Xbox Series X

Microsoft need to concentrate on build quality. Past consoles have been plagued with hardware issues.

Let's see how they market this. I remember when the Xbox One was first unveiled and it was marketed as the "entertainment centre of your home." I remember thinking it's gonna be a jack of all trades, controlling your skytv and whatever else, but a mediocre games console. Sony focused on the gaming aspect only. The rest is history.

Microsoft need to concentrate on build quality. Past consoles have been plagued with hardware issues.

Let's see how they market this. I remember when the Xbox One was first unveiled and it was marketed as the "entertainment centre of your home." I remember thinking it's gonna be a jack of all trades, controlling your skytv and whatever else, but a mediocre games console. Sony focused on the gaming aspect only. The rest is history.
All that’s long in the past, during Donn Mattrick’s tenure, since Phil took over they’ve been laser focused on games and game services giving us the gamer more options for how and where we consume our games. A MS that is on this track is what we want and I hope we’re about to reap the rewards with it all coming together in a new gen designed with all this in mind.

yes interesting agree they should have given it a distinct name rather than series

what console do you want an xbox series

I love the design. I mean the previous xbox is just a black box too. This one at least looks like its going to have really good cooling and i'd imagine pretty powerfull going by the size.

yes interesting agree they should have given it a distinct name rather than series

what console do you want an xbox series

A console that has an attractive and sexy name that makes me want to buy it, like for example, Playstation.

Xbox Series X sounds like a name for a Body Spray Gel for Gorillas.

Like I said before, Xbox G4 would be appropriate name because it's the fourth generation of the Xbox console.

I don't think G4 would be better at all. It instantly just reminds me of that group from x factor or whatever it was.

The more I see it the more I think it's very Amazon Echo / Google Home ish. Which could be how they want to market it. This tall standing hub that sits wherever you want. You talk to it in a similar fashion, using Cortana of course and the green light comes in through that mesh.

Have they said any more about the naming structure moving forward. Didn’t that say it would become clear or reflect the situation or something.

I’m just wondering if maybe, as more is revealed, they will say that the Xbox one x actually fits in at the lower tier of the series x and then they will have a mid and high tier model as well

I do think that maybe come the next reveal, it will be series 1 “insert suitable model name”

What with xcloud and game pass they have a real unique way of releasing games moving forward. All games will work on all series x consoles, but in different ways. So the new halo or the new fable etc would all be realistically playable on the current x maybe using power of xcloud

mentioned before but technically I will not have to buy a single game when I pick up whatever it is that’s in that big black box (a design I like, the original big Black box and duke controller where what got me into console gaming after years of commodore and pc)

what with game pass and again possibly xcloud, amazon will drop it off, I plug it in, it spemds time updating and then boom, my entire library is there to play. I can download what ever I want, maybe even stream it as it downloads.

I do have this feeling that part of further announcements will make all x owners feel warm and special by revealing they are already in the series x infrastructure

Last edited:
I'm sure the naming convention will become clear nearer launch.

IMG_20191215_095349.jpg

IMG_20191215_095354.jpg

IMG_20191215_095400.jpg

yes true names not a game changer i just think other choices would have been better more memorable and less confusing.

The size is a problem for me though i cant get it under the tv

I think the name will cause confusion on less clued up parents and poor Timmy is'nt going to be happy opening an Xbox One X instead of an Xbox Series X next Christmas.

yes true names not a game changer i just think other choices would have been better more memorable and less confusing.

The size is a problem for me though i cant get it under the tv
do you have your tv on a corner cabinet ? if so theyll be plenty of space behind your tv or even put a small corner shelf behind the tv
I think the name will cause confusion on less clued up parents and poor Timmy is'nt going to be happy opening an Xbox One X instead of an Xbox Series X next Christmas.
Timmy has been a little sh it anyway so he can play his minecraft on the OG Xbox :laugh:

Is it going to cool better standing as a tower compared to lying on its side? That will define where I put it.

Is it going to cool better standing as a tower compared to lying on its side? That will define where I put it.
Won't make much difference will it provided the large vent on top is kept well clear. For now I'm thinking mine will be placed up right as ms have designed it to be 😂

The Xbox One I believe has been more reliable then the PS4, its not know to have any more then the usual level of faults that’s for sure, the Xbox 360 days are long gone so I wouldn’t worry about reliability.
They are also marketing it as a games console to concentrate on playing games only.

I hope they add second HDMI port for audio only. My AVR doesn't support HDR so I need the second port for audio only and the first connect to the 4K PJ.

Like I said before, Xbox G4 would be appropriate name because it's the fourth generation of the Xbox console.

Microsoft didn't name the 360 as Xbox 2, the Xbox One as Xbox 3 and won't name the Xbox Series X as Xbox 4. One of the reasons for this is purely basic marketing. If they started numerically naming the consoles, they will always be one behind the naming of Sony's PlayStation and when young children pester mummy and daddy for things, 5 will always be better than 4 regardless of anything else.

Personally, I have no problem with Xbox Series X and will likely be putting in an order for day one. Of all the Xbox's, I've only skipped the Xbox One and went from a 360 to X.

Why not name it Xbox G4 instead of using a pathetic name for it?

Seems like lessons have not been learned from Xbox One.

Laughable.... Xbox G4 instead of a "pathetic name".... I'd say Xbox G4 would fit that description perfectly. What relevance would that name have for you to suggest it's so much better? Any mention of G4 and the first thing that comes to mind is a political summit not a games console.

You then say lessons haven't been learned from Xbox One... right so it was the name that screwed up the launch of this generation for Microsoft and allowed Sony to steal a march that they never looked back from?? Thanks for clearing that up.

You then say this is why more people will buy PS5.... because you think the names better.... what nonsense are you coming out with. People will buy a console based on it's merits. If the next Xbox is proven to be far superior than the PS5, people wont say well I'd rather have the best option, but I just prefer the PlayStation name so will get that instead. Ridiculous. Many will have already decided which they'll buy as either prefer one of the other or are heavily invested in one camp digitally, with peripherals etc, but many will also buy both regardless of what the consoles are called. The names make no difference whatsoever.

Also lots of negativity about the design and saying it's massive etc.... well it's hardly massive. If stood upright the footprint is actually really small. A coaster's footprint by comparison is roughly 4x4 and the new console will be 6x6 and about 12 inches tall. Comparisons to a PC tower are miles off the mark. My tower is significantly bigger than this would be as it's really deep as well as tall. Most PC towers are when they are packing serious hardware, this isn't anywhere near that size. I personally really like it and even more so because it's about being as functional and efficient as it can be and very quiet. That's far more important to me than looking flash.

I appreciate many with concerns over design are about it not fitting into shelves within a unit etc, but at the end of the day would you not have a decent sound system linked to the TV because speakers and especially a sub has to be separate? Of course not. This being relatively small, if it wont fit horizontally, could be stood next to the unit quite neatly, or on a large unit next to the TV itself or even behind the panel as normally plenty of wasted space there. Failing that use a longer HDMI lead and place it somewhere away from the unit altogether if need be, as hardly requires much physical interaction especially if people are all digital in the main.

Have they said any more about the naming structure moving forward. Didn’t that say it would become clear or reflect the situation or something.

I’m just wondering if maybe, as more is revealed, they will say that the Xbox one x actually fits in at the lower tier of the series x and then they will have a mid and high tier model as well

I do think that maybe come the next reveal, it will be series 1 “insert suitable model name”

What with xcloud and game pass they have a real unique way of releasing games moving forward. All games will work on all series x consoles, but in different ways. So the new halo or the new fable etc would all be realistically playable on the current x maybe using power of xcloud

mentioned before but technically I will not have to buy a single game when I pick up whatever it is that’s in that big black box (a design I like, the original big Black box and duke controller where what got me into console gaming after years of commodore and pc)

what with game pass and again possibly xcloud, amazon will drop it off, I plug it in, it spemds time updating and then boom, my entire library is there to play. I can download what ever I want, maybe even stream it as it downloads.

I do have this feeling that part of further announcements will make all x owners feel warm and special by revealing they are already in the series x infrastructure
This would be great but I think this bombshell would have been dropped now of the X was forwards compatible as the lower console. Main reason being that if they did this it would get the jump on the ps5 a year out. I keep looking at Xbox one's as I ended up getting cheap game pass for a couple of years for pc use and thinking about making more of it, if I knew the X would run the next gen games from day one as the lower powered tier of the next generation I would probably get myself one now and they could take advantage of this year's Christmas sales rush as well as next.

If they wanted to go all in on this approach the current S would work fine as the new backwards compatible console that can run xCloud, bump the X down to the "runs next gen native at 1080p" tier to replace the S and the new series X becomes the flagships top tier machine with 4k native. Would be a big disruption to the market ditching the traditional generational approach.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom