Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

There is 100% a place for consoles... They are.cost effective in the short term , easy to use and punch above their weight
My response would be there is no place at all *in.my personal collection* for a console without exclusives.because I have a high end pc. I do realise those without a pc will feel different.

I would.love an end to exclusives.tho. so long as the hardware can run it I would.like to see a games on all platforms . After all money is surely made on the software.side.more than hardware.

Damn already ninja'd hrs ago

I would.love an end to exclusives.tho. so long as the hardware can run it I would.like to see a games on all platforms . After all money is surely made on the software.side.more than hardware.

That’s the exact problem now though, there’s no competition without exclusives and Sony know it. In reality consoles are never going to be far apart from a spec perspective, and there’s only so much the joe public care about graphics and fps. Without exclusives, why WOULD someone a ps over an Xbox.. exclusives and purchase history/historic compatibility is what brings consoles the main money now and securing repeat business. It’s a platform after all, you need something to entice people across and bar having games the alternatives don’t there ain’t much.

It’s a shame, but if it keeps competition strong and makes each side continue to up their game in all areas, so guess it’s not that bad a thing.

Exclusives do not bother me.
Everyone raves about The Last of Us, but I am not going to spend £200+ on a PS4 just to play it. Even second hand it would cost me £100. I have an xbox one S, but that is mainly used as a 4K blu ray player now.
I fired up Fifa 20 last night. I presume it is a console port. My GPU didn't even have to spin its fan up whilst playing. (Bear in mind my GPU was released 3 years ago).

@Delvey that is exactly why exclusives DO bother me. Naughty dog make some great games but if you want them if means you have to buy hardware which is redundant all bar a few games.

I dunno time wi tell if it works out for MS but I love that (almost) all their xbox games are coming to pc now

Football games are a funny one. Not sure if it is the case now but historically the pc versions of FIFA and PES have sometimes been on objectively older (inferior) engines on PC than the console version. Bopefuy that nonsense has past now

Can't say exclusives have bothered me either. If a developer studio ties their product to a platform I don't have, I simply won't buy it. I'm not going to spend hundreds of pounds to play one game that's pretty much the same as every other game out there. It's a crowded marketplace these days, plenty of other fish in the sea, and my spare time is a limited resource.

If a console did something special that a PC couldn't do, I might be interested.

Sony make some of the best games out there. As long as they are console exclusive, I will always buy a PlayStation.

That being said, I don't just buy a PlayStation on its games (although its a very big part of the reason why I would), I like the eco system, the controller, I have many friends that aren't PC gamers.

Can not wait to play The Last of Us 2 next Friday!

Robbed from HUKD
A lot more expensive than I originally thought.
Screenshot_20200610-183938_Chrome.jpg

Consoles are no longer easy to use, pick up put down like in the old days. They are becoming a cheap pc. Every game you buy needs a patch before you play, they have bugs. the xbox chat is just as inconsistent as the pc. Not sure about the PS as I don't have any friends to chat with on it. Not that I use it alot.

I have a PC, XB, PS and Switch, but the device I game on the most is my phone!

I have just seen the advert for the last of us part 2. I've arranged to pick up my brothers PS4 to play the last of us. An advert hasn't grabbed me like that for a game since Gears Of War

I have just seen the advert for the last of us part 2. I've arranged to pick up my brothers PS4 to play the last of us. An advert hasn't grabbed me like that for a game since Gears Of War
Stay clear of anything related to that on the net as there are people spoiling the game everywhere.

Amazon price and release date leak. Again take with a pinch of salt.

Amazon price and release date leak. Again take with a pinch of salt.

He's not annoying at all is he? :eek:
About what I expected for the price

Those prices are not to bad if true.
Personally I would not get the digital one mind you..... Look at the Nintendo Wii online library and rumour has it wiiu may not be too far behind.

It's tempting. Take away the cost of cheap games on PC's. 12 Terraflops is quite substantial.
Thoughts?

No, because console always over promise and cut corners. Like using an algorithm to get up to 4K.

Quite simply no because the Series X won't be that powerful.

PC has a few distinct advantages which the series X will struggle to compete with:
1. Modding (games like Skyrim are completely transformed, games like Witcher 3 10x better to play with QOL enhancements, gameplay patches)
2. VR - Valve Index is on PC, Oculus store is on PC, this is an entire dimension of PC gaming unavailable on the XBOX
3. Input methods - we can use (with ease) any controller, keyboard, mouse, wheel flawlessly. Mouse and KB being very superior for FPS games.
4. Displays and aspect ratios - any refresh rate, any aspect ratio (32:9, 16:9)
5. High FPS gaming: on PC unless you have a crap developer, the sky is the limit on your FPS. I will take a big guess now the next gen consoles won't be 4k/120hz any high demanding AAA games like TLOU2. 30FPS will still be a thing.
6. Instant re-master of titles. I can 4K-remaster the Mass Effect series at a click of a button. I can re-master it again with high resolution beautiful textures if I download a texture pack and follow some instructions for 15 minutes.
7. Streaming/Twitch/Social - way easier on the PC with the possibility of multi monitor, your own custom microphones,
8. Entire backlog intact: My backlog from the last 10 years is available to me at a click of a button
9. Game costs; you can go probably a few years not buying many games if you just subscribe to the PC XBOX game pass and Humble monthly. The negative of this is you can't re-sell games easily on PC tho.....

I can go on and on and on. There are way more advantages.

The XBOX will always be better value for money. So will the PS5. They provide enough of the experience alongside exclusive games that for anyone who doesn't want the absolute best, they should step away from the PC.

However for losers who want the best graphical fidelity and methods to tinker like myself, we're going to be stuck getting bent over by NVIDIA for a little while longer.

My PC acts my HTPC, video editting machine, web browser, music player, gaming PC, social machine.. so its crazy cost is a bit easier to stomach when you compare it to a games console.

Then again I typed all that crap but I'm still gonna buy a Ps5.

I seem to have gone the other way, neither the Xbox or the PS5 have taken my fancy and I've built a budget gaming PC using relatively old components - getting a great experience at 1080p 60fps on my plasma (I am not however spending much time tweaking, only making adjustments where I have to).

As I'm getting old, and time is limited, I would get the Xbox IF I decided to replace the HTPC, as I'd have the shared Game Pass library. However with the free games on Epic Store, my existing Steam library, and Xbox Game Pass, I have enough games to last me a lifetime - I do also have a Switch & PS4, and they rarely get turned on, even by my Son (who's himself moved over from his Wii U straight to PC).

So now we have the Xbox X, and the Xbox S.
£250:

“A full version of the earlier leaked teaser has now listed the console's technical specs as including support for 120FPS at 1440p, 4K upscaling for games, 4K media playback, support for DirectX raytracing, and a custom NVME 512GB SSD.”

That will surely tempt those thinking “ah il just build a new pc instead of get the Xbox x!” to think twice..!

Attachments

• 5F684963-E2B0-4F16-BE84-67C108DB3323.jpeg
    5F684963-E2B0-4F16-BE84-67C108DB3323.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 17
£250:

“A full version of the earlier leaked teaser has now listed the console's technical specs as including support for 120FPS at 1440p, 4K upscaling for games, 4K media playback, support for DirectX raytracing, and a custom NVME 512GB SSD.”

That will surely tempt those thinking “ah il just build a new pc instead of get the Xbox x!” to think twice..!
120 fps at 1440p?
My GPU can do 4K at 120 fps, on low settings, which the new consoles will be.

120 fps at 1440p?
My GPU can do 4K at 120 fps, on low settings, which the new consoles will be.

With RTX? Although granted they’ve not said the 120fps is with rtx on.

Cheers. I'm planning on skipping the consoles for a while and instead buying my first Gaming PC with a 3070 if I can get one. Alongside a Ryzen 5 3600 that should ha die most next gen games at over 60fps 1440p right?

£250:

Yeah £250 is a crazy price. Not even sure you can get a GPU that matches all that never mind the rest of the PC you need to add to it!

It even tempts me and I'm Sony all day long but i do have my eye on a new 3070 build and a PS5 instead though. But might pick one up for my son at that price!

Cheers. I'm planning on skipping the consoles for a while and instead buying my first Gaming PC with a 3070 if I can get one. Alongside a Ryzen 5 3600 that should ha die most next gen games at over 60fps 1440p right?
More than enough the new consoles wont get close to a 3070 they more like 2070s/2080 performance

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom