XTZ 12.17 Subwoofer thread

I just read that the government might be giving us money to help the economy. Could we use the £500 to buy a sub? Just a thought.

If they did, I would expect them to be spent saving UK jobs and livelihoods. When is XTZ.co.uk opening???

TZ 12.17 Edge - where does one buy one of these in the UK?

Hi frustin, I reckon you have to go direct through the XTZ site. Although it was quick. They had on the site that stock was not available till August so I placed a paypal order 10 days ago thinking I had a wait on my hands. Turns out it'll be here this Thursday, shipped from Sweden.

The Edge has landed. My wife signed for it as she was painting the living room of the new house while I was at work nervously tracking the non-information given by Fedex. I sort of told her to expect a delivery but not exactly what.
Anyway, she’s come down from the ceiling now.
Her concerns were “it looks big”, so I’m guessing that it isn’t the right time to mention that it was nearly a Mono + that was delivered. And she has concerns about the neighbours. I think that our new neighbour is getting on for 90 but then is it also true that one of the last senses to leave us is that of subsidence inducing bass.
Looking forward to moving in now. Setting up a surround system and having a hob with a wok burner 😊

Leave the box in the sub position so she gets used to it and then when opened it will feel smaller 😊

My XTZ 12.17 looks like a toy next to the Monolith Plus :D Also you need two people to move Monolith around while I can happily move 12.17 around on my own.

My XTZ 12.17 looks like a toy next to the Monolith Plus :D Also you need two people to move Monolith around while I can happily move 12.17 around on my own.

The guy who brought my Monolith looked of average build and he carried it himself through the car park, in the lift stood with it, and down the corridor into my flat.

The guy who brought my Monolith looked of average build and he carried it himself through the car park, in the lift stood with it, and down the corridor into my flat.
I guess I'm just not strong enough 😭

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on this?

I moved some speakers around recently and reran Audyssey.

My XTZ Cinema 1x12 Sub (on the back of the Sub) is set to:
Low Pass Filter Off
Maximum Crossover (160Hz)
Volume (Gain) is set to the Ref setting - which I believe means that the AVR sets it.

When I run Audyssey Xt32 on my Denon X6400H Amp the calibration process says the Sub is set too loud? :( I have no apparent way of turning it down when Sub gain is set to Ref.

So I then switched the Sub Gain dial to the lowest it will go... and the Denon still says 78db! I cannot get it lower to 75db.

So I left it at 78db, let Audyssey do it's thing... once complete I checked the Speaker Calibration Details on the Denon and the Sub has been set to -5 db and all speakers have been set very low (L/R -5,5db, Centre -6db, Surrounds -6.5db, Rears -6db, Atmos -4db).

I tried my UMIK-1 into REW to check spl sound levels and REW is saying that compared to the other speakers the SUB is set way to low :eek:

Am now completely confused ! Thoughts and help?

I have a similar problem. I have a huge room mode at 40hz, so the eq tells me to turn the subs right down. Barely on min. Think I have got it sorted out through the setting on the Anthem ARC, but it doesn’t feel right having the subs on such low gain setting.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on this?

I moved some speakers around recently and reran Audyssey.

My XTZ Cinema 1x12 Sub (on the back of the Sub) is set to:
Low Pass Filter Off
Maximum Crossover (160Hz)
Volume (Gain) is set to the Ref setting - which I believe means that the AVR sets it.

When I run Audyssey Xt32 on my Denon X6400H Amp the calibration process says the Sub is set too loud? :( I have no apparent way of turning it down when Sub gain is set to Ref.

So I then switched the Sub Gain dial to the lowest it will go... and the Denon still says 78db! I cannot get it lower to 75db.

So I left it at 78db, let Audyssey do it's thing... once complete I checked the Speaker Calibration Details on the Denon and the Sub has been set to -5 db and all speakers have been set very low (L/R -5,5db, Centre -6db, Surrounds -6.5db, Rears -6db, Atmos -4db).

I tried my UMIK-1 into REW to check spl sound levels and REW is saying that compared to the other speakers the SUB is set way to low :eek:

Am now completely confused ! Thoughts and help?

Most people aim for 78-80db with Audussey (one sub). The -5db is fine, some people want even higher negative trim figure (-8db or so) so that they can run it hotter post Audussey while staying on the minus db side (=safe). If you now go to menu and drop that -5db let`s say to -2db it could be just fine. Some movies need more boosting and some less. Quite easy to do from receiver menu..

From SVS article: The desired AVR subwoofer channel level after running auto-set-up is in the -8 to -4 range (typically on a scale of -12 to +12).

There's 3 xtz subs for sale on eBay. They're all 10.17 if anyone's after one.

Seeing as you've both subs, How does the 12.17 compare to the monolith?

Seeing as you've both subs, How does the 12.17 compare to the monolith?
The 12.17 is a great sub and I do like how versatile it is but if I were to give one away it would be the 12.17. Monolith plus feels more impactful in the room and just overall fills the space a bit better. The difference is not night and day but you can tell there is a difference, I feel like 12.17 is working much harder to achieve the same bass as Monolith plus is doing. That said Monolith plus is much much bigger in size and the port is huge, can't stick a fist in it and still have free space :D

Both are brilliant subs that's why I got them and they seem to work well together as well but personally for me Monolith plus is just a better sounding subwoofer that provides more impactful bass. Plus I did experience port chuffing with 12.17 which wasn't that great :(

The ports are obviously undersized but this is the price you pay for a small box!

There is only one port open which most people opt for movie use. @John24ssj is still using the REF + both ports open for extra mid-bass without sacrifying too much low end? This is not what most people use so i`m wondering does it have port noise in this mode as there is now two ports moving air?

The 17 serie came many years ago to market which i remember quite clear still. What is bit suprising is there wasn´t talk of port noise then and the normal 10.17 & 12.17 were popular. Reviews including AVForums haven`t mention any port noise either, not even the French one with REW data + comparison to PB1000 or the new Nordic tests which includes group test against double the price products and they loved 12.17 Edge. People are playing the start of Edge of Tomorrow which is bit of stupidity. Even the SVS PB16U has port noise with that. Not sure what people are expecting if the sub can play bit under 20hz strongly, but the start of that movie has 10hz stuff. Some US members have killed drivers with that pushing too loud.

Last edited:
I have pushed to up to -10 dB on my anthem but in my 3 years owning 12.17 I have never come across port noise. May be I am lucky

Likewise, never had port noise.

There is only one port open which most people opt for movie use. @John24ssj is still using the REF + both ports open for extra mid-bass without sacrifying too much low end? This is not what most people use so i`m wondering does it have port noise in this mode as there is now two ports moving air?

The 17 serie came many years ago to market which i remember quite clear still. What is bit suprising is there wasn´t talk of port noise then and the normal 10.17 & 12.17 were popular. Reviews including AVForums haven`t mention any port noise either, not even the French one with REW data + comparison to PB1000 or the new Nordic tests which includes group test against double the price products and they loved 12.17 Edge. People are playing the start of Edge of Tomorrow which is bit of stupidity. Even the SVS PB16U has port noise with that. Not sure what people are expecting if the sub can play bit under 20hz strongly, but the start of that movie has 10hz stuff. Some US members have killed drivers with that pushing too loud.
Port velocity will be lower with two ports open, so there should be less chuffing with both open compared to just one.

Chuffing is an indication of port compression, which is an indication that the ports are undersized. The solution to this of course is larger ports, however in a box this size that wouldn’t be possible, hence a trade off has been made. The monolith is about the right size for any decent 12” driver with a low 20s tune.

I originally had one 12.17 and experienced port noise, then got another and no longer have this, an expensive solution but was planning on going dual. I can see that those who don’t have port noise are also running duals.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom