Xbox one Dolby vision

raz77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
If it adds Dolby Vision support to UHD Blu-rays I'll be very pleased. Just need to sort a better universal remote and hide my Xbox One S somewhere it can't be heard.

That's good news. Given Microsoft's advertising partnership with Samsung, I will jump to the wild conclusion that when the content is their the Xbox will also support HDR10+ as well.

I am not really sure on the significance on streaming app support on the Xbox, as I find it more convenient to use the TV apps anyway, but as others speculate, the hope is that this is a testing ground ahead of 4K UHD disc support.

What’s the point for streaming services , if you have a Dolby vision capable screen you will have have the Netflix app with Dolby vision anyway . Now a Dolby vision update for 4k Blu-ray , now your talking

What’s the point for streaming services , if you have a Dolby vision capable screen you will have have the Netflix app with Dolby vision anyway . Now a Dolby vision update for 4k Blu-ray , now your talking

You might not have Dolby Atmos through your TV though. I have the LG OLED B6 and it doesn't pass DD+ so in order for me to get Atmos and Vision I need an external player that can handle both.

I would rather they spent their resources sorting out what the've got first and focus on the basics.
- Proper Atmos
- CEC
DOLBY Vision is meh...

I would rather they spent their resources sorting out what the've got first and focus on the basics.
- Proper Atmos
- CEC
DOLBY Vision is meh...

Biryets,

I think DolbyVision coming to the XBOX One S and XBOX One X is a big deal - well it will be if they add DV to UHD Blu-ray playback.

I'm lucky enough to own an Oppo 203 UHD player, but it's almost twice the price of the XBOX One X. Adding DolbyVision compatibility to the XBOX is a great move by Microsoft (and one of the most requested features). Bringing the option of DV to a far larger user base has to be a good thing, doesn't it?

What issues have you had with Dolby Atmos, I find it works great with the XBOX One X using the NetFlix app?

Regards,

James.

Was hoping PlayStation was the one to add DV. Typical

Also future proofs your tv, no idea what LG are like long term with software updates but I’ve got smart TVs (mostly Samsung) that are now no longer smart because Samsung has turned off something at their end which has caused the smart features to die because they are calling out to an invalid address during initialisation which leaves the smart hub stuck in mid boot and unresponsive.

If they bring DV to UHD bluray I could be tempted to get one. Would have to put direct to tv though as my AVR wont pass through DV :(

That’s great news. Really delighted to see Microsoft continually adding support with future updates. Got my One S for £200 a couple years ago. What a great investment.

Always gotten PlayStation because of support for dvd - bd, seems I’ll be getting my first xbox in the near future. Thumbs up Microsoft.

This is great. DV is the best HDR technology thus far IMO!

So does that mean that when you open the netfilx app the tv will go into DV mode rather than HDR mode now...regardless if what you're watching? It's been a bug since day 1 that still isn't sorted as far as I'm aware...

Also future proofs your tv, no idea what LG are like long term with software updates but I’ve got smart TVs (mostly Samsung) that are now no longer smart because Samsung has turned off something at their end which has caused the smart features to die because they are calling out to an invalid address during initialisation which leaves the smart hub stuck in mid boot and unresponsive.

This is a very important point. Manufacturers all too often abandon the apps in TVs very quickly. If you get 2 or 3 years support you're doing well. By having streaming apps such as iPlayer, NetFlix and also Dolby Vision support available on the XBOX One, you gain *some* peace of mind regarding future support and compatibility, without having to rely on the apps built into TV.

It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft also add HLG support to the XBOX One as HDR encoded as HLG starts to gain momentum on streaming services. Sky are committed to HLG, but there's still no time table from them regarding its introduction.

Regards,

James.

Hopefully Rakuten gets an update also, even to just 4K would be nice, I have a couple films that where on offer for a quid which also got updated for free to 4K.

I'm not familiar with Rakuten - other than knowing they took over play.com (which used to be a great site for buying DVDs and Blu-rays). I've just looked on their website - they seem to be all over UHD (no mention of HDR), but I guess they XBOX app doesn't support yet?

There are so many streaming services, devices and eco-systems now - it's becoming a real problem to get a consistent experience. I have an Amazon TV device that I use almost exclusively for streaming NetFlix in my home cinema (I use a projector) - the Amazon TV device supports Dolby Atmos, but NetFlix don't support Dolby Atmos on the Amazon TV device. So annoying.

NetFlix on the XBOX One X *does* support Dolby Atmos, but the XBOX One X is the living room.
First world problems, I know, but still a pain getting everything to play nice... and it's only going to get worse as the home entertainment market becomes even more fragmented :-(

James.

According to Johnny Archer on Twitter, MS "mis spoke " reference the DV on discs and have now clammed up. Defo coming to streaming services though.

That's a pity. You never know though, what they'll bring out in the future.

Hopefully Rakuten gets an update also, even to just 4K would be nice, I have a couple films that where on offer for a quid which also got updated for free to 4K.

There's no need for a Rakuten Update because the TV app does Dolby Vision. The TV Netflix app does Dolby Vision. The only thing that doesn't yet do Dolby Vision is the Blu-ray player. So once the Xbox One S gets Dolby Vision, I'll be good to go.

There's no need for a Rakuten Update because the TV app does Dolby Vision. The TV Netflix app does Dolby Vision. The only thing that doesn't yet do Dolby Vision is the Blu-ray player. So once the Xbox One S gets Dolby Vision, I'll be good to go.

My TV app doesn't do anything better than 1080p annoyingly, and being it's a Panasonic it probably won't get updated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom