Question XLR to RCA

Doug Pyper

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend any female XLR to male RCA cables, or XLR to RCA adapters? I need them to go between a processor and power amp, and the power amp doesn't have XLRs.

XLR.is higher voltage so I'd be wary doesn't blow the RCA Poweramp up.

I have used RCA to XLR , from RCA pre to XLR poweramp but never done it other way round

I think the voltage will halve when converted to RCA anyway so it shouldn't be an issue. XLR to RCA doesn't have the different wiring types issue of the other way round either.

Cable quality can be hit and miss with XLR to RCA in my experience with this connection from my DJ mixer to amp.

If your processor has unbalanced outputs, you would be better of using these than using a wired "converter cable" (better meaning in terms of audio quality), regardless of "cable quality".

If you need to use the balanced outputs, use a balun (Balun - Wikipedia) to effect the conversion immediately before the unbalanced target. The link explains how and why they work.

Hmmm, sounds like I might have to do a bit more research. I just lazily ordered these and assumed they'd be fine.

The processor doesn't have unbalanced outs (XMC-2) hence the need.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hmmm, sounds like I might have to do a bit more research. I just lazily ordered these and assumed they'd be fine.

Try them; they should be fine. Some adapters short the XLR negative which Emotiva say is not recommended but should not damage their products.

If you are okay with a soldering iron, I'd buy some reasonable quality cable, some sleeving and Nuetrik sockets and make your own. Especially if you are in lockdown !

Pin 2 is signal live, pins 1 and 3 are earthed

1588935429858.png

Cables complete-9513721.jpg

Try them; they should be fine. Some adapters short the XLR negative which Emotiva say is not recommended but should not damage their products.

I hope so. I confess the main motivation for choosing the Amazon ones was the delivery time, as they should arrive the same day as the processor.

The unnecessary stress comment in that Emotiva link does suggest I'd be better off with something like the Emotiva adapter longer term, or ideally getting an amp with XLR.

If you are okay with a soldering iron, I'd buy some reasonable quality cable, some sleeving and Nuetrik sockets and make your own. Especially if you are in lockdown !

Pin 2 is signal live, pins 1 and 3 are earthed

View attachment 1295466

View attachment 1295464

I'm sure I could have a bash at it, but I wouldn't trust myself to do as good a job as one off-the-shelf!

I’ve used xlr to rca cables from a nad processor to a NAD power amp with no issues at all. In fact I just bought a new processor that has only has XLRs and will also use from next week 6 xlr to rca cables to my M25 again - george

I’ve used xlr to rca cables from a nad processor to a NAD power amp with no issues at all. In fact I just bought a new processor that has only has XLRs and will also use from next week 6 xlr to rca cables to my M25 again - george
That's reassuring. What processor did you go for?

Just make sure the balanced output does not mind having pin 3 linked to pin 1, some kit does not like that and in that case pin 3 should be left unconnected

Wired up my lyngdorf to the NAD with XLRs to RCAs - sounds great and seems to work well - george

Which did you settle on?

Last edited:
Wired up my lyngdorf to the NAD with XLRs to RCAs - sounds great and seems to work well - george
What cables did you finally settle on?

I bought some xlr to rca cables from a retailer called Av online that custom makes them for you. I had 4 from a NAD processor that I used a while ago. I had to buy another 2 for the lyngdorf - george

I’ve had 2 of these for 2 of my Atmos speakers for a while and have had no issues.

I bought various xlr to rca from these guys worked out about £85 inc next day delivery for what I needed
Audio Cables

balanced out from 8802a to rotel power amps sounds better than the rcas I had been using as they were a mixed lot , only problem I found was that the auto sensing power on function didn't work as well as with rca so I ordered up some trigger cables to fix the problem

I bought various xlr to rca from these guys worked out about £85 inc next day delivery for what I needed
Audio Cables
Just a quick buff for these guys. I bought four XLR to RCA cables from them through Amazon. They made a mistake and only sent two. One quick email and they apologised and sent out the other two without quibble or question. Good cheap cables and quick friendly customer service to correct their mistake.

I bought the Emotiva ones. I think the ones you linked are ok for the Emotiva, but they’re also the ones which short the negative. It’s a minefield of confusion though.
I’m about to try and bridge a power amp from the Emotiva with RCA and totally confused as to what I need, the bridging seems to change something.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom