Question Xperia XA1 WiFi

Nakatsu_Hime

Established Member
Reaction score
I use my Sony Xperia XA1 to listen to mp3s saved on a NAS drive via a Seagate app. Up to now, this has been pain-free.
Recently, I have noticed that, after a length of time, playback stops, which didn't happen before, as long as I ensured that my phone's WiFi sleep setting was set to 'Always on' (or 'Never sleep', whichever way you like to see it).

Initially, my suspicions have fallen upon my WiFi router, because I have recently moved from EE, to BT, and now use the supplied BT-Hub.
However, logging into the router, I'm told that there have been no resets that would indicate an issue, and I note no other devices seem to have a similar issue with interruption.

As far as I know, there has been no Android update for my phone in the intervening period, nor an update for the NAS drive, and the hub's firmware tells me it's up to date.

Greetings - you pose a question about a specific piece of equipment and there's a chance that no-one else reading has that equipment and/or similar symptoms that can help.

I doubt it's an issue with your NAS, router, or Wi-Fi generally, but assertions are not evidence an "argument from incredulity" does not help, so I suggest a process to help you determine what is culpable, even if I cannot offer a solution. This is going to take a bit of time and effort to iteratively test things and by a "process of elimination" determine what is the most likely to cause of the problem. Sorry, but for some IT problems there's nothing for it but to methodically slog through testing bit by bit. So, in this order:

I assume that your NAS is connected to your router using an ethernet cable, if not it shouldn't matter much, but it would be preferable if it was.

Pick a few tunes to use as test subjects. It's important to always test using the same tunes, so we know we are not potentially confounding the analysis because some files are OK and some not.

Connect "something else" to your router using cabled ethernet - laptop of desktop computer would be good - if you don't have one, maybe see if you have any friends of family you could borrow one from to test (or invite them round to help you.) If you have got a games console that can connect using ethernet that can play music files, that will probably be just as good.

Using such as device, play your test files and see if they are OK. If they are, then you can infer there is no problem with the music files, your NAS or your router.

Disconnect the "test" computer and connect to your router using Wi-Fi (again, a laptop is the ideal tool to do this testing.) Repeat the test. If still OK, again we can infer, no problem with files, NAS or router and now we have proved Wi-Fi is OK.

Thusly, if the only time we have a "problem" is when using your Xperia, we can imply it is most likely an issue is with the Xperia and/or the Apps it is running and focus attention on finding a solution there.

Thank you for your response.
I accept my question was quite specific to my situation, and have found a workaround, but just for completeness, I shall answer your questions, in case it helps others.

- The NAS is attached to the router via ethernet;
- The symptom is the same for any mp3 over a certain length. I was playing Goon Shows, and they seemed to go silent after about 6-7 minutes, so the shorter individual music tracks did not give me that specific issue.
- The problem seemed to be specific to my phone, running Seagate's own app (supplied with the router).

I'm now using the VLC app with no issues, so I deduced that the problem lay in communication or a time-out between the Seagate app and the new BT router.
Unfortunately, my previous Asus router doesn't recognise my faster broadband, so that prevented my using that as a test.

Any road up, thanks again for the response. I shall put this down to the black-arts that is networking.

Thanks for letting us know. It will be useful for anyone else reading this thread in the future.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom