World Cup 2018: BBC to show tournament in Ultra HD & virtual reality

fxv300

Established Member
Reaction score
First come first served doesn’t sound good.

It is HLG and there is a list if compatible sets on the iPlayer site.

That should be a nice boost for 4K TV sales through June and July. Let's hope for some tasty prices to go with it!

Very nervous about the limit. I guess it'll be fine most of the time but need to get online asap for big games.

But is the limit for HD or UHD, as it states it for HD?

Tens of thousands doesn’t sound like many.

Still pissed at Samsung for shafting those of us with KS sets.
Samsung claim they support HLG for KS sets but also said that BBC uses non standard HLG whatever that means.

"First come first served" is a ridiculous way to roll this out, there's going to be a lot of disappointed/annoyed people.

Higher frame rate too which is great. Though how they are gonna do the first come first served part... I hope it isn't a case of getting the stream the moment the show starts and having to sit through an hour of chatting.

Not that I am likely to watch it, my set will not do HLG, why are BBC going HLG?

Not that I am likely to watch it, my set will not do HLG, why are BBC going HLG?

Probably because they developed it (along with Janapn's NHK)

I think the main reasons are that it doesn't require metadata (which could be a problem for live broadcasts) and because you can simultaneously broadcast HDR and SDR.

First come first served does sound worrying.... Most games I'd expect to be fine, but for an England game it could be a mess and crash I guess

40mb? I get about 30 max to my TV. I wonder if that woukd be enough.

The UHD football trial clip does not activate HDR mode on my Panasonic DX750. Had the same issue with the Blue Planet UHD streams. It detects the Rec2020 colour space, and displays in 4K, but no HDR.

Why would it be a disappointment on there being a limited user base. Its obvious its another test but this time on a big production scale in order to see the levels at which all the parts of the system work. To check capacity etc.. and if it copes, then the BBC know they are on the right track with the broadcast of HLG. on a regular basis. People do moan at the slightest things these days, Be grateful The BBC is involved and not just SKY doing these things. If your equipment is not compatible then you need to upgrade as it is with all new tech.

I’ve got a Panasonic 65CR852, 50Dx802 and 50DX700, not one of these is listed as a compatible set in the bbc iPlayer website, rubbish!!!

Well it will cope as it is first come first served.

HLG is a broadcast standard now.

Samsung have said that they can’t technically show HLG on older sets.

It's because HDR10 looks awful when viewed on a non-hdr10 set - and as many of their viewers don't HDR that's not ok. So the BBC teamed up with NHK to develop HLG, a standard which does scale down well.

HLG is more efficient with similar results to HDR.

I wonder what’s the percentage of households in the U.K. that can get a 40meg+ fibre connection? I’ve been able to stream the football test and only have a 25meg connection so it’s probabky down to demand

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom