Disney+ LG app shows no UHD

JSWolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it that the LG Disney+ app no longer shows UHD but HD instead? The XBox One S app does show UHD.

Last edited:
Is the app on your TV, if so what model number is it?

I have an LG 55UH850V. I do have the D+ app installed. It did show 4K content as 4k before yesterday. Now it shows HD instead.

In the link that jswg posted, one of the users messaged Disney in regards to this and the indian said that because of the co-vid19 lockdown, streaming bandwidth will be reduced.

In the link that jswg posted, one of the users messaged Disney in regards to this and the indian said that because of the co-vid19 lockdown, streaming bandwidth will be reduced.

That's not the reason. My Xbox One S app shows 4k/UHD. The support person said there was a problem with the app and a new version would be released on April 10 to fix it.

My 2016 LG TV has this problem and my 2019 LG TV does not. I know it's 1440p, but it's still a better picture then HD. I have to use the Xbox One S app on my 55" TV to get 1440p. If the program I want to watch is normally HD, either app is OK.

Last edited:
Go to the bottom of the following link:

I'd try calling them and see what happens.

Go to the bottom of the following link:

I'd try calling them and see what happens.

Thanks. I'll do so later in the week. The updated app didn't fix the problem.

I have an LG 55UH850V. I do have the D+ app installed. It did show 4K content as 4k before yesterday. Now it shows HD instead.

Hi, can I ask how you have managed to install the Disney+ app on your LG 55UH850V, as I have looked on the LG content store and I am not able to find it anywhere.

I'm running the latest WebOS version for this TV.

If you could help that would be great.

Thanks

Hi, can I ask how you have managed to install the Disney+ app on your LG 55UH850V, as I have looked on the LG content store and I am not able to find it anywhere.

I'm running the latest WebOS version for this TV.

If you could help that would be great.

Thanks

I went to the LG content store and downloaded it from there. It's under the Premium section.

Please let me know if you see Dolby Vision and UHD. I only see Dolby Vision and HD. Thanks.

I went to the LG content store and downloaded it from there. It's under the Premium section.

Please let me know if you see Dolby Vision and UHD. I only see Dolby Vision and HD. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for the info, I'd tried searching and it wouldn't find it, but was there as you say in Premium very odd.

I believe that Dolby Vision is UHD format, this is a description I found on Toms Hardware:-

Dolby Vision
is the brand name for a high dynamic range (HDR) 4K video format developed and promoted by the folks that brought us
Dolby
Surround

Thanks again,
Phil

Hi,

I was having similar issues too with my internal apps on my LG 58UH635V not playing in 4k, noticeable particularly on Disney+ (plays HDR10, but then in HD despite being a 4k TV). Netflix is an odder one as 4K titles without HDR are fine, but those with HDR don’t have the 4k badge too.

I had a response from LG this evening advising that WebOS3 does not support 4k.

“Our TVs running WebOS 3, such as your model, can access UHD content on the Disney + App, but not 4K. This is due to the application version compatible with these units, not the capabilities of the panel on your TV. I would be happy to raise a customer suggestion for you to enable 4K content through this application. Please note that this would be an internal process where your comments are forwarded to the relevant team for investigation. You will only receive a response if we require further information from you.”

Seems a bit odd that a 4k tv doesn’t have the internal capability to play 4k content using the manufacturers own apps doesn’t it?!

Hi,

I was having similar issues too with my internal apps on my LG 58UH635V not playing in 4k, noticeable particularly on Disney+ (plays HDR10, but then in HD despite being a 4k TV). Netflix is an odder one as 4K titles without HDR are fine, but those with HDR don’t have the 4k badge too.

I had a response from LG this evening advising that WebOS3 does not support 4k.

“Our TVs running WebOS 3, such as your model, can access UHD content on the Disney + App, but not 4K. This is due to the application version compatible with these units, not the capabilities of the panel on your TV. I would be happy to raise a customer suggestion for you to enable 4K content through this application. Please note that this would be an internal process where your comments are forwarded to the relevant team for investigation. You will only receive a response if we require further information from you.”

Seems a bit odd that a 4k tv doesn’t have the internal capability to play 4k content using the manufacturers own apps doesn’t it?!

I get 4K using the Disney+ app on my XBox One S. I also get 4K from the Netflix app, Amazon Prime Video app, BBC iPlayer app and YouTube (no HDR though), I also get 4K from the Sky Q box and the XBox One S. So why is it just the Disney+ app not giving UHD/4K. When I first installed the Disney+ app, it showed UHD. Now it shows HD.

I get 4K using the Disney+ app on my XBox One S. I also get 4K from the Netflix app, Amazon Prime Video app, BBC iPlayer app and YouTube (no HDR though), I also get 4K from the Sky Q box and the XBox One S. So why is it just the Disney+ app not giving UHD/4K. When I first installed the Disney+ app, it showed UHD. Now it shows HD.

It’s crazy isn’t it! I have a Sky Q box with Disney Plus on too but it’s currently out of action (engineer coming next Fri)...that was HD before but I believe they have recently done an update on it to fix that issue!

just out of interest, on Netflix app does it allow you to play HDR and 4K? Mine says either 4K or HDR on the “badges” below the title. Never both!

first world problems and all that but it’s annoying!!!

It’s crazy isn’t it! I have a Sky Q box with Disney Plus on too but it’s currently out of action (engineer coming next Fri)...that was HD before but I believe they have recently done an update on it to fix that issue!

just out of interest, on Netflix app does it allow you to play HDR and 4K? Mine says either 4K or HDR on the “badges” below the title. Never both!

first world problems and all that but it’s annoying!!!
Most HDR on Netflix is 4K. Watch something made by Netflix that's HDR and it will be 4K.

So Stranger Things (for example) just says HDR below it. No mention of 4k. Some titles (like Breaking Bad) say “Ultra HD 4K”. In essence, my question is does Stranger Things lose the 4K element by being HDR (I.e. should it state HDR and Ultra HD 4K) or does the HDR supersede the 4K thing and it is just in 4K anyway? Apologies if I am being a bit thick.

if only the LG tv had a way of pulling up details of what it was playing in whilst playing.Grr.

So Stranger Things (for example) just says HDR below it. No mention of 4k. Some titles (like Breaking Bad) say “Ultra HD 4K”. In essence, my question is does Stranger Things lose the 4K element by being HDR (I.e. should it state HDR and Ultra HD 4K) or does the HDR supersede the 4K thing and it is just in 4K anyway? Apologies if I am being a bit thick.

if only the LG tv had a way of pulling up details of what it was playing in whilst playing.Grr.
If your remote has an i button, press it while playing Stranger Things. If your remote does not have an i button, download the LG ThinQ app to your phone and use that as a remote. It has an i button.

When you press the i button you will see the bandwidth and resolution. I show 15.25 Mbps / 2160.

But you may have to wait while the batdwith and resolution increases.

If your remote has an i button, press it while playing Stranger Things. If your remote does not have an i button, download the LG ThinQ app to your phone and use that as a remote. It has an i button.

When you press the i button you will see the bandwidth and resolution. I show 15.25 Mbps / 2160.

But you may have to wait while the batdwith and resolution increases.

I had no idea about the app. There is no “i” on the actual remote, but did it through the app and hey presto, HDR alone on Netflix does indeed stream in 2160! Thank you so much, that was really helpful :)
The button doesn’t work on Prime or Disney+ but I know the Disney+ app is playing in 1080 anyway (hence my original point I raised with LG).

absolutely brilliant, thank you again, really appreciate it!

I had no idea about the app. There is no “i” on the actual remote, but did it through the app and hey presto, HDR alone on Netflix does indeed stream in 2160! Thank you so much, that was really helpful :)
The button doesn’t work on Prime or Disney+ but I know the Disney+ app is playing in 1080 anyway (hence my original point I raised with LG).

absolutely brilliant, thank you again, really appreciate it!

HDR alone does not always means 2160. Check out Star Trek: Discovery. It is 1080/HDR.

Ah yeah, good point. I mean “HDR” on Netflix will put it into the best definition available! I’m happy with that! Disney +, that’s another story, and Prime I don’t really know but hey!
Thanks again mate.

Greetings one and all.

Good thread! Thank you JSWolf for the ThinQ tip regarding the "i" functionality. MOST useful!

See the attached link - LG CONTENT STORE

The first FAQ confirms that webos 3.0 TVs (like mine) currently cannot do UHD on the Disney + app, but they are working on it. This could mean an update to the app (I'm currently on 1.2.7) or an update to the TV's firmware (I'm currently on 05.30.80) OR BOTH!

Currently I'm getting HD and Dolby Vision through the app or UHD and no High Dynamic Range of any variety through SkyQ. My Sky box is an original one that won't do HDR, and Sky are reportedy going to charge £50 for a box swap! They can Foxtrot Oscar! Some people on Sky will be even more unlucky than me because it is reported that if your TV doesn't do Hybrid Log Gamma, not only will you not get any HDR on Disney +, you won't get UHD either!

Ideally, the app will eventually get fixed, SKY won't get £50 of my money and I'll be a happy Boy :)

Patience is a virtue (apparently :) )

Hi! Just gone on Disney Plus On the LG app and 4K Ultra HD with HDR is showing... have they fixed it? You getting the
same?

YES!!! Weird!

No updated app or firmware, just UHD, out of the blue!

Well done whoever did this :)

4K and Dolby Vision....result!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom