Xbox Series X

If i cant get this thing in the tv unit it will have to sit out in the middle of the floor no way the mrs is having that. I will either have to go ps5 or wait for a design revision that makes it smaller

If i cant get this thing in the tv unit it will have to sit out in the middle of the floor no way the mrs is having that. I will either have to go ps5 or wait for a design revision that makes it smaller
Seeing the PS5 is something I'm quite nervous about, it seems to be generally believed the series X is designed for cool and quiet running, nobody knows for sure of course but that seems to be the thinking behind the PC type tower design. So are Sony going to go with a similar design philosophy or take a more traditional approach, I'm not saying Sony should follow MS but I hope the PS5 is designed around its cooling needs without been overly noisy.

As you've already said the series X won't fit in your unit, I think your decision has been made for you.

From the size predictions it looks like the Xbox Series X (XSX) will be around twice the volume of the Xbox One X. I've read a lot of discussion on hardware on other forums and they were very dubious of a console having a 12TF GPU due to the power from the wall needed for it and the heat that it would put out. From what Phil has said in interviews they set the target specs first and then went to the hardware lot and said 'design a console that can deal with these specs'. If this is the design they came up with it meant they couldn't do it in a standard console form. The same team managed a major feat of engineering in the Xbox One X, all that power in a box that small and to be near silent as well.

If they couldn't do it for the Series X then that should tell you something about the specs. The One X was on a 14nm process as well, the Series X will be on at least a 7nm process and possibly a 7nm+ process (if the GPU is RDNA 2.0 which it's looking like it is) so that smaller process gives you better power efficiency allowing you to increase the GPU size, but still they couldn't do it in a standard console form factor.

I'm actually really excited by what this change in form factor means. I think consoles will be pushing PC again for the first time in a long time (they won't overtake PC, but they'll be a lot closer than they have been for a long long time). I think MS went all out to keep the power crown. Question now is did Sony anticipate this and match or go one further. Interesting times, but for us it means better console hardware!

I'll struggle to fit the console in as well, but I'll damn well find a way!

I love the design. Looks like a fridge though and I hope it doesn’t come with a free boris Johnson. I missed this generation of Xbox and jumped to PC. It’s spec may just make me jump back again on release. Strangely I’ve always thought them more solidly built than PlayStations

You're forgetting the other option.....bin off the Mrs instead 👍😂

Design wise, its not going to fit in my AV Unit which means itll need to sit out and be visible, which is less than ideal. The design itself doesnt appeal to me, I could have picked up a shoe box and whacked an X on it in 5 mins, yet this thing has been in the works for a couple of years....

Name, again doesnt appeal, if the best you can do is "series" then you need to sack someone and get someone else in. PS2,3,4,5 roll easily off the tongue, Xbox Series X doesnt really have the same snappyness...

Having said all that....I've already budgeted £600 for it, and started putting money away.

But...........

Its all about the games, it needs to have some huge killer titles and not just Halo number 75 and other random generic crap that have been done to death.

Design wise, its not going to fit in my AV Unit which means itll need to sit out and be visible, which is less than ideal. The design itself doesnt appeal to me, I could have picked up a shoe box and whacked an X on it in 5 mins, yet this thing has been in the works for a couple of years....

Name, again doesnt appeal, if the best you can do is "series" then you need to sack someone and get someone else in. PS2,3,4,5 roll easily off the tongue, Xbox Series X doesnt really have the same snappyness...

Having said all that....I've already budgeted £600 for it, and started putting money away.

But...........

Its all about the games, it needs to have some huge killer titles and not just Halo number 75 and other random generic crap that have been done to death.

You talk like the design aspect was solely on the external aesthetic and completely disregard what they are trying to achieve within the unit itself, with regards to significant hardware capability, cooling, noise reduction etc. To simplify it as you have is just ridiculous.

As for the name, why do people get so worked up over it?? Anyway it's pretty clear why Micrososft have referenced the unit in series terms, because they will have alternative options. With various options within the same retail space having such a reference will make things far clearer to understand to those less clued up. AMD and Nvidia GPU's have always been referenced in varying "Series" to differentiate options and power levels, this will be no different.

Anyway, when it comes to names...Sony aren't the most innovative are they. But equally, why should they change when it works for them? Ultimately the name is Playstation, the number or name that follows could be referred to as it's series if you want as it just differentiates one from another. It's not really any different...it's just Playstation in it's latest form, as is the Xbox. The difference with Xbox is that it's strongly expected MS will launch from day one with different options, which has never been done before, hence there needs to be a simplified format.

On the games front, sure Sony had more top exclusives this gen, something MS are clearly looking to address with many top studio acquisitions, who have then increased their headcount significantly with many recruiting some top figures in the industry who were leads or key players with some of the biggest games this gen. That said, as great as exclusives may be, over the lifetime use of any console they probably account for such a negligible fraction of game time on the system, especially with most being short SP campaign focused games, that I'm always more interested in what system will play the multiplatform titles best as they will be the dominant games on any system.

You talk like the design aspect was solely on the external aesthetic and completely disregard what they are trying to achieve within the unit itself, with regards to significant hardware capability, cooling, noise reduction etc. To simplify it as you have is just ridiculous.

You seem to be forgetting, everything I said was opinion based on my current AV unit and setup (others have similarly said the same thing). Never said "this design is shit" I said it wouldnt work for me which was less than ideal. Which is 100% factual. It matters naught to me if the design was a sphere on gold wheels, if it aint going to fit in my unit, its less than ideal no matter how good the internal setup is.

As for the name, why do people get so worked up over it?? Anyway it's pretty clear why Micrososft have referenced the unit in series terms, because they will have alternative options. With various options within the same retail space having such a reference will make things far clearer to understand to those less clued up. AMD and Nvidia GPU's have always been referenced in varying "Series" to differentiate options and power levels, this will be no different.

Names need to stick, its how marketing and such works. People go what do you want for christmas, PS1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc..easy to remember, rolls off the tongue, no dubiaty. Now we have Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X...not exactly the same. Hence my point.

Anyway, when it comes to names...Sony aren't the most innovative are they. But equally, why should they change when it works for them? Ultimately the name is Playstation, the number or name that follows could be referred to as it's series if you want as it just differentiates one from another. It's not really any different...it's just Playstation in it's latest form, as is the Xbox. The difference with Xbox is that it's strongly expected MS will launch from day one with different options, which has never been done before, hence there needs to be a simplified format.

Its not about being innovative, its about making something that the consumer will remember, easily describe to the bread winner, easy to rememer etc. I personally dont think MS have a good naming system, its convoluted, and likely confusing to some.

again though, this is my opinion. Marketing works when the moniker or full name easily sticks in somones head, where you dont need to go...what was it again, which one is it....

I think some people are forgetting that the Xbox one, Xbox s and Xbox x will be phased out pretty quickly so the only options available online and the high street will be the Xbox series c , s and X not very difficult to understand 👍

I quite like the understated look of the recent Xbox's. They've looked more like high end AV gear to me than previous consoles that can get a bit jazzy looking. This to me is meant to melt away into a modern AV setup, it could be a sub or if on its side an AV amp but overall I'm less bothered by what the console itself looks like and am more interested in the images it can throw up to the TV :thumbsup:

Sony get quoted as having all these games but if you look at the history they didn't start the generation with a ton of exclusives either. For the first couple of years they benefited from making the better third party alliances, Destiny, Call of Duty etc. Over the last couple of years they've smashed it with the exclusives and have finished extremely strong and people forget about the first couple of years. Bloodborne was probably the turning point for Sony and their exclusives and that came out 2015. Microsofts approach isn't great, they tend to drop the old gen and get all their developers working towards the next gen. They did it with the 360 as well. The last couple of years there were very few exclusives, pretty much only third party games. The PS3 however was putting out its strongest games (Last of Us etc.).

Sony's approach is probably better going into a new gen as people with have the recent memory of great games which gives good will to the platform. Hopefully it'll be a bit different this time round. Previously MS just didn't have the number of in-house developers to do what Sony did. With the acquisitions they've made recently though they're closer to Sony in the number of developers so should be able to do a better job.

Yep for me Xbox One had the best lineup and best games coming soon after release.
Was not fussed on the Power divide and more than happy playing Ryse, Sunset OD and Titanfall on my Xbox One.

I will be going Series X without question. Games Pass and my whole Digital Library available on Day 1 yes please !
Halo Infinite and a new Forza Horizon will do me.

Hopefully the Studios come out with some crackers also.

Just hope MS haven't screwed up with the Series X and made it so it does not fit in most AV Units. MS do like to screw up a launch...

I think some people are forgetting that the Xbox one, Xbox s and Xbox x will be phased out pretty quickly so the only options available online and the high street will be the Xbox series c , s and X not very difficult to understand 👍
Also whilst some initial confusion may exist over the name, there won't be any confusion over the prices, Xbox One X at 199 by holiday 2020 and series X 400-500, people should know what they're buying. Maybe.

Not that quickly as to not cause any confusion though.

For the past 5-6 years my daughter gives me her Christmas list via screenshots of everything she wants.... Purely so I don't get the wrong stuff. I would imagine other kids do the same.. "they're you go mum/dad here's the screenshot of the XBOX series X" .

Because there wont be less options at the start, hence my post.
I would have though with still a year to go they'll have even more discounts on the current old stock to clear them.

I dont think they are going to be phased out pretty quickly as Microsoft are developing the games to be cross gen so they work on all consoles xbox one, xbox one s, xbox one X and xbox series X

correct me if im wrong but ive never heard Microsoft quote a 12tf GPU ive only heard them say twice as powerful as xbox one X. and with the different architecture on the series x things can be twice as powerful without being twice the teraflops.

Didnt digital foundry do something on this subject and they estimated a 9tf GPU on the new architecture would be twice as powerful as the xbox one x GPU due to the new architecture being alot more efficient

Last edited:
I dont think they are going to be phased out pretty quickly as Microsoft are developing the games to be cross gen so they work on all consoles xbox one, xbox one s, xbox one X and xbox series X
I meant you won't see the Xbox one, Xbox one s and Xbox one X in the shops.

I think Microsoft is adopting a pc like approach where the one s/x will be the low/mid tier whilst the series x will be high tier. Similar to low/med/high spec pcs.

correct me if im wrong but ive never heard Microsoft quote a 12tf GPU ive only heard them say twice as powerful as xbox one X. and with the different architecture on the series x things can be twice as powerful without being twice the teraflops.

Didnt digital foundry do something on this subject and they estimated a 9tf GPU on the new architecture would be twice as powerful as the xbox one x GPU due to the new architecture being alot more efficient
They've said 4X the processing power

Its industrial design enables us to deliver four times the processing power of Xbox One X in the most quiet and efficient way

I meant you won't see the Xbox one, Xbox one s and Xbox one X in the shops.
They didnt stop making the xbox 360 until april 2016 let alone selling off the consoles they had made. so i would expect the xbox one consoles to available for a few more years after the launch of the xbox series X

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom