Windows 7 Home 64 Bit

RTFM66

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have Compaq Presario CQ61-421SA laptop that has a failed hard drive.
I bought a new SSD and thought I would be able to download Windows 7 from the Microsoft support website but as the laptop came with Windows 7 pre-installed the site will not accept my product key on the underside of the laptop.

Ideally looking for someone with an original Windows 7 Home 64 bit disc I could borrow.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Jeff

If no one has a disc, maybe you could pm me a windows 7 key that came with an original copy, then I could download windows 7 from the Microsoft website

Cheers Jeff

Hi, phone Microsoft Support and tell them your problem, pretty sure that given that you have a licence they will be sympathetic and allow the licence to activate.

Hi, phone Microsoft Support and tell them your problem, pretty sure that given that you have a licence they will be sympathetic and allow the licence to activate.

As you have found out the regular Microsoft download site will only accept retail product keys to download, OEM keys are rejected.
You can still download windows 7 from Microsoft Office and Windows download centre using a download tool available from Heidoc.net
Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool
Download and run Windows ISO Downloader.exe and select the correct edition of windows 7. The iso file is about 4GB and will take a while over a slow connection. Once done you can burn it to a DVD or USB and do a generic install which will activate with your product key

Last edited:
Thanks for the link and the instructions David

Very kind of you.

I will give it a go.

Cheers Jeff

Windows 7 installation successfull thanks.

Only problem now is laptop screen goes black after a few seconds when starting up.

Laptop works fine with external monitor.

Head scratching time again

Thanks David
Will do after it finishes installing 173 updates :)
Cheers

Turned out to be the screen inverter had failed.
All up and running now.
Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom