Xbox One Blue-ray Drive Replacement

Dogconker

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am breaking open a first gen Xbox one as the fan is rattling and that’s an easy fix once in there. I was thinking of replacing the Blueray unit also but wanted to know if there are any effects of doing so, do I have to do factory resets, will it work ok with the motherboard etc. Basically am I going to lose my game saves and mods for skyrim and if I change the Blueray

there are also several 3rd party units on Amazon but not sure what I should or shouldn’t use.

I wouldn’t bother except I get the intermittent “cannot read disc error” and that has been getting worse.

would welcome some feedback from anyone who’s done it before.

thanks

Don't know about the xbox one but on the xbox 360's they used various manufacturers for the disc drive, so for starters you had to find a suitable drive that was from the same manufacturer , and the drive had a board in that was matched to the motherboard, so you had to cut it out and resolder it back into a new working drive otherwise it wouldn't work.

I would think its matched to the motherboard also.

That said if it's just reading disks you can probably get a new laser which should solve your issue

I would think its matched to the motherboard also.

That said if it's just reading disks you can probably get a new laser which should solve your issue

I can swap the motherboard out from the old unit to the new one, there’s a mechanical issue also withdrawing the disc in sometimes do it does need a whole unit, trying to find out really if I’d have to factory reset the console which I'm trying to avoid as it’s a nightmare. I’m thinking if its tge same motherboard then the console should see it astge same blueray unit?

Why would you restet the console at all?

I've not repaired a One but I did a good few 360's and PS2 lasers. Just swap the parts a s go, no troubles with the system software.

I don’t know, that’s why I was asking. I can replace the parts and I know the mother board has to be kept in the new drive. Just wanted to check I won’t lose games attached.

but thanks, what your saying seems to confirm what I hoped, that it’s basically plug and play

I think the disc drives on xbox ones are matched to each motherboard. so that drive only works with that motherboard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom