Xbox One Backwards Compatibility

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Xbox One Backward Compatibility | Xbox

Available games
Initial titles with more to come. Games are subject to change.
  • A Kingdom for Keflings
  • A World of Keflings
  • Alien Hominid HD
  • Assassin's Creed II
  • Asteroids & Deluxe
  • Banjo-Kazooie®
  • Banjo Kazooie®: Nuts & Bolts
  • Banjo-Tooie®
  • BattleBlock Theater
  • Bejeweled 2
  • Bellator: MMA Onslaught
  • Beyond Good & Evil HD
  • Blood of the Werewolf
  • BloodRayne: Betrayal
  • Borderlands
  • Call of Juarez® Gunslinger
  • Castle Crashers
  • CastleStorm
  • Centipede & Millipede
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins
  • Crazy Taxi™
  • Deadliest Warrior: Legends
  • Defense Grid: The Awakening
  • DiRT 3
  • DiRT Showdown
  • Discs of Tron
  • Doom
  • Doom II
  • Dungeon Siege III
  • Earthworm Jim HD
  • Fable II
  • Fallout 3
  • Feeding Frenzy
  • Feeding Frenzy 2: Shipwreck Showdown
  • Gears of War
  • Gears of War 2
  • Gears of War 3
  • Gears of War: Judgment
  • Golden Axe™
  • Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Hardwood Backgammon®
  • Hardwood Hearts®
  • Hardwood Spades®
  • Heavy Weapon
  • Hexic HD
  • Ikaruga
  • Jetpac Refuelled
  • Joy Ride Turbo
  • Just Cause 2
  • Kameo™: Elements of Power
  • LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game
  • LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
  • Lode Runner™
  • LUMINES LIVE!
  • Mass Effect™
  • Metal Slug 3
  • Metal Slug XX
  • Might & Magic Clash of Heroes™
  • Mirror's Edge™
  • Missile Command
  • Monday Night Combat
  • Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
  • Monkey Island: Special Edition
  • Ms. Splosion Man™
  • Mutant Blobs Attack!!!
  • N+
  • NBA JAM: On Fire Edition
  • NiGHTS into dreams...
  • Operation Flashpoint™: Dragon Rising
  • Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX+
  • Pac-Man: Championship Edition™
  • Perfect Dark
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds
  • Pinball FX™
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • Prince of Persia
  • Putty Squad
  • Rayman 3 HD
  • R-Type Dimensions™
  • Sacred Citadel
  • Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.
  • Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe
  • Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World
  • Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage
  • Shadow Complex
  • Sonic CD
  • Sonic The Hedgehog
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 2
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 3
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth™
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Supreme Commander 2
  • Tom Clancy's RainbowSix Vegas
  • Tom Clancy's RainbowSix Vegas 2
  • Torchlight
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Toy Soldiers: Cold War
  • Tron: Evolution
  • Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon
  • Viva Piñata
  • Viva Piñata: Trouble In Paradise
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Zuma

Last edited:
Just breaking out some of the topics from the conference yesterday as General chat is moving pretty fast.

This was a perfect announcement for me, i traded in and bought all my 360 games digitally at the end of last gen hoping that this sort of system was in place! Looking for to them all popping up as and when they are released!

Great news, well done MS. This should bring in a lot of 360 owners previously reluctant to invest in a new console.

Very nice tho limited so far, i got Jetpack & Zuma in my games this morning!

I would love to play through RDR again, and MW2 revival could have legs now!

Its already announced the when you buy Fallout 4 you get Fallout 3 included, so tick that one off your most requested list. :smashin:

For anyone interested, at cdkeys you can buy Viva Pinvata for £1.99, i guess that will work on xb1 now.

http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/2

Very nice tho limited so far, i got Jetpack & Zuma in my games this morning!

I would love to play through RDR again, and MW2 revival could have legs now!

Its already announced the when you buy Fallout 4 you get Fallout 3 included, so tick that one off your most requested list. :smashin:

For anyone interested, at cdkeys you can buy Viva Pinvata for £1.99, i guess that will work on xb1 now.

http://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/2
£1.89 if you use 5% off code :D :D

10p off is better than nothing

Got to be COD4 but in the comments there going on about modding on the 360 so its unplayable. Whats that all about?

Great move by Microsoft and two fingers up to Sonys pay system.

Only thing for me is are these automatically going to download to your X1 when they become available? Ive got space isssues on the X1 with what little ive got on there already nevermind another 500 gig on 360 jostling for space.

Great move by Microsoft and two fingers up to Sonys pay system.

Only thing for me is are these automatically going to download to your X1 when they become available? Ive got space isssues on the X1 with what little ive got on there already nevermind another 500 gig on 360 jostling for space.

Dont think so. Think they just sit in your ready to install list once available waiting for you to select it to download.

Dont think so. Think they just sit in your ready to install list once available waiting for you to select it to download.

Yes thats right, i had Jetpack & Zuma show up last night, you then choose if you want ti install them or not.

They didn't mention how long it takes to add a game to the service right? So it could take like 1 or 2 weeks to get a game successfully emulated on the XB1?

I hope everyone is being realistic about the prospect of their entire 360 library being available on XB1... I don't think it's going to happen.

They didn't mention how long it takes to add a game to the service right? So it could take like 1 or 2 weeks to get a game successfully emulated on the XB1?

I hope everyone is being realistic about the prospect of their entire 360 library being available on XB1... I don't think it's going to happen.

It is just work for them and not the game developers. They just have to give the OK for the games to appear on Xbox One.

It may not be every game but I am sure the collection/list will grow over the next few months.
I will just be happy if it includes my XBLA Games.

Watched an interview and the way they explained it was theres nothing the really do other than run it through a program which gets it ready for publication on Xbox live and the only limitation is the Developer say yes and maybe some licensing re for example songs etc.

It is just work for them and not the game developers. They just have to give the OK for the games to appear on Xbox One.

It may not be every game but I am sure the collection/list will grow over the next few months.
I will just be happy if it includes my XBLA Games.
Yah, I'm not trying to downplay anything as it's pretty damn cool feat and something Sony could never do because of how the PS3 was made. For all future generations though, with both systems being based on PC architecture I think it will be commonplace.

I just think it will include only the most requested (and easiest that aren't the most requested), and eventually die off after a couple years even if not every game in the catalog is on there simply because people will have successfully moved on to next gen from this feature.

It sweeps PSNow under the rug, that's for sure. Now if it can shatter my expectations and get the games up in a day or two vice a week or two, then I'll be seriously impressed.

Watched an interview and the way they explained it was theres nothing the really do other than run it through a program which gets it ready for publication on Xbox live and the only limitation is the Developer say yes and maybe some licensing re for example songs etc.
So no testing or anything needs to occur? No testing any kind of emulation or corrupt publication through the program?

If it's just a matter of running it through the program and it can be done in a few hours, then that's pretty damn cool.

Yah, I'm not trying to downplay anything as it's pretty damn cool feat and something Sony could never do because of how the PS3 was made. For all future generations though, with both systems being based on PC architecture I think it will be commonplace.

I just think it will include only the most requested (and easiest that aren't the most requested), and eventually die off after a couple years even if not every game in the catalog is on there simply because people will have successfully moved on to next gen from this feature.

It sweeps PSNow under the rug, that's for sure. Now if it can shatter my expectations and get the games up in a day or two vice a week or two, then I'll be seriously impressed.

They say over 100 games by end of fall. The only time limitation is agreeing with publishers and as mentioned above any license agreements for content within the games.

Nobody expects everything but over100 by say November sounds promising.

Caveat being I have no desire to revisit these games. But those still with just a 360 should have more incentive to upgrade now.

So no testing or anything needs to occur? No testing any kind of emulation or corrupt publication through the program?

If it's just a matter of running it through the program and it can be done in a few hours, then that's pretty damn cool.

Found the video, Its the Xbox One Daily show.

The bit about backwards compatibility starts at 48 minutes.

Couple of quotes they guy says

"We put it through the emulation program"

"Put them in through the program, package them and we can distribute them to the catalogue"

Watch live: Xbox Daily for day zero of E3 | Stevivor

I'm not trying to downplay anything as it's pretty damn cool feat and something Sony could never do because of how the PS3 was made. For all future generations though, with both systems being based on PC architecture I think it will be commonplace.

That's pretty much how the 360's Xbox BC emulation went. It wasn't every game and the catalogue was updated over time. However, it worked in a different way and required a title update to be installed on the 360 when a new one was available (it checked when loading a BC title). Eventually MS pulled the plug on this feature.

It's not even how long it takes that is the issue. Once a decent emulator has been built (and this emulator is bound to be a good one) not much has to be done to the games to get them to run on it. The issue is more likely getting the publishers to allow it. Particularly with the trend of re releasing old games on new consoles. Some will refuse it in case they can charge for a slightly improved version later.

I would say the most limiting thing is going to be getting licenses & approval from publishers.

Red Dead has to be my no.1 love to play that again.

It's not even how long it takes that is the issue. Once a decent emulator has been built (and this emulator is bound to be a good one) not much has to be done to the games to get them to run on it. The issue is more likely getting the publishers to allow it. Particularly with the trend of re releasing old games on new consoles. Some will refuse it in case they can charge for a slightly improved version later.
Yah, honestly it sounds like some of the other logistics will be the more time consuming. I.e. getting rights to the music again, or getting devs on board with allowing it to be emulated on XB1. They could be waiting weeks for authority. But if they ask for a majority of the games now, then it's possible that in a month or two that a hundred could be added to the list. Bonus.

Really cant see why a dev/publisher wouldn't want theyre game to be put on as surely it will give a new drive in sales as people go out and buy cheap copies of games again.

Only reason i can think that a game might be delayed is they want to release it as a freebie to go along side a new game as a marketing gimick to boost sales.

So will this work for Xbox 360 games on disc OK? The guy at Game I spoke to today (yeah I know!) seemed to think it was for digital purchases only. Hope not! I haven't bought any 360 games digitally and I don't think I know anyone who has either.

Really cant see why a dev/publisher wouldn't want theyre game to be put on as surely it will give a new drive in sales as people go out and buy cheap copies of games again.

Only reason i can think that a game might be delayed is they want to release it as a freebie to go along side a new game as a marketing gimick to boost sales.

I would imagine developers would want people to purchase new games rather than old ones. Personally I would purchase second hand and get the digital version which means the publisher gets nothing.

What those 2nd hand sales ;)

I can see Digital Sales on 360 increasing especially of games like COD4, Red Dead and so on.

Will be interesting to see what games are given away as free as incentives or pre-order bonus's.
Already a couple confirmed with Fallout 3 and Rainbow Six Vegas.
I can see Alan Wake being given out with Quantum Break and Crackdown with the new Crackdown.

It may not change anything and I might not ever load up a 360 title on my Xbox but just knowing they are there would be good if I ever wanted to play Online with an old game and also catch up with friends who are still on 360. But the big thing is it's now easier for people to jump to Next Gen and still play some of their games and get some money back from their current console.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom