Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short 5000 ANSI Lumens Laser Projector

Hi Chris,
I've been using home projectors in my house since the nineties, and overall this is right now the best spec and best performing ultra short throw projector. Picture quality is very good and bright (I guess this is the brightest UST PJ on the market?). Although using a very good screen is truly a plus especially if you often watch in a bright room.

I bought mine from ebay, and it's the chinese version. You can change the language later to english so it's not a problem. It has optical audio out, so if you want to connect it to the sonos, make sure it has an optical in. The built-in speakers is very good actually.

There is a very annoying problem with the optical out and HDMI Arc. When it plays digital sounds (like from netflix.. mostly are Dolby Digital), it has a sound delay of about 500msec. I'm still figuring out how to fix this. Apparently, this problem exists in all xiaomi PJ types. I've contacted xiaomi and they're aware of this problem, but until now, there has been no fix. I thought you should know this before buying it.

Also, if you're not used to using a projector, you might find the fan noise quite annoying. It's quieter compared to other PJs, but for me it's not quiet enough.

Hope this helps.

-bru
Hi Bru

Went ahead and purchased it anyway. I see what you mean about the lipsync. Did you buy that device that was suggested to you in the earlier post to fix this problem. Mine works fine on normal sky channels but when i watch HD channels there is a slight delay in sound.

Hi Chris,
I've been using home projectors in my house since the nineties, and overall this is right now the best spec and best performing ultra short throw projector. Picture quality is very good and bright (I guess this is the brightest UST PJ on the market?). Although using a very good screen is truly a plus especially if you often watch in a bright room.

I bought mine from ebay, and it's the chinese version. You can change the language later to english so it's not a problem. It has optical audio out, so if you want to connect it to the sonos, make sure it has an optical in. The built-in speakers is very good actually.

There is a very annoying problem with the optical out and HDMI Arc. When it plays digital sounds (like from netflix.. mostly are Dolby Digital), it has a sound delay of about 500msec. I'm still figuring out how to fix this. Apparently, this problem exists in all xiaomi PJ types. I've contacted xiaomi and they're aware of this problem, but until now, there has been no fix. I thought you should know this before buying it.

Also, if you're not used to using a projector, you might find the fan noise quite annoying. It's quieter compared to other PJs, but for me it's not quiet enough.

Hope this helps.

-bru

I have the new updated 4k version and have the same problem with my sonos too in that the lip sync is out and nothing i can do about it.

I do use apple tv and when using that the only work around i have found is to use airplay from apple tv to sonos and that fixes it. It's not much use however when using the Blu ray player

Through skys normal channels its fine, but through Sky HD channels it out. It has to be theirs no option to connect HDMI to sonos. Does optical out support HD?

Through Sky's normal channels its fine, but through Sky HD channels it out. It has to be there's no option to connect HDMI to Sonos. Does optical out support HD?
Well that was easy enough, I connected it to the network, it updated and it works, no lip sync issues anymore. For anyone thinking about buying this projector i would fully recommend it. Picture quality is amazing as is the sound quality. Purchased from bangood China and screen from XY screens. I have to say XY Screens were a pleasure to deal with. Gloria was so helpful. All communication was done on whats App. Which at first, i thought was strange, but was easier in the end as i could send pics and communicate more effectively.

So happy i took the decision to buy a projector.
Thanks
Chris

Hi guys!

I have two short questions (and yes, I tried to go through all of the 126 pages, but since I'm not an Englush native speaker it is a bit tricky for me to filter all informations in a right way):

1) Is it possible to make a reset of the projector (using Xiaomi non 4K, global version) when the image freezes? It happened to me once and I couldn't find any solution for that, so after several minutes of waiting and pointless clicking and holding various buttons on the remote I had to unplug it (I guess it's not the smartest move, but I literally had no idea what to do.)

2) Is it possible to use the projector as a sound system only? Only the speaker? Let's say that I want have Spotify installed and I want to play my fav music, but I want to turn image off. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks in advance for all of Your answers and help!

Wojtek

Dead pixels anyone?

I've got the 1080 (chinese) model, under 2 years old and gets relatively infrequent use...recently it's developed several (8) dead pixels. Pretty disappointed considering it hasn't seen a lot of use. Suggestions? Xiaomi isnt interested in helping me.

Tks

I desperately need help since I screwed up big time. I accidentally flashed an older Full ROM onto my fengmi 4K, but now, turns on and everything, but I have no visuals at all. It's just an empty dark screen. I tried doing the power off +ok/back button, but still nothing.
The OS is still there, but the laser doesn't seem to display an image. There is a small light coming out of the projector if I look down it, but nothing displaying any signs of a visual.

Is there a backdoor to access the bootloader where I can send ADB Commands like that? Like on cellphones, you hold the power+Vol Up... anything like that?

Or can I output this projector onto a monitor so I can actually see the UI to begin flash the proper files?

I'm seriously heart broken inside right now and wish I knew more.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED right now.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I've collected screen related comments from each forum about the various USTs and came up with the data dump using real user purchases and their comments:

FORUM UST owners screens and comments:

Xgimi Lune:
- Cinigrey ALR EliteScreen and it looked good in daylight from the side. If there is enough ambient light to cast a shadow in a picture
- Lune + CLR Starbright pairing was excellant
- Lune doesn't work as well with the current ALR screen

Xiaomi Wemax:
- Good: Elite Screens AEON CLR 90" - 120", 16:9, 0.6 Gain, Home Theater Fixed Frame Projection Screen
- Another guy ordered the same
- "way better": Elite Screens Aeon, 100-inch 16:9, Grey Material Active 3D, 4K Ultra HD Home Theater Fixed Frame EDGE FREE Projection Projector Screen, AR100H2
- this user has major ambient light issues with huge side windows
- "I looked into the Elite Screens CineGrey 3D but I read that it is not recommended for the UST projectors so I stuck with the regular CineGrey."

Xiaomi Mi UST
- Optoma ALR100 FixedFrame Accessories Optoma ALR100 FixedFrame Accessories
- Telon UST projector screen with Xiaomi mi laser projector
- Chinese manufacturers. This YouTube video quotes multiple prices and models:

- XYScreens 100" UST ~1,100USD
- Ust Ambient Light Rejecting Fabric | Projector Screen Fabric | Ambient...
- Telon 100" UST ~600USD with delivery
- "You have to email them and ask for a specific screen your after or go to alibaba and search for Telon UST projector screen"
- With lights on and the aspect ratio has lower black bar the screen seems rather washed out in fact the night scene seems washed out
- Shenzhen Telon Audio And Visual Equipment Co., Ltd. - Projection Screen
- SnowWhite 100" SN100LFH-E ~900USD
- SNOWHITE 100 inch diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio, Ultra Short - Throw Screen, Higher-Contrast, Vivid Colors, Wide Viewing Area 160 degree, Large Sizes, Zero Edge Frame(0.39 inch edge), SN100LFH-E
Amazon.com: SNOWHITE 100 inch Diagonal, 16:9 Aspect Ratio, Ultra Short - Throw Screen, Higher-Contrast, Vivid Colors, Wide Viewing Area 160 Degree, Large Sizes, Zero Edge Frame(0.39 inch Edge), SN100LFH-E: Office Products
- "Nov Niko I've done some research and i found the Telon screen is not PET Crystal like the snow white and XY screen. It is similiar, it's called PET Grid but I believe XY Screen does have the much better screen. The Snow white screen is PET Crystal but the gain of 0.42 is too low gain at 0.42, whereas XY has 0.8 gain. I've ordered an XY screen now, thanks for the help. P.S Elite Screens $3500 screen is also apparently PET Crystal."

Comments in general:
- No matter which manufacturer the UST material must have a gain of at least 0.8 !!!!!!!!
- "Well when comes to screen you need to answer one question: will it be a media center of all the family? Then u get a grey/black screen as it plays nice in a day light.. But it sucks out all the life/color at night.. if you want best colors for movie projections and can control lighting u go with with white. For UST has to be real str8 canvas.. so it makes it more complicated again."

Sorry for the lack of true formatting this was just a collection of notes I've made by going through various UST forums. Make of it as you will.

3DSammy, regarding the Telon screen. Do you happen to know if the screen was advertised as Pet Crystal, and then was found out it was Pet grid. Or was it advertised as Pet Grid to begin with?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
No way. I cut the original wire (as well as I shortened NoiseBlocker wire) and connected the original wire with the new NB fans. I used crimping tool to connect them instead of soldering. Pretty fast and reliable.

Hi. I changed everything likeyou wrote but projector after 25 min switch off. Do you know why? Did you have same problem?

Yes it can be ceiling mounted by flipping it upside down and changing the 'viewing aspect' from the Display settings menu.
Would I require an additional bracket to fix it to the ceiling, or is everything I need in the box?

Much better ceiling mount projectors out there... Wasting your money on this to ceiling mount it. Unless your looking for UST projector due to distance or obstacles on ceiling?
What would you recommend for similar money? Currently I can buy the Xiaomi for CHF1299 / US$1300 / £1'000

Very True - but the lumens output needs to be as good as this on a "normal" projector.
The biggest obstacle ironically in my setup is the ceiling.
It's only about 8 feet high b/c it's a basement; but since the ceiling is a drop ceiling - anything can be mounted - even 10 speakers, with ease.

However, after reading nearly all the posts here I realize it may be better to just dig a hole in the basement ground and place it there :)
The other benefit of placing it in ceiling is keep it away from kids.
I'm with you on this one, keep it out of the way from the kids ... better chance of survival.
Is the ceiling height a problem at 8ft?
My basement is ceiling is just over 7ft (2.16M) and I'm thinking of buying the Xiaomi. Woukld this be a problem?

Fantastic projector so far, loved it. The only drawback for me is the inability to select default input, it always boot into the Android TV home screen, which makes in a few more click to get to HDMI 1/2. I've read that some people can select this in Setting/ Input, but I only see the option to change the name of the input, not setting it as a default.
Booting it up by turning on the HDMI device (Apple TV) doesn't work either, it does turn on, but goes straight into Android TV Home screen.
My firmware is latest. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this case? Thanks!

Fantastic projector so far, loved it. The only drawback for me is the inability to select default input, it always boot into the Android TV home screen, which makes in a few more click to get to HDMI 1/2. I've read that some people can select this in Setting/ Input, but I only see the option to change the name of the input, not setting it as a default.
Booting it up by turning on the HDMI device (Apple TV) doesn't work either, it does turn on, but goes straight into Android TV Home screen.
My firmware is latest. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this case? Thanks!
You could try to install the MiProjecTivy tools here and in "input settings" select the input you want to activate on boot. You also need to enable the "MiProjecTivy Tools accessibility service".
It's tested and working on chinese projectors, and should also work on international devices.
Feedback is greatly appreciated (if fix is required or if it works as expected).

Last edited:
Dead pixels anyone?

I've got the 1080 (chinese) model, under 2 years old and gets relatively infrequent use...recently it's developed several (8) dead pixels. Pretty disappointed considering it hasn't seen a lot of use. Suggestions? Xiaomi isnt interested in helping me.

Tks

Hi thomper! You're not alone. : (

My Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short 5000 ANSI Lumens Laser Projector is about to be 2 years old.
In the last six months, 6 dead (bright white) pixels have appeared. It's terribly disturbing when watching movies. Of course, in the middle of the picture ...
Sometimes one of the bad pixels gets repaired by itself, and then goes wrong again in two days. I think this error can happen to anyone unexpectedly.

I don't know who could fix it, I would pay it. Repair of these devices after the warranty is completely unsolved.
I think the DMD chip should be replaced. Xiaomi and Chinese webshops say this projector can be used for 15 years. Okay, maybe, but it hasn't been written that this kind of malfunction can't be repaired.

Last edited:
Hello,

I just bought the Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short, netflix and amazon prime aren't available on play store?
Anyone have the solution ? .apk ?

Thanks

Hello,

I just bought the Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short, netflix and amazon prime aren't available on play store?
Anyone have the solution ? .apk ?

Thanks

easiest way would be to buy a fire stick i would say or if you are routed you'd be fine too

Hi, I'm new here and I hope you can help me guys. I bought one of this Laser Projectors Xiaomi, after 2 months of use I get the info about overheating and the system go off. Could not start it, never pass the Android logo, in the middle when the android icons are turning is going off. I spoke with the Xiaomi but not so much of help. Does anyone know where could be a problem? I opened the case to see if the fans are working and they do. When I'm trying to do the factory reset from the Service menu I have API 3 error message. Xiaomi Service sent me a file to put the system update from the USB dongle but unfortunately not help, I was wiping the data 3 times, after the auto reboot still going off on in the middle of the Android logo. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you for your time to read it and answer if possible.

Adam

Attachments

• 1576916390481.JPEG
    1576916390481.JPEG
    59.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 1577106332113.JPEG
    1577106332113.JPEG
    71.2 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Here is an example of what happens if you don't adjust settings properly on this projector when using HDMI 2.0 for playing 4K HDR content. I suggest using test patterns to properly set brightness and contrast, and also RGB. In order to do so, don't use Standard, Cool, or Warm color but select Custom which will give yo access to RGB.
Best place to start is this:
Brighntess 48-49
Contrast 50-55
Saturation 50
Sharpness 0-30
Hue 50
Red/Green/Blue 880-900 each
Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Colour off (unless in 3D mode)
RGB and Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Colour settings are missing in Global Version of Projector :(

I have a Global version of Xiaomi Laser Projector (white one), settings are much worse than Chinese version. There a are missing customs settings like RGB, Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Colour..you can't change them to get better picture quality. I use ALR screen and I compared it to my friend Chinese Version and he clearly have a better quality, black, brightness etc.. How to access those settings on Global version?

I have a Global version of Xiaomi Laser Projector (white one), settings are much worse than Chinese version. There a are missing customs settings like RGB, Dynamic Contrast and Dynamic Colour..you can't change them to get better picture quality. I use ALR screen and I compared it to my friend Chinese Version and he clearly have a better quality, black, brightness etc.. How to access those settings on Global version?
Does anyone has a fix for that? Because right now Global version is a complete cr.. ap. Whites are grey, blacks are grey. In darkness is perfect but would be this way asalso without expensive ALR screen and with a basic lamp projector with price tag of 500e I suppose.. :(

Attachments

• ae_1577877468287.jpg
    ae_1577877468287.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_20191228_191231.jpg
    IMG_20191228_191231.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 360

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom