Question Windows 10 License Advice

Evokazz

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hiya guys, my Mum bought my son a Windows 8 Retail Disc a few years back, and then we got the free Windows 10 Upgrade when the promotion was on. I've just bought my son a new Tower, and it's coming tomorrow. But has no Operating System. I have read that if you remove the key from current PC, then you can install Windows 10 on another machine easily enough. In my situation do I completely format his PC and then have to install Windows 8 on the new computer and download the upgrade again? Or can we just install Windows 10 and use his Windows 8 Retail key on it? The computer he currently has will be stripped for parts so no longer in use.

It says changing hardware including motherboard so no reason why not.
Digital licence is tied to your MS account, so login to the new PC with your MS account whilst online, choose the PC you are using and activate.

The upgrade is discontinued so you have to install Windows 10 and use the Windows 8 Licence key.

Ive done this.
Just lnstall w10 on the new machine, log in with the same microsoft account and use the upgraded w8 key.
No need to install w8.

You can download a w10 iso or use the microsoft media creation tool to make an installation USB stick.
Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

Ive done this
So have I.
I bought a retail Win7 for an old PC I built and upgraded that to Win10 when it was released. I recently replaced my old PC with all new hardware and just installed Win10 and used the old Win7 license - it activated without any issues.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom