Will you be heading back to the pub anytime soon?

Are you going to the pub?

• Yes, as soon as I can

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • No, I'm not a frequent pub goer

Votes: 45 33.1%
  • No, I'm not taking the risk, yet

Votes: 67 49.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
I wasn't very hopeful, so pleasantly surprised and pleased.

Apart from Soho and apparently Portobello road - doesn't seem to have been a big problem. Everything was very organised in my local area for sure.

Wasn't great in Liverpool it seems (rarely is, people still celebrating the league too), but I think most of the concern was for the lack of social distancing and too much interaction.

I expected the "trouble" really to be no more or less than your average Saturday night.

Just before lockdown I was playing at various open mic nights and really enjoying getting up and playing. However, despite having (99% certain) had CV19 I'm in a job where I'm more likely than most to come into contact with it, so reluctantly I will remain away from pubs and open mics for the forseeable future, to protect those I'm likely to come into contact with. That's for CV19 as well as my singing. ;)

had a very nice pint and a sausage n bacon bap after my round at my local golf course , lil bit of normality , my golf is still bollox.

Last edited:
On the subject of golf courses as many in my area have shut down or were up for sale due to dwindling profits before the pandemic .
luckily for our course the new owners have their fingers in many pies and they were able to not furloughed staff. They kept all working ( including pro shop and clubhouse staff) maintaining the course during lockdown .

All that hard work has payed off for them as since lockdown ended they have had 400 + new memberships and are now not taking any new memberships . Also for members ( like myself ) who kept up dues during lockdown , that money is on our tabs for pro shop or clubhouse .

Just thought I'd share some positive news .

Not that it would tempt me, but £10 off isn't 50% in my book. Plus if it's 'between Monday and Wednesday' does that mean 'just Tuesday' anyway? :D

And if they would pay me for eating out, no, thank you.
And I don’t think it’s working out. Many restaurants and pups have been unsustainable at the high time before COVID. Why would this change with more costs for distancing and less customers. At the time where evidence is growing that COVID is airborne, Sumak is aggressively tempting people to share badly aired indoor premises.

No one in our goverment or on a forum for that matter can try and dictate or push what the individual feels safe in doing . We all have different start points due to ones own health, age or protecting family members with health issues . Its a risk assessment for the individual going forward and what one feels safe in doing .

Not that it would tempt me, but £10 off isn't 50% in my book. Plus if it's 'between Monday and Wednesday' does that mean 'just Tuesday' anyway? :D

It could make a small difference for pubs that do meals, but people generally didn't go to restaurants during midweek before the pandemic, even less likely now.

Due to work commitments I had to stay overnight in a hotel last night, have to say they were extremely well setup and at no point did was I worried about potential infection.

It was very quiet there which is to be expected. Check in desk had been setup differently with another table in front to keep distance and for me to use, new pen put out for me to sign for room, table then disinfected after I had used it.

The room was spotless, I could still smell the lingering scent of disinfectant but with the windows open when I arrived the smell soon dissipated and wasnt an issue.

I went down to the bar, table service only and I could see the barman washing his hands constantly as I had my first draught pint in months. For dinner I was given a disposable menu, ordered in the bar area and was only taken into the restaurant when my meal was ready to come out. Tables were completely clear, nothing on them at all and a serving point was set to the side of my table. All food, cultlery, condiments etc were brought out on a large tray and placed on the service station so that the waiting staff did not touch any of it nor did they have to lean over or get too close to serve. I simply had to take the piece off the tray myself and replaced when finished.

All in all, it ran very smoothly and I was quite impressed

My trip to Turtle Bay was a big letdown. Very quiet, counted less than 10 people dining so the atmosphere was lacking. The table we were taken to wasn’t clean - there was even rice on the table from the previous customers.... no disposable menus - in fact the menus were actually dirty. We decided to give it a miss.

Stumbled upon a quiet tea room yesterday, spotless, had a delicious hot turkey and cranberry sandwich:smashin:

Last edited:
It could make a small difference for pubs that do meals, but people generally didn't go to restaurants during midweek before the pandemic, even less likely now.

TBH - there are quite a few smaller restaurants that only open Thursday - Sunday in London. The VAT thing helps though.

New guidelines for Soho. Some of these should have been there from the beginning IMO - particularly the no seat no service policy.

Opening on a Saturday with no run-up in quieter weekdays to see what worked and what didn't was sheer stupidity.

Totally agree with that. Still, it's worth mentioning that loads of places (including the one I visited on Sat) opened while sticking firmly to the guidance. Hopefully, more attention will be paid to the key zones where people cluster.

I mention Ireland a lot because I was there when they came out of lockdown on the Monday (I was, alas quarantined). But even they had issues at the weekend:

Again - a relatively isolated incident, but one which needs to be learned from.

Opening on a Saturday with no run-up in quieter weekdays to see what worked and what didn't was sheer stupidity.

Spot on. Madness to open for the first time on a Saturday. But that shouldn't come as a surprise with the Cummings party.

2 more pubs have reported patrons who tested positive for Covid-19. A total of 5 now.

It's not a great surprise though. The virus is still around and lock down will only suppress it to an extent, it won't eradicate it. Many people have been infected and aren't even showing symptoms. The key indicator will be how many people are getting really bad symptoms/being admitted to hospital.

It's not a great surprise though. The virus is still around and lock down will only suppress it to an extent, it won't eradicate it. Many people have been infected and aren't even showing symptoms. The key indicator will be how many people are getting really bad symptoms/being admitted to hospital.

I agree, but I'd like to know under what circumstances these people are being tested? The 3 at the start of the week got results back very quickly if they were tested on Monday, so when did they present symptoms to be tested? I've lost track of who can request a test and why.

My concern is people who know they may have mild symptoms but will go to the pub anyway because "it's just a touch of the flu" until the results come back positive.

I agree, but I'd like to know under what circumstances these people are being tested? The 3 at the start of the week got results back very quickly if they were tested on Monday, so when did they present symptoms to be tested? I've lost track of who can request a test and why.

My concern is people who know they may have mild symptoms but will go to the pub anyway because "it's just a touch of the flu" until the results come back positive.

That's a good point, something I'd not really considered before. If I got a cold, would I think the worst and suspect it's COVID? Not sure. I think I would play it safe and stay in (not that I would normally go to the pub anyway). I'm also totally confused as regards the testing procedure and who is allowed one. If I got a cold today and requested a test (presumably via the post), by the time I received the kit, took the test and returned it, it would probably take a week to get back to the NHS and then for me to receive the result. By that time I would hopefully feel fine.....or maybe dead! :eek:

That's a good point, something I'd not really considered before. If I got a cold, would I think the worst and suspect it's COVID? Not sure. I think I would play it safe and stay in (not that I would normally go to the pub anyway). I'm also totally confused as regards the testing procedure and who is allowed one. If I got a cold today and requested a test (presumably via the post), by the time I received the kit, took the test and returned it, it would probably take a week to get back to the NHS and then for me to receive the result. By that time I would hopefully feel fine.....or maybe dead! :eek:

If only there was something that was meant to be done about this slow turnaround. Although I just can't quite remember what it was.... :laugh:

I'm lying of course, I can really. And because we still don't have the structures in place, this sort of thing is what's holding us back and making us continue to be reactive rather than proactive.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom