Question XTZ 10.17 Edge on offer- should I buy?

JordanP

Standard Member
Reaction score
So the newer edge models are now on offer... I'm thinking of picking up a 10.17, which is £450 delivered at the moment.

My room is roughly 4x4m.
Main purpose is home theatre, though I do listen to a lot of music too.

I was toying with the idea of getting an SVS PB1000... Would the 10.17 be a better option at £70 cheaper?

IMG_0364.JPEG

The xtz would probably be the better all rounder with the different eq options and can also be run in sealed.

I did see a pb 1000 on ebay for £250.
Have you checked out BK

I saw the PB1000 on ebay for 250. They're based in Wales and the sub is in bad shape, sadly.

I did consider the BK P12, but I want a ported sub and the BKs are a bit of an eye sore.

I saw the PB1000 on ebay for 250. They're based in Wales and the sub is in bad shape, sadly.

I did consider the BK P12, but I want a ported sub and the BKs are a bit of an eye sore.
Lol yeah there not my cup of tea etheir looks wise. Is £450 you max budget

Is £450 you max budget

Pretty much... I was considering the 12.17 edge for around £120 more, but the size concerns me (our front door is to the left and kitchen to the right of the pic.) Also, the more space it takes up, the more my wife will complain lol

Last edited:
Then again, I just checked and the 12" is roughly the same size as the PB1000... but £550 is a lot of quiche in comparison to what it's replacing

Then again, I just checked and the 12" is roughly the same size as the PB1000... but £550 is a lot of quiche in comparison to what it's replacing
Get the biggest one you can afford, you'd only end up the buyer's remorse otherwise.

I own 2 pb 2000 and a sb 2000 before that and can say svs do deliver in room shacking bass, plus a 5 year warranty.

I owned the 10.17 Edge.
Your room is not so big and the 10.17 edge will do fine.
If I wanted, it rattled the doors and more in my 7.50x4m room:D

I owned the 10.17 Edge.
Your room is not so big and the 10.17 edge will do fine.
If I wanted, it rattled the doors and more in my 7.50x4m room:D

Good to know. Did yours give out any port noise? I've read a few people had this issue with the 10"

I've read a few people had this issue with the 10"

Your room isn`t large, but you do have opening with the stairs going to another space so it ain´t normal sealed 4x4 room. If you can fit the 12.17 Edge to the left side then don´t think twice! Most people regret saving few bucks, buyers remorse will hit at some point. Port noise is something you definitely don´t want to be experiencing when enjoying movies so the 12.17 Edge is winner. Let your wife pick the finish and you should be good. :laugh: Notice the white finish comes with black front mask, not sure do they offer white option these days. For the smaller white they have (8.17).

speakers2-jpg.1115397

Your room isn`t large, but you do have opening with the stairs going to another space so it ain´t normal sealed 4x4 room. If you can fit the 12.17 Edge to the left side then don´t think twice! Most people regret saving few bucks, buyers remorse will hit at some point. Port noise is something you definitely don´t want to be experiencing when enjoying movies so the 12.17 Edge is winner. Let your wife pick the finish and you should be good. :laugh: Notice the white finish comes with black front mask, not sure do they offer white option these days. For the smaller white they have (8.17).

speakers2-jpg.1115397

I might just do it and risk her wanting a divorce :D

Yeah I was thinking of moving the whole setup to the right a bit then putting the sub in between the TV and the front left speaker. What do you think?
The last sub I tried directly in the left corner but the bass was a bit all over the place and sounded muddy. To the right (where the box is) is was less muddy, but lacking in pressure. Could've just been that sub though?

I might just do it and risk her wanting a divorce :D

Yeah I was thinking of moving the whole setup to the right a bit then putting the sub in between the TV and the front left speaker. What do you think?
The last sub I tried directly in the left corner but the bass was a bit all over the place and sounded muddy. To the right (where the box is) is was less muddy, but lacking in pressure. Could've just been that sub though?

Yes, put the order in for the 12" model! :cool: Just have some chocolate box and flowers ready for wife..

Try with the XTZ again cause it`s on different level to those market subs. I would rather have it on the left side opposite where the opening is, assuming you get it sound good. You can move it bit more to right on the left side(1/4 front wall) if it sounds boomy on corner. You could try swapping the place of left main and sub by pushing the mains more apart. They will go closer to side walls, but if you leave good space behind the speakers it could work fine.
I would guess they are now about 1,8m apart if you have 65" tv. Assuming you sit 3-4m away i would prefer to spread them bit more and then you can play with toe in angle some. Center channel is sadly too low shooting your knees, but without wall mounting tv you don´t have much options.

Yes, put the order in for the 12" model! :cool: Just have some chocolate box and flowers ready for wife..

Try with the XTZ again cause it`s on different level to those market subs. I would rather have it on the left side opposite where the opening is, assuming you get it sound good. You can move it bit more to right on the left side(1/4 front wall) if it sounds boomy on corner. You could try swapping the place of left main and sub by pushing the mains more apart. They will go closer to side walls, but if you leave good space behind the speakers it could work fine.
I would guess they are now about 1,8m apart if you have 65" tv. Assuming you sit 3-4m away i would prefer to spread them bit more and then you can play with toe in angle some. Center channel is sadly too low shooting your knees, but without wall mounting tv you don´t have much options.

Sod it, I may as well lol

Appreciate the advice. All of your assumptions are correct 👍

It's very annoying that the landlord installed that stupid light-box wall feature slightly off to the left, not dead centre :facepalm: . I'm gonna just have to let my OCD take a back seat and move the TV to the actual middle (which mean the box on the wall will not be aligned) and space out the front L/R. I just don't want the sub to be facing the side of the sofa or be in the way of access to the kitchen, so will try cornering it on an angle, facing the middle of the room.

Yeah, not much I can do about the centre speaker, sadly. That's the only place it can currently go. I could buy a taller TV cabinet to raise it a bit... I rent, so wall mounting isn't a viable option.

That’s a European site with price in euros rather than pounds. do they not have any UK stores?

Direct from xtzsound.eu

They do periodic deals. I got my second 12.17 Edge last November on the back of a Black Friday deal for £502.21 incl. import duty and delivery which is insanely good value.

Not for 2-3 years, after Jag and then the other guy ditched :(.

speakers2-jpg.1115397
Is this your TV cabinet, if so where was it purchased please?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom