Question Worth the upgrade as confused with stats?

waring192

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Currently on 'Superfast Broadband 1 Unlimited' and on the BT website it says I download speed range is 'Your download speed range 22Mb - 39Mb' but I'm currently getting a download speed of around 42 - 44 Mbps using my UniFi speedtest and a ping of 14ms. So I'm actually getting quicker than expected!

I have been offered 'Superfast Fiber Halo 1' for £3 more a month which says I should get the same 'Your download speed range 22Mb - 39Mb' yet when I go on BT Broadband I get max observed Downstream of 54.75:

ybXYXyO.jpg

Do you think it's worth upgrading? I don't mind paying the extra £3 but will I actually get around 50+Mbps or what BT says on the website?!

Somewhere on the BT broadband website you can enter your landline number and it will tell you the max speed your line can support.

Somewhere on the BT broadband website you can enter your landline number and it will tell you the max speed your line can support.

BT website says 39 max but I already get 42/44 really. I also posted the image which I pop my phone number in etc and it says 54.75?

You might get 54, you might not. The figures you see are estimates, ie not guaranteed. Can you post your current FTTC router stats for a better idea?

You might get 54, you might not. The figures you see are estimates, ie not guaranteed. Can you post your current FTTC router stats for a better idea?

My modem is not unlocked so I cannot get them. How quick is it to do?

Observed speed seem to show sync speeds rather than data transfer speeds. Sync speeds is the rate at which the line runs at. Actual useful data (which an online speed test measured) only makes up a proportion of that, the rest is all organisational stuff necessary to actually transfer data. If you check your router's control panel it may give you your sync speed, but it'll be pretty close to that 54Mbps if you're able to transfer at 44Mbps.

The 22Mb - 39Mb is an estimate, it's not uncommon to get above that.

As the estimate is the same you're almost certainly being offered a package over the same infrastructure so the speeds will be identical - provided the new package isn't capped at 40Mbps or 52Mbps as some Openreach VDSL packages are.

Observed speed seem to show sync speeds rather than data transfer speeds. Sync speeds is the rate at which the line runs at. Actual useful data (which an online speed test measured) only makes up a proportion of that, the rest is all organisational stuff necessary to actually transfer data. If you check your router's control panel it may give you your sync speed, but it'll be pretty close to that 54Mbps if you're able to transfer at 44Mbps.

The 22Mb - 39Mb is an estimate, it's not uncommon to get above that.

As the estimate is the same you're almost certainly being offered a package over the same infrastructure so the speeds will be identical - provided the new package isn't capped at 40Mbps or 52Mbps as some Openreach VDSL packages are.

Im not transferring at 44Mbps, syncing at 44 (I made an error in my original post). Download speed is around 38Mbps.

AFAIK Halo is a package of extras like providing a 4G MiFi device if your connection goes down. It will have no impact ont he speed you currently receive.

AFAIK Halo is a package of extras like providing a 4G MiFi device if your connection goes down. It will have no impact ont he speed you currently receive.

Ahhh I see, no point in that! Wouldn't mind a bump in speed though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom