Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Would appreciate advice/guidance...

I'd like to carry out the free Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro upgrade (clean install). Has anyone successfully done this in 2019?

Second question: I currently run 32bit Windows 7 - is my PC compatible with 64bit Windows 10 Pro? Hardware: Intel Pentium G4400, 8GB RAM. Are there compatibility implications with peripherals?

Thanks.

I haven't done it, but I haven't heard anything about the acceptance of Windows 7 keys by the Windows 10 installer being removed.

Most hardware including peripherals needs OS specific drivers, although some of the simpler peripherals like USB drives can use generic drivers.

That's a newish machine contemporary with Windows 10 though, so it's more likely to have had Windows 7 or 32-bit compatibility issues than Windows 10/64-bit ones. The only compatibility issues I'd expect there is with any much older hardware that's connected to it.

That's a newish machine contemporary with Windows 10 though, so it's more likely to have had Windows 7 or 32-bit compatibility issues than Windows 10/64-bit ones.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I purchased the PC (new) without an operating system and installed Windows 7, 32-bit from an installation DVD which came with the key code so fingers crossed.

The only compatibility issues I'd expect there is with any much older hardware that's connected to it.

The peripherals are: a very old scanner, an old (but good) HP inkjet colour printer and a three year old Brother laser printer.

It was easy to find the manufacturer's W10, 64-bit software for the Brother printer. I haven't managed to locate HP's own W10, 64-bit driver for the old colour printer but it appears that W10, 64-bit has a generic inbuilt printer though functionality may be limited. I suspect W10 may have inbuilt scanner drivers/software but, as the scanner isn't great quality anyway, I'm not too fussed if I have to buy a new one.

One final question if I may: I installed a second HDD from a previous PC which is older than the first HDD (that came fitted with the PC). Could there be W10, 64-bit compatibility issues with the old HDD?

Hard drives use a standard interface and it changes slowly, so I'd expect any drive new enough that it can be be plugged into the PC to work.

That spec is fine and you can use Win7 serial keys with Win10 installs. I did one about 11 months ago.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom