Question Xbox one S vs X, is there a difference for 4k bluray playback?

Eightshot

Novice Member
Reaction score
St Helens, between liverpool and manchester.
I've had to upgrade a load of my hardware and am swapping teams from HDR10+ to Dolby Vision. I need a new 4k bluray player so was thinking Xbox one S or X as they have been recommended elsewhere. I won't be using it much (if at all) for gaming so is there any difference in performance purely for the 4k bluray playback? Obviously there is a fair differance in the price so if they are identical choice is made :)

Appreciate any help that can be offered.

Incase it makes any difference, my new kit is:
LG C9 65"
Onkyo txnr696
Tannoy 5.1 speakers

I’ve had both and they’re identical for 4K disc playback in my experience.

I’m happy with my Xbox One X for playing discs but I imagine some in this forum would steer you more towards a dedicated player such as the Panasonic UB820.

I’ve had both and they’re identical for 4K disc playback in my experience.

I’m happy with my Xbox One X for playing discs but I imagine some in this forum would steer you more towards a dedicated player such as the Panasonic UB820.

Really appreciate the help dannius, Ill go for the cheaper option then assuming someone here doesn't talk me into a dedicated player.

I've seen a few reviews (tha_VillaMan and others) who have compared the XBox consoles to the dedicated players like the Sony UBP-X800M2, I have to be honest i couldn't see much of a difference in the output at all. I mean it was there but it was insignificant. Is there a jump in performance I'm not seeing?

My current (being replaced) bluray player is the Panasonic DP-UB420 and i have to admit, i'm not impressed with its responsiveness. Put me off Panasonic players a bit.

No problem mate. :smashin:

I can’t personally comment on the quality of a dedicated player vs an Xbox as I’ve only used the Xbox for 4K disc playback, but I’m perfectly happy with what I see. I’ve had no disc compatibility issues either, I know some experienced that a while back but I think that was ironed out.

I had the Xbox one first, then quickly ended up buying an Oppo for my UHD and other discs. In those days I was missing out on Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, but most importantly it is the controls. I find the controls on the Xbox slow and sluggish, just doesn't integrate that well. Just about acceptable to me in a bedroom but not in the main viewing area to be used by the whole of the family.

I did since upgrade to an Xbox X, for the games, but never even bother attempting to play discs on it as the experience and compatibility of my Oppo is just so good.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom