Windows 10 Startup Woes - Any help appreciated!

mr starface

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So as windows does sometimes my rock stable system started not booting up properly yesterday.

This is a weird one as it boots into W10 ok and when loaded I can see the taskbar and icons in it and also hte mouse pointer if I can get it in the taskbar somehow.

But all the space above the taskbar is black (so no background pic, recycle bin etc) and the mouse pointer wont appear there.

I can click on programs from the taskbar and start menu but of course I cant use them as they all open in the blank space! I can see they are open and working when I hover over the icon and see the little picture.

Have tried a rollback and starting in safe mode both of which didnt help.

Anyone have any ideas please?

What happens when you press windows key + P key together, does the Project scree appear and can you cycle through the options?

Cheers for the reply - Nothing appears unfortunately. Weirdly enough when I click on task view in the task bar I do get all the information on recent websites, documents etc appear on screen but frustratingly whenever I launch a program like explorer or settings the screen stays black even though its clearly open and running as I can see it in the taskbar. Its bizarre.

My first thought was a dodgy windows or gpu driver update but the rollback didnt help.

At this stage I cant think of anything other than reinstalling windows which is a real pain.

In task manager

Click File

Run new task

type: shutdown /r /f /t 000

and your machine will restart

Let us know what happens

OK this is quite embarrassing, so I had both a HDMI and displayport cable attached and for some reason the PC didnt like the hdmi. Now disconnected it and only using displayport and all ok,.

Weird.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom