Will you get the vaccine if it becomes available?

When a Covid-19 vaccine becomes available, will you take it?

• Yes / I've signed up for a trial

Votes: 107 77.0%
  • No

Votes: 32 23.0%

• Total voters
It makes a change from racism.

^^^ speaking of, a good read at CFI ...
Who’s spurring the racial protests? Conspiracies point to any number of people, including rich Jewish businessmen such as George Soros who are allegedly hiring fake protesters. (In fact, this has been debunked.) Who’s spreading COVID-19? Rich liberals such as Bill Gates, hoping to become even richer. (In fact, this also has been debunked.)

Not all alternative medicine proponents are anti-vaccine, of course, just as not all anti-vaccination activists are conspiracy theorists, right-wing, racist, or all three. However, it’s not surprising that a Venn diagram reveals considerable overlap among the worldviews. Conspiracy is inherent in anti-vaccination belief, because Big Pharma has allegedly invested untold fortunes in keeping the “truth” about vaccines from public knowledge—despite, of course, widespread knowledge of precisely such anti-vaccination claims.

People across the political spectrum believe conspiracy theories, and they all share a common worldview, one which is fundamentally distrustful of authority and anti-establishment. All pride themselves on being independent thinkers, a special breed of “woke” folk who are smart enough to separate themselves from the sheeple and not be swayed by what “They” want you to think. Theirs is a world in which world events are part of a Master Plan orchestrated by a Jewish cabal, the Illuminati, Bill Gates, Big Pharma, or whoever else.

Racism, conspiracy thinking, and the rejection of science are all toxic problems, made worse when combined with the chaos and uncertainty of a pandemic. Fortunately, these are all learned behaviors that can be conquered. The best inoculations against misinformation are critical thinking, media literacy, and skepticism.

Some people want all problems to be caused by others so they don't have to make an effort or take responsibility.

^^^ speaking of, a good read at CFI ...

Good Lord, if you'd have posted this in GC we'd be looking at Armageddon by the end of the week :laugh:

When is is OK to put lives at risk?
It's a moot point whether free speech is putting lives at risk. There are valid and invalid arguments on both sides.

Surely better to be fully informed: the better to separate the wheat from the chaff?

They would argue that Vaxxers are the same
but they'd be wrong, just like creationists and flat earthers

false equivalence

there's no such thing as a vaxxer

To your mind certainly.

However aside from the fanatics on both sides, there are real and cogent concerns that should be addressed rather than simply denigrating those that disagree with us

You're not a fanatic if you want a vaccine though. That's the norm, standard behaviour. Which I think is what Krish is getting at.

And to be honest given some of the bilge I've read over the years (before Covid) regarding anti-vaxxers, I would actually class their thinking as reckless and dangerous.

As you said yourself, better to be fully informed. Which is exactly what most anti-vaxxers aren't.

I wonder whether is that any where near Cambridge Analytica?
But.....Astrazeneca's HQ is in Cambridge...bet they're drinking buddies with Cambridge Analytica
and tracking software....hmm what could possibly go wrong?
Oh here we go. Folks we got another!
There’s no need to be insulting is there?

My comments were tongue in cheek- lighten up!
And so were mine ;)
To your mind certainly.

However aside from the fanatics on both sides, there are real and cogent concerns that should be addressed rather than simply denigrating those that disagree with us
Were you really being tongue in cheek? You took great offence at my own tongue in cheek post, and now you're being incredibly defensive of the anti-Vaxxer brigade. Genuine question expecting a genuine answer to clear up this ambiguous stance you're taking.

Which is exactly what most anti-vaxxers aren't.
Mostly by choice.
Like many groups, they listen to what they want to hear only.

Genuine question expecting a genuine answer to clear up this ambiguous stance you're taking.
Could it be gas lighting?

Could it be gas lighting?
That's about making someone doubt themself right ... so the grooming technique of conspiracy theorists, anti-Vaxxers et al upon easy marks? Pretending they're not, and maintaining it.

Correct, the patterns are quite specific.

Were you really being tongue in cheek? You took great offence at my own tongue in cheek post, and now you're being incredibly defensive of the anti-Vaxxer brigade. Genuine question expecting a genuine answer to clear up this ambiguous stance you're taking.
Good for you Krish, keep the faith.
Let’s see. Vaccines have been the biggest single saviour of children’s lives in history. Of the 17 siblings in my mum & dad‘s families, 5 didn‘t get to adulthood. Anti-Vaxxers? Bah, no time for them.
Measles has been eliminated from this country once, and it’s on the way back. Think covid-19 is bad? Measles makes it look like a pussy. I was in Ghana for a while and met two WHO doctors involved with measles vaccination in the “Lion‘s Head” of Africa. They were getting drunk celebrating achieving their 5-year target in only 3 years. Less than 200k deaths annually.
Our government think it’s ok to rely on parent discretion. We lived in France for a while, and they have a different view. No vaccination certificates? No school.
Have as much free speech as you want. Anti-vaxxers can decide for themselves what to do. I just wouldn’t allow them to decide about others, including their own kids.

I tweeted Sheila Fogherty of LBC a few months ago about an anti-vaxxer who'd just called in aggressively spouting the same old debunked lies/myths. That person then tweeted me about having only 40ish followers while she had a few thousand, as if that proved anything.

Quality vs. quantity.

I tweeted Sheila Fogherty of LBC a few months ago about an anti-vaxxer who'd just called in aggressively spouting the same old debunked lies/myths. That person then tweeted me about having only 40ish followers while she had a few thousand, as if that proved anything.

Only 40 followers!

Clearly you know nothing Jon Snow.

Only 40 followers!

Clearly you know nothing Jon Snow.
brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like
Well I always block strangers who follow - loads of dodgy Grant Shapps' type businesses and what appear to be eastern European sex workers or catfishers.

Btw I bigged myself up - just 37 followers at present. Been on since 2008.
EDIT ... Now 38 followers, just noticed former MEP Richard Corbett the final Leader of the European Parliamentary Labour Party started following me a day or two ago, and Dara Ó Briain just tweeted me back about his comedy revival of Blockbusters being axed by Comedy Central UK.

Last edited:
Well I always block strangers who follow - loads of dodgy Grant Shapps' type businesses and what appear to be eastern European sex workers or catfishers.

Btw I bigged myself up - just 37 followers at present.

Yeah these rogue AVF'ers are a bloody nuisance :D

I reached the dizzy heights of 500 not so long back, but I think that was only cos I called Lozza Fox a king numpty and it got a load of retweets. Same thing happened funnily enough with Toby Young 🤔 Perhaps I've unlocked the algorithm to winning Twitter.

Once I revert back to talking about Liverpool winning the league again they all disappear :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom