Answered Windows 10 Update has broken my PC

Rustybin

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
At least I think it has.

I've had W10 since it was given away as a free upgade and had literally no issues execpt a BSOD every couple of weeks or so.

On Saturday after a big update, Windows freezes every 2-10 minutes or so for about 20-60 seconds.

I've Googled the heck out of it and done all the suggestions with no joy. As a last resort (and because it was probably over due), I did a full clean install of W10. And that still didn't fix it.

Absolutely infuriating. I think I'm going to have to put W7 back on it.

Have you re-installed your correct drivers from the PC or motherboard manufacturer?

After each big update W10 will insist on installing its own generic hardware drivers.
Go into device manager and check.
If you see microsoft as the supplier of your drivers then this is most likely the cause of your issues.
Start with the chipset driver as this is usually the main offender for issues such as yours.

Have you re-installed your correct drivers from the PC or motherboard manufacturer?

After each big update W10 will insist on installing its own generic hardware drivers.
Go into device manager and check.
If you see microsoft as the supplier of your drivers then this is most likely the cause of your issues.
Start with the chipset driver as this is usually the main offender for issues such as yours.

Thank you - I did try doing that but W10 wouldn't allow me to update the any manually and I couldn't find any individual ones on the Intel site...

I've found this:-

Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

I'll see if that does the trick.

Thank you - I did try doing that but W10 wouldn't allow me to update the any manually and I couldn't find any individual ones on the Intel site...

I've found this:-

Download Intel® Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility)

I'll see if that does the trick.

Go to the relevant site for your motherboard or PC and download the install packages for your specific model, then run them as administrator.

In my experience driver search utilities like the one you linked too dont always get the correct driver, you,d just end up with intel generic instead of microsoft generic, which wont necessarily fix the issue.

W10 wont let the " update driver" button work because in its retarded opinion, the "best" driver is already installed.

What is the model of your PC or motherboard?

I see, support for your board ended in 2014, however it did work with W10 at one time, so download and install the W8 audio, lan, and graphics packages from here...

Downloads for Intel® Desktop Board DH61CR

W8 drivers are usually fine for W10 , and audio, lan, and graphics are major drivers that may cause your issues.

My son's Dell XPS18 all in one has also been "broken" by the windows 10 update. It was also updated to W10 last year and has worked flawlessly since. Then the update happened on 24/9/16 but didn't install properly. The white circle went round and round for hours. any attempt to reset the pc fails, the system restore points have gone and a fresh install of windows 10 requires a code which I don't have as the PC was updated by MS for free from windows 8. I will try contacting dell but will probably have to re-install windows 8.

On a separate PC a fresh installation of windows 10 kept failing (the auto repair would start up every time). I fixed this however by updating the motherboard BIOS but I can't get far enough into the windows 10 boot up, to do this on the XPS 18.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

I see, support for your board ended in 2014, however it did work with W10 at one time, so download and install the W8 audio, lan, and graphics packages from here...

W8 drivers are usually fine for W10 , and audio, lan, and graphics are major drivers that may cause your issues.

I'll try those one at a time. Thanks for your help.

My son's Dell XPS18 all in one has also been "broken" by the windows 10 update. It was also updated to W10 last year and has worked flawlessly since. Then the update happened on 24/9/16 but didn't install properly. The white circle went round and round for hours. any attempt to reset the pc fails, the system restore points have gone and a fresh install of windows 10 requires a code which I don't have as the PC was updated by MS for free from windows 8. I will try contacting dell but will probably have to re-install windows 8.

On a separate PC a fresh installation of windows 10 kept failing (the auto repair would start up every time). I fixed this however by updating the motherboard BIOS but I can't get far enough into the windows 10 boot up, to do this on the XPS 18.

I'm pretty sure you could can do a clean install of windows 10 without a key providing you have done a previous upgrade from W8 to W10 as the key is stored/hidden in the PC bios.
Just do a clean install and skip the input of the key when it asks for it, it will validate windows by itself once W10 finishes installing and goes on the internet the first time.

A fresh install, using an image or ISO made by microsofts media creation tool, should have activated automatically, you must have used the wrong version for the fresh install, use the "other" version, home or pro, for the fresh install and you wont need a code.

Tried all that. No luck.

Do I just have to put up with this and hope MS fixes this, or should I reinstall W7 and wash my hands of W10?

Anyone? Would W7 fix this, or do I need to buy a newer PC? This is driving me mad!

Tried all that. No luck.

Do I just have to put up with this and hope MS fixes this, or should I reinstall W7 and wash my hands of W10?

Do you have a disc with drivers that came with the PC?
If so , try installing those, again W7 drivers are often fine in W10.

If that doesnt work, then yes , go back to W7.
Without manufacturer driver support for W10, things are unlikely to improve.

Anyone? Would W7 fix this, or do I need to buy a newer PC? This is driving me mad!

Could you create a dual boot, W7 for now and then hope MS fix W10? I did that with Windows 8, as I wasn't sure I'd like it, I was right :)
Love W10 though, luckily my anniversary update went smoothly, but there are a lot of stories like yours.

I've already reinstalled W7 - lightening quick now. Such as shame as I loved W10 and I have it on my tablet and 2 laptops. Now my main PC is going to have to have W7 on it. Seems ridiculous.

I've got too much to do on it at the moment to chance them fixing it any time soon. My PC is only 4 years old - I3 Processor / 8GB of RAM. Can't justify a new one just to run an OS I've lost faith in!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you could can do a clean install of windows 10 without a key providing you have done a previous upgrade from W8 to W10 as the key is stored/hidden in the PC bios.
Just do a clean install and skip the input of the key when it asks for it, it will validate windows by itself once W10 finishes installing and goes on the internet the first time.

What DazC said you shouldn't need any codes, the licences are now tied to the machines.

A fresh install, using an image or ISO made by microsofts media creation tool, should have activated automatically, you must have used the wrong version for the fresh install, use the "other" version, home or pro, for the fresh install and you wont need a code.

Thanks for the answers, I was using a pro installation disc, switched to a home installation disc and the fresh install went perfectly. Thanks once again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom