Will never buy a Samsung TV again...

NiceBloke

Standard Member
Reaction score
Over the past 5 years I have continually purchased the flagship Samsung TVs and in each case the TV has stopped working. I have never seen such rubbish build quality. Samsung customer support is shocking - my 8 series TV has been repaired 3 times under warranty and now has failed again with the stupid power cycling.

There have been various class action lawsuits in the states and one is underway I believe regarding power cycling.

Please do check on google to make your own minds up - but just wanted people to be made aware of what rubbish to expect - all show and no substance.

I’ve now been left £££ out of pocket and the CEO of Samsung UK doesn’t give a toss when I’ve emailed him either!

Won’t they repair it again?
First Samsung for me Q90r, I do love it but there are teething problems I hope get rectified via firmware updates.

Won’t they repair it again?
First Samsung for me Q90r, I do love it but there are teething problems I hope get rectified via firmware updates.

They refused to fix it as it is out of warranty, despite the previous issues and the chief exec didn’t seem to care. It apparently needs a new power board, main board and panel - what a heap of garbage.

Oh yeah that’s pretty crap, it’s a shame the uk chief didn’t want to help either

but it seems to be this way with all mfgs. Things are made to last a long time anymore. I bought a hisense tv from best buy and it hasn't even been a year and a half and already it shuts down by itself and turns back on...restarts by itself. I have it hooked up to a line conditioner so not only is it surge protected by a large fuse but the AC line is also conditioned so there's no interference....sometimes I think electronics nowadays need to be purchased with the 2 or 5 year extended warranty because it seems like most mfgs won't fix it if it's out of warranty or give you the run around

I bought a 50 JU6800, after the latest firmware update a couple of years ago the navigation around menus is absolutely appalling, from the click on the remote it can take seconds for it to respond, and feels like its going to jam up, is there a way to downgrade firmware on these TV's?

They refused to fix it as it is out of warranty, despite the previous issues and the chief exec didn’t seem to care. It apparently needs a new power board, main board and panel - what a heap of garbage.
How old is the tv?

if you bought in the last few years then you have extended protection under the consumer retail act which came in to affect on the 1st October 2015.

If an item breaks down and they repair they only get one chance to do so.

However your contract is with the retailer that sold you the set. They might point you at Samsung to repair but that does not absolve of them of their liability.

i would be pushing for the retailer to replace.

but it seems to be this way with all mfgs. Things are made to last a long time anymore. I bought a hisense tv from best buy and it hasn't even been a year and a half and already it shuts down by itself and turns back on...restarts by itself. I have it hooked up to a line conditioner so not only is it surge protected by a large fuse but the AC line is also conditioned so there's no interference....sometimes I think electronics nowadays need to be purchased with the 2 or 5 year extended warranty because it seems like most mfgs won't fix it if it's out of warranty or give you the run around

See I would expect hi-sense not to be built as well and the price for them reflects that - I paid a premium for a Samsung product / brand on the assumption it was better quality. Never again - only Sony or Panasonic from now on.

How old is the tv?

if you bought in the last few years then you have extended protection under the consumer retail act which came in to affect on the 1st October 2015.

If an item breaks down and they repair they only get one chance to do so.

However your contract is with the retailer that sold you the set. They might point you at Samsung to repair but that does not absolve of them of their liability.

i would be pushing for the retailer to replace.

I’m exploring this as we speak :)

My Panny plasma has had the same issue a number of times :(

I think it all comes down to what people experience - I’ve had pannys from the 42pe50 etc. and the damn thing wouldn’t break to give me an excuse to buy another TV!

All electrics can and will fail, but the scale of the Samsung issue is huge - the fact they had to go back and offer to fix something like 7m LCDs post the 1st class action suit is horrific...to have a 2nd class action suit on the next generation just smacks of incompetence / cost cutting.

didn't panasonic pull out of the tv market a couple years ago?? I used to have a good ol' 42" plasma tv that lasted a good 12 years. Thing was noisy but that was because of the motor producing the gas for the plasma

well I'm avoiding hisense at all costs now. Looking at a 60" samsung tv and may just go with getting it from best buy but getting their 2 year geek squad warranty so that if anything happens, I can get a tech to come out and repair it in-house and not have to deal with the mfg's warranty. 60" would be the largest since it just about fits on my tv stand...don't want it to be so big that it obstructs my main left/right speakers which are on speaker stands

Thing was noisy but that was because of the motor producing the gas for the plasma

That's twice you've stated this fallacy in two different forums.
There is no motor (other than in the cooling fans in some models) and no gas in Plasma TV's.
You need to read up on Plasma TV technology.

didn't panasonic pull out of the tv market a couple years ago?? I used to have a good ol' 42" plasma tv that lasted a good 12 years.

No Pioneer pulled out of the TV market, at the end they only produced plasmas. Panasonic stopped making plasmas but still make OLED (albeit based on LG panels) and other TVs.

Thing was noisy but that was because of the motor producing the gas for the plasma

Yep I hear on that one. I switched back to leaded petrol to top it as I found it gave better colour depth .....

Would imagine there all as bad as each other when something goes wrong which can happen but it’s how they then rectify the problem/issue for the customer and make it right. Not much really good customer service left these days.

Pioneer now they was the dogs dangly bits with their plasma‘s but saying that my Panasonic plasma is still going very strong after donkeys years.

I was looking into Samsung QLED‘s hopefully the 85R as well as the good quality Sony LCD sets as advised on AVF as a replacement to my plasma.

They do make really good fridge/freezers - our kitchen was flooded in 2 feet of water and it was still running (sealed motor), everything else was wrecked. Still going and has a 10 year warranty on motor. But Yes, I will never buy their TVs.

I'm another in the 'won't buy a Samsung TV again' camp. My MU7000 was perfect in the panel lottery and is still working fine after 2 years to be fair, but when you have to go and buy a router with URL filtering to block unwanted video adverts on a TV you paid almost £1000 for, it doesn't leave a nice taste in your mouth. Instead of ads I now get a server error or a black screen! I have never liked Samsung TBH but bought it as the AVF review said it was the best TV for £1000 available at the time. It also helped that it was a few hundred quid cheaper than a similar spec model from Sony or Panasonic AND come with a bundled UHD player.

Had a bad experience with an S7 a few years ago that was enough to put me off their phones too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom