Will Hay comes to Blu Ray

George Formby

Established Member
Reaction score
It seems that Will Hay's 1942 classic The Goose Steps Out is being released on Blu Ray on May the 15th this year.

The Goose Steps Out - 75th Anniversary Digitally Restored Blu-ray 1942: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

An interesting one this as not only is this the first Will Hay movie to get a HD transfer it is (or so we understand) the complete version of the film. Previous releases have had two very funny scenes cut out. Hay afficiandos will know these as the 'Slough' and ' Pincer Panzer' scenes. (one involving English pronounciations and one set on a train.)

There are also some extras on the disc and it should be a good package, hopefully paving the way for HD releases of some of his other films and who knows someday maybe an official release of Where's That Fire which has never been issued on any format.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
This has been mentioned on the What are you still waiting for on blu thread. I emailed Studio Canal on the weekend to confirm that this is the full film. I haven't had a response yet.

Bri

I've spoken to someone who has an interview included as an extra on the disc and he's pretty sure it is the full version. It will also include Go To Blazes and an audio essay apparently.

Will be interesting to see how good the HD transfer is. I have the full version on an American DVD and there is a slight drop in quality in the Slough/Panzer scenes but its still pretty good. I can only assume Studio Canal have got hold of the BFI copy for release.

Is this likely to be the first of many? I love Will Hay and this would be a great Xmas present for my dad as well.

Well going by George's post it looks like they will be doing us proud with this release , full version and some extras , I await Brian email back from SC to confirm this , so looking forward to this release.

first day purchase. needs to sells well for future Will Hay titles to be released. hopefully people won't wait for a price drop before buying. fingers crossed for mr porter and ask a policeman

first day purchase. needs to sells well for future Will Hay titles to be released. hopefully people won't wait for a price drop before buying. fingers crossed for mr porter and ask a policeman

A first day buy for me if it's uncut.

Bri

there you go bri if you don't buy because it's cut don't complain it they don't release any more. these title will be a niche market and need to sell well. i'd rather get a few WH titles out on blu ray rather then one because of its edit.
camberwick green is another release i wish they carried on with

there you go bri if you don't buy because it's cut don't complain it they don't release any more. these title will be a niche market and need to sell well. i'd rather get a few WH titles out on blu ray rather then one because of its edit.
camberwick green is another release i wish they carried on with

Have you seen the cut version? They butchered it by taking some of the best bits out. I wouldn't pay that amount of money for the censored cut. It sounds like maybe the full film. I certainly hope so.

Bri

I understand that a HD (possibly even 4k) version of Oh, Mr. Porter! is being worked on at the moment but not by Studio Canal. I'm sure if this is a success we may see more releases of his films on Blu Ray. It would certainly be welcome as would TV airings (I imagine made more likely by HD transfers being available) to get a new audience watching them and maintain an interest for the future.

I understand that a HD (possibly even 4k) version of Oh, Mr. Porter! is being worked on at the moment but not by Studio Canal. I'm sure if this is a success we may see more releases of his films on Blu Ray. It would certainly be welcome as would TV airings (I imagine made more likely by HD transfers being available) to get a new audience watching them and maintain an interest for the future.

For me if that happens that would the release of the year, just keep us up to date with the info where ever you are getting it from:smashin:

A first day buy for me if it's uncut.

Bri
Absolutely right. My DVD version is 13 mins short.
The Amazon price of £22.31 is shocking. This will put most people off from buying. When will they learn to keep the prices down?
Also when I search on Amazon for Will Hay blu Ray, it did t find this movie. That's not good.
If I search for Bruce Willis bluray, it will find all his movies.
What does that tell us?

Will definitely be picking this up. Any chance we could see some George formby on blu?

Absolutely right. My DVD version is 13 mins short.
The Amazon price of £22.31 is shocking. This will put most people off from buying. When will they learn to keep the prices down?
Also when I search on Amazon for Will Hay blu Ray, it did t find this movie. That's not good.
If I search for Bruce Willis bluray, it will find all his movies.
What does that tell us?

Let's face it at that price sales are not going to be huge for any Will Hay film. If it turns out that it is the cut version then word will get round and kill a lot/most of those sales. If it is complete then that's a good enough reason to buy it for me. Restoring a low interest film will be a big risk for them and the high price is their attempt at recovering their costs. Still no response to my email.

Bri

I pre-ordered at full price and am happy to pay it, releases like this need all the support they can get.

Will you still buy if it is the cut version?

Bri
Yes, even if it's just in the hope of getting more releases in future.

For me if that happens that would the release of the year, just keep us up to date with the info where ever you are getting it from:smashin:
Will do, as soon as I hear anything more. I'll let you know.

Day one purchase for me despite the price as it needs supporting.

Of course, they could also include this lost film as an extra.......[emoji4]

This is me being Will at the Black Country Living Museum.

FB_IMG_1489925104788.jpeg

FB_IMG_1461791247649.jpeg

And here with John Clark who performed as pupil Darcy Minor with Will Hay and Charles Hawtry in the Will Hay Radio Programme. John Clark was also well known for being Just William on the radio. It was an honour to perform with him.

Will do, as soon as I hear anything more. I'll let you know.

Day one purchase for me despite the price as it needs supporting.

Of course, they could also include this lost film as an extra.......[emoji4]

This is me being Will at the Black Country Living Museum.

View attachment 839420

Cheers Fella , as for that lost film , brilliant :D:thumbsup: , keep up the good work.

"No wonder we are lost, that's a map of Birmingham" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yes, even if it's just in the hope of getting more releases in future.

To me it would be a sub standard release. Buying it would only encourage further sub standard releases. The op says he has a full US DVD of it. I didn't know of that. I'd rather have a NTSC DVD than an incomplete blu.

Bri

How reliable is your source, I guess it'll be ITV Studios or the BFI who would release it ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom