Xbox One S All-Digital Edtion

I wonder if this is them testing the water for a disc-less next gen console. Depending on how well this does might make their mind up in doing one or not.

Be good to see how much they ask for it though (if its true).

I wonder if this is them testing the water for a disc-less next gen console. Depending on how well this does might make their mind up in doing one or not.

Be good to see how much they ask for it though (if its true).

Yep need to see the Price of this. Might pick one up if it's priced right.

If it sells well I reckon we might get Next Gen Versions and Xbox One X Digital Only also.

Yep need to see the Price of this. Might pick one up if it's priced right.

If it sells well I reckon we might get Next Gen Versions and Xbox One X Digital Only also.

Yeah, it's a smart move imo. Gets a new model out at a low price point. I'd be interested in it as a second xbox for upstairs if the price is right.

Coincidence that this is leaked while Foreign Digital Purchases are working again.......

IrALlKu.gif

Problem I have with this is that games through the MS store are generally more expensive than buying the physical media - so that'll need to change

Wouldn't mind an all digital console next gen, I haven't purchased a single disc for my Xbox X since it launched and not played any movies in it due to owning a standalone.

Problem I have with this is that games through the MS store are generally more expensive than buying the physical media - so that'll need to change

So you will want one with a Disc Drive then and this won't be for you.

Most of the time my Digital Purchases are cheaper than Physical, Cheap Credit, CDkeys, Game Sales, Game Sharing and Bing Rewards all make Digital Games very affordable.

If you buy disc and sell on then this won't be a console for you.

So you will want one with a Disc Drive then and this won't be for you.

Most of the time my Digital Purchases are cheaper than Physical, Cheap Credit, CDkeys, Game Sales, Game Sharing and Bing Rewards all make Digital Games very affordable.

If you buy disc and sell on then this won't be a console for you.

Yeah, thanks for mansplaning that.

I already have an X, so wouldn't need this anyway. But my point was that in the MS store, which the vast majority of regular users will use, the games are more expensive

Yeah, thanks for mansplaning that.

I already have an X, so wouldn't need this anyway. But my point was that in the MS store, which the vast majority of regular users will use, the games are more expensive

mansplaning....what ?

This console will be aimed at People that will buy Digital Only and probably want a 2nd console. Users that only buy digital and know about the likes of Cdkeys, gamesharing and cheap credit or rely on sales. This won't be aimed at your average Xbox user.

Simply put, I don't think this is aimed at the Joe Bloggs who will always be using disc and trading in etc. Its niche (although the digital only niche is getting bigger).

MS will be testing how niche it is. It will also be a good way to get more game pass users too. Get that sub and you'll be golden for digital games for a good while!

I'm surprised it was 2 hours before someone pointed out that Digital Games are more expensive. EA Access and Gamespass make this a great sale for people wanting to jump in or want a 2nd console.

If this console is cheap enough I think it'd appeal to the likes of me (Only have a PS4) who want to play games through EA Access or Xbox Gamepass

I'm surprised it was 2 hours before someone pointed out that Digital Games are more expensive.

Whilst I don't disagree with anything you say, Tones - and in particular that this won't be for everyone - there's no getting around that this is the elephant in the room that would put a lot of people (including me) off it.

We all know you're avowedly pro-digital. I started off this generation just as avowedly sceptical but concede that the vast majority of games I play now are digital. There are however games that I wouldn't play if they weren't on disc as they don't seem to get reduced, and even when they do it's to nowhere near disc price.

I would wholeheartedly embrace digital if the pricing model followed the likes of Steam and didn't artificially prop up high prices.

Given how little margin there is in hardware, it's not hard to see why MS is pushing this as part of its Game Pass and games-as-a-service model. We've moved considerably towards that becoming accepted even since the X1 launched - but we're still a long way from it being the norm.

Interesting to note the suggestion that MS will be planning a "disc-to-digital" programme where players will be able to take their discs to any participating retailer and swap their disc for a digital copy of the game.

Aren't MS rumoured to be launching two SKU's next gen - a high powered 499 version and a lower powered 299 version with only the expensive one having a disc drive?

Only rumours - but they seem reasonable and in line with MS' thinking.

For gaming I'm happy for a disc-less console but I also use my console for other things like watching films and having a the 4K Blu-ray drive is a very nice feature (means I have 1 device instead of 2).

I know this is the current console but I hope they don't remove it on future console generations.

Interesting to note the suggestion that MS will be planning a "disc-to-digital" programme where players will be able to take their discs to any participating retailer and swap their disc for a digital copy of the game.

They need to open up the digital market to more retailers, let them start selling codes rather than discs. Still no good for the folks that like to play and sell on/trade etc but hopefully a more free digital marketplace with competition could see codes being sold fall more in line with disc prices.

Think that needs to happen before they'll ever see the general public truly embrace digital only.

They need to open up the digital market to more retailers, let them start selling codes rather than discs. Still no good for the folks that like to play and sell on/trade etc but hopefully a more free digital marketplace with competition could see codes being sold fall more in line with disc prices.

Think that needs to happen before they'll ever see the general public truly embrace digital only.

Disagree - nobody seems to mind netflix' monopoly...

Even with "code" competition it won't mimic the retail market in the UK where large supermarkets are competing and often using games as loss leaders for strategic reasons.

Digital purchases are already competitive when you take into account gamesharing, and sub discounts like EA access and gold.

But what they need to do is make the digital purchase more compelling - so free trials - (say 10 hours) whereby you purchase the game but if after 10 hours you don't want to keep it you can refund no questions asked via a click of a button.

Yeah, PC gaming has been digital only for years. Fortunately there a loads of sellers so there's a market there.

The good thing about this is that if you've no interest in paying digital prices or can't do without the disc drive, then move along. Theres nothing to see. Just like the X1X is, its aimed at the niche and I reckon Microsoft know what they're doing, they'll know all the user numbers and digital attach rates of all its users to think its even worth doing.

Going digital only can be cheap if you're willing to gameshare even if its within the same household you've saved money. Can also hold of buying games day one too. Rather than complain aboiut a broken mess and no refund on digital. Just hold off. Get yourself a fixed game and a cheaper game too. :)

I personally wish the whole next gen was digital only but can understand i'm in a minority as the average person likes to play and trade for savings. I just like to play what I want, when I want and without having to rush to try get as much cash back as possible too.

For me, this whole thing will only work if the cost to get the console is what we would expect it to be without a 4K disc drive in there and all the parts that may need. If it doesn't then unless its really a small form factor version (much smaller), then I'm not sure it would do well.

Disagree - nobody seems to mind netflix' monopoly...

Even with "code" competition it won't mimic the retail market in the UK where large supermarkets are competing and often using games as loss leaders for strategic reasons.

Digital purchases are already competitive when you take into account gamesharing, and sub discounts like EA access and gold.

But what they need to do is make the digital purchase more compelling - so free trials - (say 10 hours) whereby you purchase the game but if after 10 hours you don't want to keep it you can refund no questions asked via a click of a button.

Netflix has far more in common with gamepass rather than the buying to own model (as much as you ever 'own' a digital copy)

I agree that if the future was gamepass and they threw everything behind that so you were subscribing rather than buying individual titles then that would make it easier for people to swallow. Not quite there yet though, not for the coming generation of consoles. Could be surprised though and they may even go that route but you'd need the backing of pretty much every major publisher so as to not put you at a disadvantage.

Still think Joe Bloggs, mum and dad etc at least for the next few years will still appreciate the retail option even if it were for a code. Digital can be competitive under certain circumstances as you point out but apart from the more dedicated followers such as ourselves, how many know about gamesharing for example. When you compare like for like going strictly off new release prices then you see say average £45 for a disc or £55-60 for digital. Plenty still not ready to accept that I would imagine. I'm all digital for the very reasons you mention above, I'm thinking about the more general reaction.

More than likely one of the reasons that MS would do this now, test the waters and see how well it goes down. Will it be embraced or do they still need an alternate option.

Definitely need to make digital more compelling, make it easier. Even go back to the original Xbox One vision, buy a copy but you can share it with your family/household then you really are getting value for money. The gamesharing we enjoy now is really a legacy of that failed idea in the first place. Maybe it's time to rekindle that idea, may have sunk like a stone in 2013 but could well be ready for a more receptive audience now we are more used to a digital landscape. Netflix, Prime, Xbox, Gamepass, the list goes on.

If consoles go all digital I will stop buying them and move to pc. May add only a PlayStation for exclusives, but to be honest I will mostly go retro. I have little interest in an all digital future.

i can see this as a trial for next gen and next gen the cheaper of the two xboxs being disc less.

theres alot to be said for being the cheapest next gen console

Gamepass is going to be key for Microsofts future.

The price may rise slowly over time (especially as I can see the price of LIVE sub being merged into this for those not on an Xbox) but I think the plan is for every game on the service to have an option to download or stream.

I'm interested in this but I'm going to hold out past E3. I think there they will announce Gamepass' future and it going on Nintendo switch and other devices. Also the next gen consoles are looking to be shown off a little.

I don't want to buy an All Digital S but then it won't be able to stream next gen games onto it

For gaming I'm happy for a disc-less console but I also use my console for other things like watching films and having a the 4K Blu-ray drive is a very nice feature (means I have 1 device instead of 2).

I know this is the current console but I hope they don't remove it on future console generations.
This is how I use my Xbox. I’ve not bought a game on disc this generation, and game sharing has been great between me and my daughter.

I do however use my Xbox as my primary Blu Ray player, and like to watch big movies on 4K Blu Ray. So for me, I hope the top end next gen SKU will have a drive, but can totally see the sense in a cheaper, disc less model for some.

This seems a good way to test the water, especially if the price is right.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom