Would you buy another newer C9?

SeanB88

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a 65B7 for nearly 3years now and like others I’m now experiencing screen burn issues. I can clearly see FIFA artefacts in the bottom corners. This is partly my fault as I’ve never played in Game mode and the PS4 Pro switches to HDR also, so the panel is pumping out things to the max. It’s only really visible on reds and sometimes you see it as a 5-10% cyan on whites. Most other times it’s not there.

So first thing is I’m going to get rid of it. It is still under warranty but I really can’t be bothered going through the process and was thinking about buying the current C9. It’s fairly cheep at the moment and I can get further discount from a friend that works at JL.

As a big gamer I’m really keen on getting the C9 ready fro the PS5. I do I intend to look after this one a bit more (game mode etc). And from loads of stuff on Youtube burn-in on the newer panels doesn’t seem to be an issue. Plus LG themselves are pushing it as a gaming screen – or is all this just BS?

Has anyone gone from a B/C7 to a C9? Much difference? Worth it? Or would you go with another OLED or QLED?

From what I’ve seen of the CX there is no point eating for that so I would rather buy a C9 now but just not sure.

Last edited:
my c9 lasted 4 days then I got a stuck pixel ive just sent it back ill keep my nanocell then check out the new oleds

As far as I am aware the C9 from 2019 has an increased red sub pixel area to help reduce burn in.

I’ve had a 65B7 for nearly 3years now and like others I’m now experiencing screen burn issues. I can clearly see FIFA artefacts in the bottom corners. This is partly my fault as I’ve never played in Game mode

I thought Game mode was used to ensure that any unnecessary picture processing was turned off in order to reduce the response time for gaming - what does it do to reduce the risk of screen burn ?

13 months and 3200 hrs of varied content about 30 sport with banners and crap, no issues to report.
You are about half way to burn in territory. Most don't experience it until 2-3 years. And when it suddenly starts...it's like an avalanche. My "mute" icon now has now even burned in.....

You are about half way to burn in territory. Most don't experience it until 2-3 years. And when it suddenly starts...it's like an avalanche. My "mute" icon now has now even burned in.....
My previous Oled didnt display any burn in after 3 1/2 years of use either.

Im not worried about the E8 getting burn in due to the new screens with the bigger red sub pixel. Havnt seen any confirmation of burn in on the newer panels.

My previous Oled didnt display any burn in after 3 1/2 years of use either.

Im not worried about the E8 getting burn in due to the new screens with the bigger red sub pixel. Havnt seen any confirmation of burn in on the newer panels.

You must be lying :D

Because his logical, common sense, statistically sound analysis had proved everyone will get burn in after 3 years 🤣

OP, I'd still try to chase up a repair/replacement. Personally if that didn't come through, I wouldn't buy another. How would you feel if it happened again?

In other words, this is way too early to allow for any conclusions
What makes you say that? Users report seeing image retention under normal usage after 2.5 years use. His set now has the equivalent of 2.2 years use.

In other words, this is way too early to allow for any conclusions

I would have thought 3200 to start to be significant but the fact remains my previous OLED had 3 1/2 yrs without issues either.. I only checked when the new buyer asked about burn in so we ran a few slides and was happy with the outcome.

As I posted in the other Burn In poll for the 2018 panels I checked all the Yes votes and of the users I could check it couldn't be established that they had burn in or not from their posts. So for now I think I have only seen 1 case worldwide of burn in on a 2018/19 Panel.

1 case worldwide of burn in on a 2018/19 Panel.

I am sure there are have been reports about 2018 panels, and wrt 2019 - they have been on the market for roughly 8 months! Do you really think that is representative of whether they are affected by burn-in or not? Only panels dating at least to 2016, ie having around 4 years of use, have to be considered to make any conclusions re burn-in.

If the burn-in problem was solved, LG would surely be providing warrranty cover for that (business use and 'abuse' are not usually covered, so that is not is not an excuse) - but they are not, making buyers go through the hoops with retailers. And all recommendations to avoid gaming or to set brightnessat 50% max, both of which are normal use, just confirm the issue is still there.

And please stop comparing OLED burn-in to plasma burn-in - a) they are different in nature b) plasma burn-in was much less prevalent

I am sure there are have been reports about 2018 panels, and wrt 2019 - they have been on the market for roughly 8 months! Do you really think that is representative of whether they are affected by burn-in or not? Only panels dating at least to 2016, ie having around 4 years of use, have to be considered to make any conclusions re burn-in.

If the burn-in problem was solved, LG would surely be providing warrranty cover for that (business use and 'abuse' are not usually covered, so that is not is not an excuse) - but they are not, making buyers go through the hoops with retailers. And all recommendations to avoid gaming or to set brightnessat 50% max, both of which are normal use, just confirm the issue is still there.

And please stop comparing OLED burn-in to plasma burn-in - a) they are different in nature b) plasma burn-in was much less prevalent

Based on? I remember a lot of posts about Plasma burn in in the early days.

But in the alternative, the same argument regarding warranty cover applies to Plasma. Why didnt manufacturers cover burn in for Plasma TV's? Even Samsung only added burn in cover to their LED sets once they stopped producing Plasma and failed to get OLED to market.

See the thing is I have searched other forums and have yet to see a pic or properly confirmed case of a 2018 panel suffering burn in. If you can find any please post them.

LG changed the panels in 2018 to address the issue. This doesnt mean you can leave static images on screen forever but hopefully they last longer than the problematic earlier panels.

I never mentioned Plasma as I enjoyed 8 good years with one but jumped into OLED in 2015 and havn't experienced an issue with them.

You must be lying :D

Because his logical, common sense, statistically sound analysis had proved everyone will get burn in after 3 years 🤣
Depends on how you use it really... so Im not too worried coz I only use it to watch big production series and film...

IMG_20210407_184334.jpg
2 year old LG C8. Predominantly run on standard mode, vivid for F1. Previous C7 did the same, last oled I'll buy unfortunate

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom