to make it viable for any Third Party ?

Last edited:
Still no sign of Oh Mr Porter or Ask a Policeman, I guess whoever holds the rights ITV/Granada ?doesn’t want to release any if them and wants too
much money to make it viable for any Third Party ?
I'd love to see those titles on Blu before Radio Parade. I can't see huge sales for it.

Bri

Not really a 'Will Hay film'. In Radio Parade of 1935 he's more a compère for yet another one of those many 1930s features, found on both sides of the pond, that are just an excuse to show the music hall / vaudeville variety acts of the day. Historically interesting, and the acts can still be entertaining, but at feature length with the thin replica plot used to string such films together, I find them somewhat a chore to get through. Before TV variety shows came on the scene, this is what you had if you didn't see the acts live. One of Network's other Will Hay releases, Those Were the Days DVD, is another one - at least in the second half IIRC.

Still, it's a milestone for this thread that we will finally have a 2nd BD HD film with Will Hay in it.

I still have the DVD of Radio Parade from the box set Studio Canal released some years ago. I don't have much interest in watching it again at the moment, even in HD. Mixed feelings on whether to buy and support this new BD release in the hopes it might mean more chance of future Will Hay Blu-rays. Just can't get that enthusiastic. I would be a lot more, if they released on BD the other two films from that DVD set: Black Sheep of Whitehall and Ghost of St. Michael's! Along with My Learned Friend these are the three unreleased on Blu-ray Ealing Will Hay titles Studio Canal hold. Maybe Studio Canal are charging too much for these, or want to hold on to them and release themselves with similar packaging to Goose Steps Out in the future. On the other hand, even though Radio Parade is not an Ealing (it's BIP) am I correct in saying this is the first time Studio Canal have handed over a Will Hay to Network that they have previously released themselves on DVD. It could be a hopeful sign of more to come, but I suppose restoration costs could also be an issue. I can't imagine Radio Parade film elements were worn out so much on release: a transfer possibly being more straightforward?

To keep up the fairly new tradition on this thread, it's also great to see Network releasing another George Formby BD (or is there a 'George Formby on Blu-ray' thread now?) :

Last edited:
Not really a 'Will Hay film'. In Radio Parade of 1935 he's more a compère for yet another one of those many 1930s features, found on both sides of the pond, that are just an excuse to show the music hall / vaudeville variety acts of the day. Historically interesting, and the acts can still be entertaining, but at feature length with the thin replica plot used to string such films together, I find them somewhat a chore to get through. Before TV variety shows came on the scene, this is what you had if you didn't see the acts live. One of Network's other Will Hay releases, Those Were the Days DVD, is another one - at least in the second half IIRC.

Still, it's a milestone for this thread that we will finally have a 2nd BD HD film with Will Hay in it.

I still have the DVD of Radio Parade from the box set Studio Canal released some years ago. I don't have much interest in watching it again at the moment, even in HD. Mixed feelings on whether to buy and support this new BD release in the hopes it might mean more chance of future Will Hay Blu-rays. Just can't get that enthusiastic. I would be a lot more, if they released on BD the other two films from that DVD set: Black Sheep of Whitehall and Ghost of St. Michael's! Along with My Learned Friend these are the three unreleased on Blu-ray Ealing Will Hay titles Studio Canal hold. Maybe Studio Canal are charging too much for these, or want to hold on to them and release themselves with similar packaging to Goose Steps Out in the future. On the other hand, even though Radio Parade is not an Ealing (it's BIP) am I correct in saying this is the first time Studio Canal have handed over a Will Hay to Network that they have previously released themselves on DVD. It could be a hopeful sign of more to come, but I suppose restoration costs could also be an issue. I can't imagine Radio Parade film elements were worn out so much on release: a transfer possibly being more straightforward?

To keep up the fairly new tradition on this thread, it's also great to see Network releasing another George Formby BD (or is there a 'George Formby on Blu-ray' thread now?) :

Indeed it's the least interesting of Will's films so a very poor choice in my opinion. Network have the rights to Dandy Dick and Those Were Were The Days and both of those would have been better. I did hear that Studio Canal were supposed to be considering another of Will's films. I wonder if it's this one and they're doing through Network to reduce the cost and risk.

To the best of my knowledge there isn't a George Formby thread.

Bri

The BFI have a 4K digital scan of Oh Mr Porter in their archive already, so it's only a matter of time before it's released on Blu-Ray

I wonder if that means they carried out a restoration at the same time or that this could happen later in the digital domain?

Would be nice to think it’s restored and ready to go: Come on BFI, straight to 4K UHD please now you’re dipping your toes in. Would be another great test for the format and I’ve no doubt more evidence that it’s worth it for films of any vintage!

I wonder if that means they carried out a restoration at the same time or that this could happen later in the digital domain?

Would be nice to think it’s restored and ready to go: Come on BFI, straight to 4K UHD please now you’re dipping your toes in. Would be another great test for the format and I’ve no doubt more evidence that it’s worth it for films of any vintage!
Will Hay in 4K? That would be something but I can't see it happening. I've no idea how many copies have been sold of the two blus released so far but I suspect there are very few of us around who have 4K players. I'd be happy with a standard blu.

Bri

Will Hay in 4K? That would be something but I can't see it happening. I've no idea how many copies have been sold of the two blus released so far but I suspect there are very few of us around who have 4K players. I'd be happy with a standard blu.

Bri
As would I Bri. I’m just saying if they can do it with a less than mainstream (but great) film like ‘The Proposition’ then perhaps that’s a precedent. You’d still be covered as they’d certainly include a Blu-ray.

I do of course admit that we’ll be lucky to get just that alone really.

As would I Bri. I’m just saying if they can do it with a less than mainstream (but great) film like ‘The Proposition’ then perhaps that’s a precedent. You’d still be covered as they’d certainly include a Blu-ray.

I do of course admit that we’ll be lucky to get just that alone really.
I'd buy a blu or a 4K on day one. It's a great film. I don't know a huge amount about The Proposition but it is a relatively recent film with a known cast. So much more of a chance of a 4K release than Oh Mr Porter. The screenplay is by Nick Cave who I know for his music.

I also wish we could have Where's that fire. Apparently the film print that gets shown is/was in pretty good condition. Someone should prepare it for a possible DVD and Blu release. I'd be happy to contribute towards to such a scheme.

Bri

I don't know a huge amount about The Proposition but it is a relatively recent film with a known cast. So much more of a chance of a 4K release than Oh Mr Porter.
I’d wager most all of the cast of ‘The Lady Killers’ (4K UHD) is beyond the knowledge of most people today!

‘Where’s that fire?’- Now there’s one I haven’t seen properly. Where’s the best chance to catch it, Talking Pictures ? (Sadly SD only)

Where’s Where’s that fire?:D

I’d wager most all of the cast of ‘The Lady Killers’ (4K UHD) is beyond the knowledge of most people today!

‘Where’s that fire?’- Now there’s one I haven’t seen properly. Where’s the best chance to catch it, Talking Pictures ? (Sadly SD only)

Where’s Where’s that fire?:D
Indeed you're most likely correct about The Ladykillers. It's on my want list.

Where's That Fire is on YouTube.

I'm not sure if this is the same version I watched but the quality wasn't great. it's the only way to see it other than the occasional cinema screening.

Bri

Indeed you're most likely correct about The Ladykillers. It's on my want list.
Bri, you haven’t got The Ladykillers? :eek:
It’s been available for nearly a year, both 4K and 2K sourced from a recent restoration. Almost certainly will never look better👍

Bri, you haven’t got The Ladykillers? :eek:
It’s been available for nearly a year, both 4K and 2K sourced from a recent restoration. Almost certainly will never look better👍
I keep putting it on my Christmas and birthday lists but it still hasn't arrived. I'll probably end up buying it myself.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom