Windows 10 Deselecting Active Window

Rocketrazor

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

not a regular contributor on here but a regular reader!

Hoping someone can help me with a windows 10 active window deselection issue.

Randomly on boot up my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 15) running windows 10 and Norton AV will start deselecting my active window no matter what program I using be it Internet Explorer, Google chrome, Firefox, Word, Excel etc etc. I'll be typing away and then suddenly it's not on the window anymore. I can literally sit there and watch it deselect the window, then I select, sit back and wait and it automatically deselects again. For example I've rebooted my laptop 4 times this morning and I've had the issue on one of them and not the rest!

I've googled the issue and gets lots of different things, none which seem to suit my situation. I've disabled the touchpad mouse and that didn't fix it, I've also looked in task manager to sf a program is loading to prompt the deselection but I can't see anything.

Anyone got any good ideas? I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 online so don't really want to install again as I'm not sure I can get 10 again?

Thanks in Advance

Rocket

It's likely something else you're running is taking focus rather than a windows being deselected. Most likely a third party program.

I don't know off-hand a utility that lists the active window unfortunately. You could see what you get from pasting the results of alt+printscreen which takes a screenshot of the active window.

Otherwise it's a case of going through the third party programs running and killing them until the behaviour stops.

Winlister lists all the open windows which may help:
WinLister v1.22 - display the list of opened windows on your system

Hi EndlessWaves,
Thanks for the response, I've ot had the issue pop up again since posting this thread so can't report back but I will try the above and let you know how it goes if it pops up again.

Thanks Again

Rocket

Randomly on boot up my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 15) running windows 10 and Norton AV will start deselecting my active window no matter what program I using
If you think it is Norton then try pausing protection or remove Norton altogether

Sorry, been very busy with work. Nothing seems to work. I can't screen shot the issue as it just pastes my screen not the offending window, and a windows 10 partial rebuild still has the problem. At some point I'm going to try a full rebuild.

Cheers

Rocket

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom