Question Xbox One X Audio settings - stereo uncompressed or bitstream

JEvans16

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, apologies I'm not particularly well versed in regards to stereo uncompressed and bitstream.

My setup is Xbox one x > LG 4k TV > Yamaha YAS-207 Soundbar. All via HDMI (with arc).

My audio settings are: HDMI bitstream and optical bitstream, then DTS. This works fine when playing games and watching Sky on Sky app.

However last night I was watching Angel Has Fallen (using the xbox as my blu ray player) and the sound kept dropping in and out. I tried playing with the settings a bit: changing DTS to Dolby Digital, and changing bitstream to stereo uncompressed.

It seemed to work better at stereo uncompressed > DTS although I did notice some drop in sound but not as much as before.

Just wondering what's the best audio set up? My Soundbar supports 4k and dolby digital and DTS. I'm also wondering if my soundbar needs an update, which I'll do/check anyway.

Thanks in advance.

If the option is stereo uncompressed or lossy stereo DD/DTS then I would go with the uncompressed option.

Thanks for the response. Sorry, what does lossy DD/DTS mean?

If using stereo uncompressed, am I correct in assuming that my soundbar will play in DD or DTS depending on the game/Blu ray? I obviously want to do whichever will give me the best sound/surround sound (effect).

Thanks

Thanks for the response. Sorry, what does lossy DD/DTS mean?

If using stereo uncompressed, am I correct in assuming that my soundbar will play in DD or DTS depending on the game/Blu ray? I obviously want to do whichever will give me the best sound/surround sound (effect).

Thanks

If you have set the system to Stereo Uncompressed then all audio is internally converted to lossless PCM and that is what your soundbar will receive.

When you set it to Bitstream and select either DD or DTS then the Xbox will internally convert all audio to either of those formats and send that to the soundbar but these are in a lossy format (plenty of explanations online regarding the difference between lossy and lossless audio)

If you want Blu-rays to output their native audio without any converting then enable the 'Let my receiver do the decoding' option.

Sorry for the 20 questions, but is it better to let the blu rays output their native audio?

Would changing my set up make any difference i.e. Connecting my xbox directly to the Soundbar (via hdmi) rather than directly to the TV? I assume with my TV and Soundbar supporting arc, I won't lose video quality?

Picture quality won't be affected but it could make a difference to the audio depending on what audio formats your soundbar can handle.

Personally I would set the system to Stereo Uncompressed as this will ensure audio for games is of the highest quality and I would try enabling the 'Let your receiver do the decoding' option and see how things fair, if you get drop outs still then disable it and have everything sent as 2.0 PCM.

Personally I would set the system to Stereo Uncompressed as this will ensure audio for games is of the highest quality and I would try enabling the 'Let your receiver do the decoding' option and see how things fair, if you get drop outs still then disable it and have everything sent as 2.0 PCM.
Hi,
I am using hdmi into a cheap Denon avr-x540bt running 5.1 kef eggs and the audio output options for hdmi from the xbox one x are stereo uncompressed, 5.1 uncompressed and 7.1 uncompressed.
Is it still best to use stereo uncompressed and let the Denon do the decoding or should I use the 5.1 uncompressed?

Tia

Hi,
I am using hdmi into a cheap Denon avr-x540bt running 5.1 kef eggs and the audio output options for hdmi from the xbox one x are stereo uncompressed, 5.1 uncompressed and 7.1 uncompressed.
Is it still best to use stereo uncompressed and let the Denon do the decoding or should I use the 5.1 uncompressed?

Tia

5.1 as it will be proper surround sound, if you send stereo then your receiver will have to fake the 5.1 from the 2.0 audio.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom