Yamaha A-S1200 Arrived Today

Johnyt

Standard Member
Reaction score
My new A-S1200 arrived today, a nice job for the weekend. Looking forward to hooking this up to the turntable.

I have a 10 year old Onkyo TX-NR807 that I'll be running side by side for now. I can probably run the front pre-outs of the Onkyo into the main in on the A-S1200. This should save swapping speaker cables over when I want to watch a movie/TV (so front L&R from Yamaha, centre & surrounds from Onkyo). Sadly I think the Onkyo's 12v trigger out is only for Zone 1/2 not for the main output. So I'll have to manually turn both on for now.

I had considered replacing the Onkyo with a Yamaha RX-V685. This has a main 12v trigger and dedicated front pre-outs. This would also kill the need for my music cast steamer as it has this and USB ect built in. Looks a good value AV Amp but looking around it seems it's already discontinued. Might try to find a used one.

as1200.jpg

Congrats on your new purchase! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this beauty. Not sure if this is the case with As1200 but my As3000 took few hours to open up. Enjoy your weekend :D I must resist the urge of As3200... LOL

Also what speakers do you have?

I know it's shallow and it's all about the audio quality but that defensively works for me as a good looking amp, there's something about backlit VU meters that works for me. it's on my "stereo system for the extension I want to build" shortlist, which actually is more like a very long list at the moment TBH

Nice amp, well jealous, I agree with @Jamie, the VU meters are a nice addition and finish the amp off. Would love to upgrade to one of these, but 1 it'll cost me a fortune as would need to upgrade everything else and 2 my mrs would kill me if I upgraded so soon.

I've included a chunk in the extension budget for what I consider a really nice stereo stereo.
I do most of the washing up but my wife still wants a dishwasher so it's fair enough right?

I know it's shallow and it's all about the audio quality but that defensively works for me as a good looking amp, there's something about backlit VU meters that works for me. it's on my "stereo system for the extension I want to build" shortlist, which actually is more like a very long list at the moment TBH
Shallow is so cool.....👍

My new A-S1200 arrived today, a nice job for the weekend. Looking forward to hooking this up to the turntable.

I have a 10 year old Onkyo TX-NR807 that I'll be running side by side for now. I can probably run the front pre-outs of the Onkyo into the main in on the A-S1200. This should save swapping speaker cables over when I want to watch a movie/TV (so front L&R from Yamaha, centre & surrounds from Onkyo). Sadly I think the Onkyo's 12v trigger out is only for Zone 1/2 not for the main output. So I'll have to manually turn both on for now.

I had considered replacing the Onkyo with a Yamaha RX-V685. This has a main 12v trigger and dedicated front pre-outs. This would also kill the need for my music cast steamer as it has this and USB ect built in. Looks a good value AV Amp but looking around it seems it's already discontinued. Might try to find a used one.

as1200.jpg
I love my 2100 amp so I’m sure you’ll enjoy the sound. Yamaha, so underrated but those in the know.....know! 👍

I've got it mostly set up for now. I have a couple more cables to order, after shuffling things about their a bit too short. The new QED speaker cable is also hooked up so the whole system may need some settling time.

The Pre-out from the Onkyo to the Main-in of the Yamaha works great. I can control the overall 5.1 volume with just the Onkyo's remote. The Onkyo is obviously switched out when I select phono, tuner ect. The only niggle is the Onkyo wont 12v trigger out on the main zone so I have to turn the Yamaha on separately. Not a hardship I know but would be nice if it all came on with a touch of a single button. Any ways still much better than swapping speaker cables each time I want to go between the turntable and streaming Netflix etc.
I'm on the look out for a used Yamaha AV that will make life easier. already made a separate want add for it.

Already very happy with the improved audio quality, it's quite addictive. I'm not much of word smith so cant really describe how other than there's more energy and I'm just hearing more of the music. The VU meters look great as others have said. I must admit it was a large factor when choosing this beast.

Last notable upgrade is the stylus. The 2M blue is my first cart and I've made all the usual first timer mistakes with it. I should of started with a much cheaper one. I've got an MP200 to go in but I'll wait till every thing else has settled first.

Some one asked about my speakers. Their a 10 year old pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX6 floor standers. As mentioned these are hooked up to the Yamaha. The centre and surrounds are also MA Silvers which the Onkyo drives along with the REL T3. When my bank balance has recovered I'll replace at least the Floor standers with Dali Rubicons or something, yet to decide 100% and probably wont be until xmas. It's only because of candled holidays that we've splashed out on some new stuff here.

as1201.jpg

Last edited:
I've got it mostly set up for now. I have a couple more cables to order, after shuffling things about their a bit too short. The new QED speaker cable is also hooked up so the whole system may need some settling time.

The Pre-out from the Onkyo to the Main-in of the Yamaha works great. I can control the overall 5.1 volume with just the Onkyo's remote. The Onkyo is obviously switched out when I select phono, tuner ect. The only niggle is the Onkyo wont 12v trigger out on the main zone so I have to turn the Yamaha on separately. Not a hardship I know but would be nice if it all came on with a touch of a single button. Any ways still much better than swapping speaker cables each time I want to go between the turntable and streaming Netflix etc.
I'm on the look out for a used Yamaha AV that will make life easier. already made a separate want add for it.

Already very happy with the improved audio quality, it's quite addictive. I'm not much of word smith so cant really describe how other than there's more energy and I'm just hearing more of the music. The VU meters look great as others have said. I must admit it was a large factor when choosing this beast.

Last notable upgrade is the stylus. The 2M blue is my first cart and I've made all the usual first timer mistakes with it. I should of started with a much cheaper one. I've got an MP200 to go in but I'll wait till every thing else has settled first.

Some one asked about my speakers. Their a 10 year old pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX6 floor standers. As mentioned these are hooked up to the Yamaha. The centre and surrounds are also MA Silvers which the Onkyo drives along with the REL T3. When my bank balance has recovered I'll replace at least the Floor standers with Dali Rubicons or something, yet to decide 100% and probably wont be until xmas. It's only because of candled holidays that we've splashed out on some new stuff here.

as1201.jpg
I like it! I think she is a keeper. It is nice to see Yamaha start to get more appreciation. As3000, 2100 and even 1100 never did get as much appreciation as new 3200, 2200, and 1200 do now. I wished Yamaha did a less expensive turntable as cant afford GT5000 and vinyl 500 sounds like Audio Technica 120x with a cheap inbuilt streamer. Nonetheless, let us know what you think once Yammie settles in :D

Here is my Beauty As3000 in the temporary room as I'm refurbishing my loft
20200805_172630.jpg

quick google seems to suggest the YP-D10/D8/D71 or the earlier GT2000 version of the GT5000 are worth looking out for.

Last edited:
Not many available to buy nor I know which ones were good at the time. Any thoughts? Thanks

Vinylengine is a good resource. At the lower end the d7/d9 & gt750 are good. At the high end the gt2000 is good too. First bunch £590-750 or more for excellent. Gt2000 £2000 and up depending on condition and which of the many accessories it has. They are occasionally for sale here. Often in Europe and always in Japan. Be aware for most you’ll need a step down transformer to 100v. Also when looking at them or any others of the era stick to fully manual tt’s. Generally if they need work most competent techs can help and replace electronics as they’re common stuff. Once you get into auto or semi auto it’s much more difficult to fix.

as1201.jpg
Is that a functioning full fat model ps3?

Yep it's the good old 60gb model. I upgraded the drive to a SSD and improved the cooling. It was quite a good deal back when it was new. A console, Blu-ray and SACD player in one box. My daughter likes little big planet and the FF games so we kept it.

Yep it's the good old 60gb model. I upgraded the drive to a SSD and improved the cooling. It was quite a good deal back when it was new. A console, Blu-ray and SACD player in one box. My daughter likes little big planet and the FF games so we kept it.
My fat died :( , but still got a slim for kids to game on and for blurays to reduce wear on my ps4pro bluray drive.

Yeah it's always a good idea to set up something separate for the kids.

I've had the A-S1200 set up and running for well over a week now with a lot of use. It's settled in very nicely.

I bought an ex-display Yamaha RX-V685 to replace the Onkyo. Sadly it was faulty on arrival displaying a USB Overloaded error message each time it switched on, there was nothing plugged into the USB. It is a feature I want to use in the future so it had to go back. I think even if I didn't end up using the USB that error message would bug me every time. I'll now wait for the next gen models and buy a brand new one. The Onkyo still works I'll just have to do without the trigger function for now, my girls have already got the hang of switching on both amps so it's less of an issue any way.

Took a trip to my parents house last night. They dug out from the attic a bunch of their old LPs for me to take on. Some nice albums from Cream, Yes, Bowie etc.
Also found a bunch of those cheesy Helta Skelta tapes I used to listen to in the late 90s plus my old Walkman. It still works! :eek:
For a bit of a joke I hooked the Walkman up to the spare tuner input of the A-S1200 and uploaded it to YouTube. People usually demo quality jazz, rock etc on these videos. Lets see how many dislikes this cheese gets lol.

Where did you buy the 1200 from? Non of the retailers Yamaha recommend have them near my home on the wirral

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom