Xbox Series S (Lockhart)

Just watched an interview with the developer of The Falconeer.
1800p@60fps on Series S, with a 120fps mode as well.
Thinks the S is "super impressive" :)

Ej5DDRUXYAYjGPx.jpg

Xbox one X is also 1800p@60fps.

Last edited:

View attachment 1378953

Indeed. This game is CPU heavy and whilst the One X can match the Series S at 60FPS it cannot do 120FPS like the Series S. Game looks like a work of art too.

Indeed. This game is CPU heavy and whilst the One X can match the Series S at 60FPS it cannot do 120FPS like the Series S. Game looks like a work of art too.

Yeah the game's art style looks good and the game gave me classic Panzer Dragoon vibes....

Think this one could surprise people and be a bit of a gem.

View attachment 1378953

Xbox one X is also 1800p@60fps.

This is part of the reason I'm so torn on what to get. This game seems fairly easy on hardware if the One X is still able to push 60fps, right?

I own a One X with an SSD installed (I know it's not as fast as the NVME even still), but my 1440p monitor only does 75Hz. So, the 1800p/120FPS of the Series X seems largely wasted on my display.

If series S and One X will be able to push 60fps ( I didn't think One X could push 60fps on most titles with that Jaguar CPU) I may either just keep the One X for the disc drive or sell it for $250 and pick up an S for $50. Although, losing the disc drive is kind of an issue for me.

This is part of the reason I'm so torn on what to get. This game seems fairly easy on hardware if the One X is still able to push 60fps, right?

I own a One X with an SSD installed (I know it's not as fast as the NVME even still), but my 1440p monitor only does 75Hz. So, the 1800p/120FPS of the Series X seems largely wasted on my display.

If series S and One X will be able to push 60fps ( I didn't think One X could push 60fps on most titles with that Jaguar CPU) I may either just keep the One X for the disc drive or sell it for $250 and pick up an S for $50. Although, losing the disc drive is kind of an issue for me.

It might target 60fps but that is very different to actually locking to 60fps, so many games offer such a variable experience it gets downright unplayable (my friend gave up on the new Ori at launch due to how often it crashed down into the 40fps region)

Yeah, very true I went and watched some YouTube videos and it seems most games on the One X can't hold or even touch 60fps. A lot can't even hold 30 reliably.

It seems like in large part though it's because the games are being rendered at 4K. Like COD: Warzone. It runs MUCH better on the PS4 Pro than it does on the One X because they target a slightly lower resolution.

It seems really counter productive to me to force 4k at the expense of playability. Is there any clarification on developers targeting 1440p as an actual render resolution on this new generation? I definitely think you should be able to force your Xbox console to run (and actually render at that res for better fps) at the 3 major resolutions (1080/1440/4k). It seems like it would really extend the longevity of systems too as the hardware gets older and can't push the new games as fast at the higher settings.

I remember reading in the past issues with this. People with 1440p monitors like me were complaining because consoles would detect 1080p or 4k displays, but nothing in between. PS4 Pro threads I've looked up actually seem to say that it looks worse on 1440P monitors than on 1080p monitors, because the PS4 see's no 4k option and just renders it at 1080p and upscales it to 1440p.

If you are bothered about frame rates then the Series S is streets ahead of One X. As shown by the fact it can run the falconer at 120FPS. But the CPU is orders of magnitude better.

I can understand why Xbox are heavily promoting the Series X, but it would be nice to get to see some more stuff running on the S for comparison.

We have still seen more games running on the S than the X.

I must have missed that. A bunch of Xbox Series X previews came out yesterday.

They showed loads of games on the series S in the Series S promo video...Every game in it was running on an S.

Frankly the way MS have chosen to market games running on their consoles (or not market it) is very odd. Gears 5 embargo lifted yesterday but because the whole console preview embargo lifted at the same time we've barely seen any Gears 5 coverage. The Series S gameplay is in an 8 minute video about the Series S. Why not have those as separate vids?

Nice little Series X and S comparison from Xbox On that some might find useful:

I'm surprised they still haven't confirmed the actual hard drive space available on the Series S, console is 2 weeks away from launching and this should have been confirmed by now.

I'm curious if the space turns out to be something like 330gb and some of the first games like COD may end up taking 100-200gb (fingers crossed that isn't the case).

well a 500GB xbox one S leaves you with 365GB so surly it will be something similar

I expect the COD download might be smaller too if you can avoid the 4K textures on the S. I think an external drive would be essential though, to switch games to and from the internal storage. At least until the price of official storage expansions reduce.

Yeah I reckon about 360gb of usable space but would not be surprised games are smaller than current sizes. A cheap Ext HDD would be a good solution. The internal will easily hold a fair few games and will take at most 10 mins to move a game across.

If it can hold 4 or 5 GP games at a time with quick resume/switching that’ll do me and make a great little games console for the price IMHO.

I have 2 Series S' on pre-order, one for my Dad (in anticipation of Flight Sim 2020 coming to the platform) and one for myself, but I am not sure if I will keep my pre-order. I got excited by the Bethesda purchase and jumped on the bandwagon at the time, thinking the Series S plus GamePass would be a winner, but not so sure now as there are only a few games included that I haven't played and want to, but I could buy them on sale/used for much less than a GamePass over a year.

I currently have a PS4 and was initially interested in a PS5, but none of the launch titles for either platform have me excited. Honestly tempted to wait a year or so and see what the landscape looks like then.

Just cancelled my S pre-order. I may have to wait, but I think an X will be better.
I was only being a cheap arse anyway....

I can't believe the size of the S ! I'm seriously impressed

Just cancelled my S pre-order. I may have to wait, but I think an X will be better.
I was only being a cheap arse anyway....
Just done the same

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom