Question Windows 7 on 4K Display

mr starface

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone got Win 7 running on a 4k monitor?

Just purchased a 28" 4k display and ideally would like to set desktop to 4k but have read about possible compatibility issues and sizing problems.

I realise I can change font size (to larger which is 150% I assume) but will I run into problems viewing websites (I use chrome)?

Any info/advice welcomed.

If the scaling is working then you won't have any issues viewing websites. The only issues you would have would be with software that doesn't work with the display scaling (generally older software written when there was no such thing as display scaling for high dpi screens).

(generally older software written when there was no such thing as display scaling for high dpi screens).

Not quite. Display scaling have been part of the PC ecosystem since very early on. According to this article switchable DPI was added around 1987 with the launch of the IBM 8514 Monitor, with custom DPI settings being introduced in 1995.

The first HiDPI monitors in the current sense were the IBM T220 and T221 launched in 2001 which were 3840x2400 22" screens.

Microsoft have been encouraging support for a long time. For example the WPF interface toolkit that they launched in 2006 supported this by default for all it's interface elements.

So it's not software written before display scaling was a thing, but software written under the assumption that display scaling wouldn't come to the average user, or that the software would be replaced before it did.

Or more forgivably, small companies writing custom interface elements that had to prioritise their time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom