XG95 - GZ950 - Q90T

Stein67

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a very long story that I won't bore you with......a few of you know the score already!! (Dodge and LEDseeker - great help so far)

Anyway - these are my 3 options.....

SONY XG95 LCD 65" - £949 refurb (+£70 5yr warranty)

PANASONIC GZ950 OLED 65" - £1799 brand new (6yr Richer sounds warranty)

Samsung Q90T QLED 65" - £1759 - brand new (1yr warranty from Samsung direct)

I already have the Panasonic and the picture is great. I am due to receive the refurb Sony on Friday and was going to compare the two and return one at the start of next week. Then tonight I spotted I've 20% off Samsung and the Q90T is coming in at a very tasty price!!

Wouldn't mind hearing a few opinions.

I think we discussed this in PM but the Samsung Q90T isn't a great price really even with the discount. Its a new 2020 model and presently is overpriced. People were able to get the Q85R not long ago for £1400 before it sold out and that was with 5-6 year warranties included.

If you are also considering 75" Q90R (as you mentioned in your PM) that completely changes value for money. 75"+ is a niche market in Europe and OLED TVs cost quite a bit more than LCD TVs. In that instance spending £2000 for a 75" Q90R is a fantastic deal. The Q90R isn't really replaced in 2020, the Q90T being a tier down. The closer models to the Q90R in 2020 are the 8k Samsung's.

But I think you are starting to make life a bit harder on yourself. Take a break from making a decision and see what you make of the Sony versus the Panasonic when it comes.

I always say this, and its more for others to read than each poster. Remember that QLED is not a new display technology like OLED. TVs like the Q90T and Q90R that are marketed as 'QLED' are just LCD TVs. Don't be tricked by the marketing!

My opinion.

If you're in a darker room and don't need £800 keep the Panasonic.

If you're in a bright room I;d be more inclined to keep the Sony and pocket the extra cash.

I wouldn't bother with the Samsung. I'm sure it's a very decent set, but in 9-10 months time it will be discounted hugely and you'll know you've overpaid. 1-year warranty as well. Not a chance.

I agree with the above, especially if the Samsung only comes with a one year warranty it's way overpriced for what you get compared to the Sony and/or Panasonic.

Thanks guys, as always.

Yeah, think you're right I have a big enough decision with the Panasonic Vs Sony without another box arriving at the house!!

The main reason the Samsung's turn my head is the HDMI 2.1 but I've spoke on here about the fact I think its usefulness in real terms may be hyped up. Also at the price above, it's unlikely to drop past that until it's at end of production next year. Black Friday may get close though. Also, the 75" is now showing OOS. The Samsung prices are because the company has appeared on the "blue light card" deals again so 20% off.

The Panasonic is a stunning TV and is favourite to stay but the Sony will also be an impressive TV I'm sure, especially for the money. Considering this year may end up a stop gap year IF HDMI 2.1 proves itself important with the PS5 and Series X then £1000 may be enough to spend........but the picture on that Panasonic.......even with streaming UHD it was like looking through a freshly cleaned window!!

So yeah, not a bad headache to have but I just want to get sorted now. My JBL 9.1 arrived today so it's time one of these TVs became a permanent fixture and I can get round to watching more Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol on the big screen 😄

You have to make a compromise somewhere. If you want HDMI 2.1 and don't want to overpay for picture quality right now you need to consider purchasing at a later time.

Otherwise you get HDMI 2.1 with the Q90T (only a single port mind) but pay a lot for picture quality that is probably for the most part indistinguishable from the Sony XG9505 which costs less than half its price.

I'd buy a TV on its picture quality alone and worry about HDMI 2.1 later...or just don't buy anything and wait.

Yeah I'm heavily in favour of parking hdmi 2.1. If I could get it at a reasonable price I'd prefer to have it. But having researched it, I personally don't think it's a deal breaker or reason enough to solely focus on when making a purchase at the minute. It's very much "wait and see" how it pans out.

Well.....tomorrow is decision time and my head is pickled.

The £750 price difference is, of course, a factor but the Sony has a superb picture on it's own merits. I have used some online settings and it is pretty stunning. So we have a winner.......yeah, I think so but that Panasonic GZ950 was pretty spectacular!! Problem is it's hard to remember it when I've been using the Sony the past few days!!

I initially thought the Sony had about 30ish hours on it, and for a refurb thats superb but it actually turns out I was wrong.......it only had a couple of hours usage, even if that!! It was sitting at 19hrs last night and I had it on from Friday night and all day yesterday!!

Well.....tomorrow is decision time and my head is pickled.

The £750 price difference is, of course, a factor but the Sony has a superb picture on it's own merits. I have used some online settings and it is pretty stunning. So we have a winner.......yeah, I think so but that Panasonic GZ950 was pretty spectacular!! Problem is it's hard to remember it when I've been using the Sony the past few days!!

I initially thought the Sony had about 30ish hours on it, and for a refurb thats superb but it actually turns out I was wrong.......it only had a couple of hours usage, even if that!! It was sitting at 19hrs last night and I had it on from Friday night and all day yesterday!!
You got a lot of TV for the money, the Sony is a lot better value than the Panasonic. If you feel you don't notice much of a difference that makes the decision really easy! Congratz, glad you ended up with a goodun in the end.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom