Will Hay comes to Blu Ray

How reliable is your source, I guess it'll be ITV Studios or the BFI who would release it ?
Pretty reliable, from one of the main guys in the Will Hay Appreciation Society and I think it is the BFI.

Update - The company is Parck Circus who manage the rights to the Gaumont films. My sources source is VERY reliable but the release date is like shifting sands.

Last edited:
To me it would be a sub standard release. Buying it would only encourage further sub standard releases. The op says he has a full US DVD of it. I didn't know of that. I'd rather have a NTSC DVD than an incomplete blu.

Bri
The version available from Wow is the uncut one. Although I should say, not available as its sold out.....probably because so many of us in the Will Hay society have bought copies since I bought mine on the off-chance it was complete!

The Goose Steps Out on WOW HD

There is a very slight drop in quality in the two deleted/reinserted scenes but its still a lot better than my old off-air vhs to dvd transfer copy.

The version available from Wow is the uncut one. Although I should say, not available as its sold out.....probably because so many of us in the Will Hay society have bought copies since I bought mine on the off-chance it was complete!

The Goose Steps Out on WOW HD

There is a very slight drop in quality in the two deleted/reinserted scenes but its still a lot better than my old off-air vhs to dvd transfer copy.

Cheers. I'll look into that if it turns out the blu is the cut version.

Bri

I saw Go To Blazes yesterday in Manchester. Their Central Library has a BFI section. I also saw Will, George Formby, Gary Cooper and a few others wishing everyone a merry Christmas in a short from 1937. Nice to see a bit of "new" Hay.

:smashin:
Bri

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I do know the difference between that colour feature length feature film without Will Hay and the b&w Will Hay and Thora Hird short. It was entertaining and informative. I now know how to deal with German incendiary bombs.

:D
Bri

sorry bri i was getting where's the fire? mixed up with go to blazes.

sorry bri i was getting where's the fire? mixed up with go to blazes.

No bother. I understand your confusion now. The version I saw jumped a few times so it missed the odd word here and there.. Hopefully that was down to the pc I was watching it on and not the original print.

Bri

No bother. I understand your confusion now. The version I saw jumped a few times so it missed the odd word here and there.. Hopefully that was down to the pc I was watching it on and not the original print.

Bri
I think Go To Blazes does jump. There are definitely a few lines of dialogue missing here and there on every print I've ever seen. Maybe the version on the Blu Ray is complete but I have a feeling that the hacked version is the only one out there.

It was probably broken and stuck back together by some projectionist and that is the copy that gets distributed.

I think Go To Blazes does jump. There are definitely a few lines of dialogue missing here and there on every print I've ever seen. Maybe the version on the Blu Ray is complete but I have a feeling that the hacked version is the only one out there.

It was probably broken and stuck back together by some projectionist and that is the copy that gets distributed.

Unfortunately I suspect you're probably correct. What's the running time of your NTSC DVD?

Bri

Unfortunately I suspect you're probably correct. What's the running time of your NTSC DVD?

Bri
Putting it in the player (rather than trusting what it says on the box) 1hr 14mins 13secs.

Putting it in the player (rather than trusting what it says on the box) 1hr 14mins 13secs.

Cheers. I still haven't received a response from Studio Canal regarding regarding the version they are releasing. I'm confused as the BBFC rating says it's 84 minutes for the original cinema release.

Bri

Cheers. I still haven't received a response from Studio Canal regarding regarding the version they are releasing. I'm confused as the BBFC rating says it's 84 minutes for the original cinema release.

Bri
Yeah, me too. Its either a typo or they're including the extras in the running time.

The release date is very close now and I still haven't received a reply to my e-mail regarding which version will be on the disc. I guess I'll have to wait until someone here confirms the length.

Bri

The release date is very close now and I still haven't received a reply to my e-mail regarding which version will be on the disc. I guess I'll have to wait until someone here confirms the length.

Bri

Well Bri looks like we will have to take a bullet and prey that it is the full version, but good customer service skills from SC, er , not

Well Bri looks like we will have to take a bullet and prey that it is the full version, but good customer service skills from SC, er , not

Hopefully most of their money goes on the actual releases. It may be that their customer services is poorly resourced but I'm wondering if they just don't want to admit it's the cut version.

Bri

Hopefully most of their money goes on the actual releases. It may be that their customer services is poorly resourced but I'm wondering if they just don't want to admit it's the cut version.

Bri

Staying positive myself that it is the full version.

Price has dropped to £16 on Amazon. It's still way overpriced

Thats the big question. Amazon has the run time as 85 mins which is 6 mins too long. The dvd is only 66 mins.
its best to wait and see.
Price should drop further on release. I'll wait until it does.

Thats the big question. Amazon has the run time as 85 mins which is 6 mins too long. The dvd is only 66 mins.
its best to wait and see.
Price should drop further on release. I'll wait until it does.

Maybe that running time includes Go To Blazes.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom