Question Windows fails to boot. Can't even boot to safe mode. Help!

masterton

Novice Member
Reaction score
Comodo Internet Security couldn't start properly one day. I uninstalled and restarted. Then reinstalled but failed. It asked me to restart. I was no longer able to boot into Windows after that.

When Windows started, it went directly into Startup Repair. After about 15 minutes, it stated it failed to repair with the following errors:

PROBLEM SIGNATURE
Problem Event Name StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03 unknown
Problem Signature 04 292
Problem Signature 05 Autofailover
Problem Signature 06 1
Problem Signature 07 MissingOSLoader
OS Version 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

I tried system restore but failed. The error message was as follows:
(not exact wording since using another language)
System restore failed while logging in to restore from the restore point.
An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x80070003)

I tried twice to boot into safe mode but failed.
I tried to press F8 rapidly or held down F8 key once computer started . None worked. They simply went straight to the "Startup Repair" loop.

What's up? How could I fix so it could boot again?
Using Windows 7. Thank you.

Wipe the computer and reinstall windows from disc/USB stick. It's generally more straightforward to do that then try and track down and correct the specific issue when the computer isn't usable.

The cause may be malware or a bug in the security software that has modified something it shouldn't, but it could also be data corrupted by failing hardware. If you get any freezes or crashing during installation there's a good chance it's the latter.

Could be a hard disk failure.
How old is the PC?

Wipe the computer and reinstall windows from disc/USB stick. It's generally more straightforward to do that then try and track down and correct the specific issue when the computer isn't usable.

The cause may be malware or a bug in the security software that has modified something it shouldn't, but it could also be data corrupted by failing hardware. If you get any freezes or crashing during installation there's a good chance it's the latter.

No freezes or crashes. Just a message stating failed to install. Then asked for restart. It couldn't boot after that.

Wiping computer is not an option since we want the program data/settings and files to be backed up first from the laptop.

I created a bootable Windows 7 USB drive using Rufus with the following settings:

Partition scheme: MBR.
Target System type: BIOS or UEFI-CSM.
File System: NTFS.
Cluster Size: select the 4096 bytes(Default).

Then I ran the startup repair from the USB drive but failed. The error was slightly different.

PROBLEM SIGNATURE
Problem Event Name StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03 unknown
Problem Signature 04 -1
Problem Signature 05 ExternalMedia
Problem Signature 06 1
Problem Signature 07 NoOsInstalled
OS Version 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

What else could I try to fix it?
I still want to fix if possible.

If not, what is the best way to backup all program data/settings and files from the laptop in this case? Thank you.

Could be a hard disk failure.
How old is the PC?

Perhaps 5-6 years.

Last edited:
There is only one option by installing a kali linux , if you want get your all data back, then you just have to do simple things, by creating a new bootable pendrive with the linux and run it on your computer, then you will see some category, by choosing live linux and the whole windows will be working without even deleting your any partition and data, then you can access your all important data and save it or wherever you want it , and after saving data you have to install new windows which you would like to. :)

and one more thing don't wipe your computer, you can save your data as i said above.

I would also like to tell you that please stop installing free antivirus, that is why it happened with your computer this situation, the reason is that you had installed free aniviturs and you didn't even know during installation free antivurs, you got some malware and virus that made some files corrupt.

Last edited:
If you have any quaries on this topic you can message me, maybe i can help you more. :)

Last edited:
I would also like to tell you that please stop installing free anvirus, that is why it happened with your computer this situation, the reason is that you had installed free aniviturs and you didn't even know during installation free antivurs you got some malware and virus that made some files corrupt.
Really? Avast Free puts a virus on your computer?
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
I also suggest that you check your spelling.

Create a bootable windows 10 USB drive.
Option 1. Run startup repair from the USB drive.
Option 2. Do an upgrade install from the USB drive, selecting the option to "Keep my files"
I can't explain in more detail how to do the above as I've just moved house & only have my phone with Internet access at the moment. But there are plenty of tutorials available online.

Windows 10 has its own built in AV & firewall that is as good or better than the free ones.

A good idea.

would hooking up this drive to another machine work?

this way you can always retrieve all the data you need - but not settings from any software... unless you know if these are stored in separate setting files and you know where to find them...

and if your're successful - then you can wipe it clean put new win installation on it etc.

anyhow - good luck - i can be a serious pain in the bollox situation like this...

m.

Really? Avast Free puts a virus on your computer?
That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have heard.
I also suggest that you check your spelling.

Thank you for suggesting my incorrect spellings, actually i wrote it in rush.. :p

and i let you know that free avast is inseure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom