Xbox one s and elgato hd60s

Jayc1976

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some info regarding the elgato hd60s. My son wants to do videos of him and his friends playing fortnite and also live streaming on YouTube. We have a pc but the specs are slightly off what elgato state are the minimum. We have usb 3.0 which is required. Gtx 750ti, i53470 8gb ram. They state an i5 4xxx or above. Would our pc encounter many problems? Also what other equipment would be required for example capturing his and his party voice chat. He uses a tb stealth 600 headset would he need an external microphone for the pc to live stream & create videos. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Has he tried any of the options already available on the One S ?
You can Stream via Twitch or Mixer with Voice Chat and can keep the Video's and download them.
The other option is to plug in a Ext HDD and record to that, I am sure you can record upto an Hour on an External and then edit via the PC if needed.

Might be worth taking a look at those options before making a purchase.
The Elgato will of course give the best Quality wise but the On Board options for the Xbox are pretty good. I'm sure you can stream at 1080p on Mixer and keep the streams but it's been a while since I last did it.

Thanks for the reply. My son aged 11 is autistic and wants to sometimes stream on youtube. This is his new obsession. We've tried via the xbox and xbox app on pc but the delay was causing frustration for him. If we purchase the elgato hd60s I think this would resolve the delay. With the minimum specs being an i5 4xxx and us having an i53470 I'm hoping issues would be minimum. Next year I'm hoping to upgrade a better pc for him but at the minute it's not financially viable so hoping the elgato does the trick my concern isn't the recording of video but the streaming from xbox to YouTube via the elgato how much workload goes into the specs of the pc?

Not sure on the Min Specs in all honesty.
Is it worth looking at a previous model of Elgato that does the Game Streaming also ?

I would still suggest seeing if wants to give Mixer Streaming a go though, very user friendly and easy to use with some nice features.

Hey, sorry for the tardy reply, unfortunately I'm not too down with the CPU or GPU to know if they'd hit any issues, my old rig used an i7 3770 + 560ti which struggled with 1080/60 output, but chewed through rendering stuff with ease. Looking at the specs below for the two processors they look fairly similar, but some sites show a bit of an advantage with the 3770 -

I'm not enough of a PC dude to be able to give more real-life experience of these however.

1573466249499.png

In my experience with Elgato you're paying a bit of a premium for the brand, about 50% more than actually required in some cases, up to eye-watering crazy increases for their other products.
I started with an Elgato, wish I hadn't bothered and gone straight for the AVerMedia range, if you want to look at 1080/60 as the top end the Live Gamer Mini GC311 is the perfect external go-to capture card. If you want to give room to jump up to 4k you would be best going for the Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus - GC513 - this would be my recommendation for the slight increase in costs to future-proofing compared to the GC311.

Generally speaking streaming at 720/60 looks great, or 1080/30 too, assuming the bitrate output is high enough, but you might need to tweak some things in order to make other components of the stream look good.

There's a balance between your output bitrate, your resolution and frame rate, and the capacity of the PC to handle it all, purely going on the comparisons with my old i7 CPU I would imagine you'd struggle a touch getting decent looking 1080/60 gameplay, but 720/60 should be handled with ease, or 1080/30 should be handled with ease too. Playing at 30fps is far more jarring and tiring on the eyes than watching a stream at 30fps so don't worry too much about that, I see too many people pushing 1080/60 with a low bitrate output so the content looks gash, they'd be much better placed to drop to 1080/30 or to double their bitrate.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm looking at getting my son something simple to use and create what he needs. I've only looked at the elgato but will look at others you mention. For the time being and dependant on how long his interest in it carries on 720p ( would 900p 60fps be achievable) would be ok until we can upgrade our current pc. He wants to stream/create videos from xbox to YouTube capturing his and friends voice chat. With the elgato am I right in saying he will need an external Mic from the pc to capture his voice and for friends set output on the Xbox to both headset and speakers(tv)

900/60 possibly, it wasn't something I ever checked to be honest. In theory it should lessen the load but it's also making the CPU process more information to change it from one size to another.

If you plump for the AVerMedia kit I'm pretty sure you can just plug in an external HDD and get it to record directly there at 1080/60, not sure if it's possible to record directly while you stream, but kind of have a feeling you can... Just checked and no, you can record directly to a memory card if you get the GC513 and use an external power source, could be handy for mobile games if he's not wanting to full PC setup on the go and just wants to capture some quick gameplay.

It's worth trying 720/60 and seeing how it goes on the PC utilisation, if it's all fine there then bump it up, just bear in mind that you want to increase you bitrate too.

Don't know if he ever plays Rocket League but that's a great game to see if you've got high enough bandwidth for streaming, if you're streaming 1080/60 at less than 7.5k bitrate it's going to look a little ropey over the grass areas, much like watching the football on a less than stellar stream, the grass is always the first thing to chunk.

Having bought the elgato hd60s for my son we have tried a few test streams at 720/60 which is working fine and also picking up his voice via a snowball Mic. However we cannot work out how to get his party chat on live streaming I have set the xbox to headset and speakers but still nothing. I've tried with obs also. Does anyone have a complete settings guide I could follow to actually get party chat on live streams? Looked on various YouTube videos and I'm still non the wiser. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom