Xbox One Backwards Compatibility

so by the article they've said the backwards compatibility team are now working on making the games on xbox one compatible with future hardware. by that it sounds as if they will be doing extra work to xbox one titles

The way they are talking is they are going to make EVERYTHING BC

If they could find a way to do that it would be huge. I wish all the platform holders could do that.

I think its going to be the games that are already backwards compatible on the xbox one that will continue to be available on the xbox scarlet.

I think the rest will be left behind

As per my previous post, what I got from what they were saying, and something I've hoped for for while now, is that they're looking at making everything work on the new console.
So technically not backwards compatible, but simply just compatible.
Somewhere at the hardware level, if you pop in an OG Xbox disc, Scarlett will recognise it. No need for BC updates.
If you pop in an Xbox360 disc. Instantly recognised.
Same with Xbox One games.
No need for bulky emulator downloads(which is what the current BC is), just original game download or from disc installation.
Only updates would be for enhancements. Like how some Xbox360 games have received X1X enhanced updates.

A truly all in one console.
And as they said, bringing 4 generations of games to one console.

Nearly finished splinter cell blacklist on the X. Can definately say this is the best thing I've played on xbox one. Before rampant dlc, one engine fits all and rinsing the customer for every penny, ubisoft actually made very good sp games.
HL2 next then halo 3, Kane and lynch 2 and Republic commando. Gotta love bc, fills the void.

I personally like that the xbox one doesnt install fro disc and just uses it as a licence to trigger a download as alot of 360 discs are scratched to bits and it doesnt matter now

I wonder what the backwards compatibility team are doing to the xbox one games are they just making them compatible with the scarlet are are they doing enhancements to them

I wonder what the backwards compatibility team are doing to the xbox one games are they just making them compatible with the scarlet are are they doing enhancements to them
Gotta be honest, there's not much I want to see remastered from this gen.

My guess is the archecture will be similar and as games run in a hyper-v system I‘d imagine the work to get it to run will not be as difficult as it was to get 360 games to run on the current hardware.

I’d imagine they will focus more on post process effects like anti-aliasing.

Also would be cool if game devs had the option of releasing enhanced updates to games that already have PC ports so they could run the Xbox One game at higher settings on the Scarlet (such as running Gears 5 on more Insane settings).

Also would be cool if game devs had the option of releasing enhanced updates to games that already have PC ports so they could run the Xbox One game at higher settings on the Scarlet (such as running Gears 5 on more Insane settings).
They are sold to us as remasters mate :)

hopefully with backwards compatibility remasters will soon be a thing of the past however there still the complete game of the year edition they will flog all over over again

Is it possible to play Xbox360 games on Xbox One without updates?
The reason is, for now it seems I'm going to have to concede that my Xbox360 is out of action.
The HDMI port seems to be dying. Either that or the HDMI port it's plugged into on my AV receiver is dying. I'm going to test the console on another TV to see if it's the console HDMI or the AVRs.
Either way, the picture keeps cutting out and coming back, as well as split second audio drops.
I still consider my 360 worth getting repaired as it feels more genuine to play 360 games on it.
Unfortunately, with the way the world is at the moment, I don't think sending it away will have the usual quick turn around.
For now I'm using BC.
My only issue with it is that GTA IV has had an update which replaces most of the games music, and for me the music is a huge part of the enjoyability as it really sets the mood.
I was planning on playing it soon and refusing the update on the 360.
So looks like I'll have to play it BC, but I don't really want to if I can't refuse the update that removes so much of the original soundtrack.

So, can I play GTA IV on X1 without the latest update for the game?

Backwards compatibility has to download the complete emulated version of the game from Microsoft to allow it to work on Xbox One, if its a disc based game then you need to have the disc in the console when playing to confirm you own the game.

The reason is, for now it seems I'm going to have to concede that my Xbox360 is out of action.
The HDMI port seems to be dying. Either that or the HDMI port it's plugged into on my AV receiver is dying. I'm going to test the console on another TV to see if it's the console HDMI or the AVRs.
Either way, the picture keeps cutting out and coming back, as well as split second audio drops.
I still consider my 360 worth getting repaired as it feels more genuine to play 360 games on it.
Unfortunately, with the way the world is at the moment, I don't think sending it away will have the usual quick turn around.
For now I'm using BC.
My only issue with it is that GTA IV has had an update which replaces most of the games music, and for me the music is a huge part of the enjoyability as it really sets the mood.
So looks like I'll have to play it BC, but I don't really want to if I can't refuse the update that removes so much of the original soundtrack.

no you cant

no you cant

Short, but to the point.
Thanks.

Backwards compatibility has to download the complete emulated version of the game from Microsoft to allow it to work on Xbox One, if its a disc based game then you need to have the disc in the console when playing to confirm you own the game.

I know how BC works, and that it's not a true BC but an emulation.
I wanted to know if I could avoid updates like the one that removes music in GTA IV, but thanks for taking the time to read my post properly and provide a relevant reply.

For now I'm using BC.

it might be cheaper to get second hand slim xbox 360 rather than have it repaired

I still need to check where the issue is.
As much of pain as it would be, it'd be cheaper if it's an issue with the AVRs HDMI port as the amp is under warranty and can be repaired/replaced.

Buffy the vampire slayer (with added achievements) for me
Loved that game.

and the brothers in arms game

I've said it before, and will say it a thousand times again. BLUR please. Absolutely loved it at the time. The joy of a full race of 20 cars constantly changing positions was pure joy. One of the few games where you could have as much fun coming last as winning.

I've said it before, and will say it a thousand times again. BLUR please. Absolutely loved it at the time. The joy of a full race of 20 cars constantly changing positions was pure joy. One of the few games where you could have as much fun coming last as winning.
I loved playing that game.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom